Hardware Bargains - Open Thine Wallet

enerdude

Expert Member
Be careful! These may not be Haribo brand but seem suspiciously close.
This is just one of many similar reviews.

(Very long but K@K funny. Literally).

Sorry for off topic but it's worth it.
Yeah someone posted that review before. The PnP ones does not claim to be Haribo though, they are Maynards which is proudly SA.

insect

Don't know if its been posted before, but the Samsung Store is selling the Glap Gaming Pad for android/pc for R799 - on amazon these go for over 2k - with shipping over 3k - Geewiz imports them and sells for 2.7k.

I see local reviews mention Vodacom4U sold them for 1.3k but cant find any on the site, still a saving with Samsung store.

Just got mine, feels very nice. I see GTA 3 for R79 on the play store. :unsure: And theres also steam link.
Glap-Play-P1-Controller-Review-Cape-Town-Guy-23.jpg

cenredash

Expert Member
Don't know if its been posted before, but the Samsung Store is selling the Glap Gaming Pad for android/pc for R799 - on amazon these go for over 2k - with shipping over 3k - Geewiz imports them and sells for 2.7k.

I see local reviews mention Vodacom4U sold them for 1.3k but cant find any on the site, still a saving with Samsung store.

Just got mine, feels very nice. I see GTA 3 for R79 on the play store. :unsure: And theres also steam link.
View attachment 967038

Great deal. It was R2700 on gee wizz

johnjm

Expert Member
Any idea why these Kingston SSD's come with a 6 month warranty?

120GB A400 SATA3 2.5 SSD

Takealot doesn’t want to honour the manufacturers warranty so they offer the minimum warranty stipulated but the CPA.

That, or hey don’t pay attention to the product description. I’d be weary if that is their actually policy.

enerdude

Expert Member
Digitech Extension 20m Reel 10A 1.0mm - R249 from Pnp
Same extension is R500 at Game and R400 at Takealot.

Handy to get power to those hardware bargain devices :p

As I was going to pay for delivery (R60), decided to add some beer (cider) while I was at it - some hunters dry and also try the new hunters red apple which is also on special for R125 for 12

itareanlnotani

Expert Member
Digitech Extension 20m Reel 10A 1.0mm - R249 from Pnp
Same extension is R500 at Game and R400 at Takealot.

Handy to get power to those hardware bargain devices :p

As I was going to pay for delivery (R60), decided to add some beer (cider) while I was at it - some hunters dry and also try the new hunters red apple which is also on special for R125 for 12
Are you sure same spec? - 1mm is inadequate imho for a 20M cable, 1.5mm would be safer, 2.5mm would be best.

Given people will likely be running 2kw+ garden equipment from these, its far too thin.

You know what. It's not a bargain, its a fire hazard.

Last edited:

airborne

Honorary Master
Are you sure same spec? - 1mm is inadequate imho for a 20M cable, 1.5mm would be safer, 2.5mm would be best.

Given people will likely be running 2kw+ garden equipment from these, its far too thin.
1mm core is mighty thin, that's like the cable the shty Chinese shop electric goods that cut just about every corner known to man will have on their 220v input cables.

Do not run a hair dryer on one of those extensions

enerdude

Expert Member
Are you sure same spec? - 1mm is inadequate imho for a 20M cable, 2.5mm would be safer.

Yeah had a look at the model nr on the reel and it says LE20MSER, 10A, Max 2200W - this model is 10A while there is a more expensive 16amp like this one at builders. It states 1.5mm in the heading but in the specs below that the cable diameter is 10mm, same as the Pnp one, so it is quite contradictory.

If I measure the actual diameter of the Pnp one it seems to be 5 mm for the outer casing, so I guess they refer to the three wires's diameters inside the casing?

Most of the sites that advertise this same extension model has discrepancies between the item heading and specs below, e.g. Builders advertise 1.5mm but in description says "CABLE DIAMETER -10 mm"

Some links to this same extension and pricing:

Game - R519
Takealot - R399
Builders - R365
and lastly old 2018 special on this same extension at Mica - R269

So I reckon R249 is a good deal.

1mm core is mighty thin, that's like the cable the shty Chinese shop electric goods that cut just about every corner known to man will have on their 220v input cables.

Do not run a hair dryer on one of those extensions

No you are wrong, the extension reel I am replacing I bought more than 4 years ago at Builders - it has the same specs. Reason I had to replace it was due to the side panel being crappy quality, guess because it is a less well know brand (Radiant). After around 3 years of use the one 3 point plug stopped working (clip inside broke so could not insert a plug anymore) and recently something went wrong inside the whole panel as it started tripping the power without anything plugged in - think something else broke inside causing a short.

The extension was actually used at client's premises to plug a 2000w blower, in order to blow out pcs for maintenace purposes.

I have more trust in the Digitech brand though, so hopefully this one will be better than the Radiant one.

Edit: Another interesting thing is that the specs on all sites that sell this model says "Heavy duty use"

Last edited:

itareanlnotani

Expert Member
Yeah had a look at the model nr on the reel and it says LE20MSER, 10A, Max 2200W - this model is 10A while there is a more expensive 16amp like this one at builders. It states 1.5mm in the heading but in the specs below that the cable diameter is 10mm, same as the Pnp one, so it is quite contradictory.

If I measure the actual diameter of the Pnp one it seems to be 5 mm for the outer casing, so I guess they refer to the three wires's diameters inside the casing?

Most of the sites that advertise this same extension model has discrepancies between the item heading and specs below, e.g. Builders advertise 1.5mm but in description says "CABLE DIAMETER -10 mm"

Some links to this same extension and pricing:

Game - R519
Takealot - R399
Builders - R365
and lastly old 2018 special on this same extension at Mica - R269

So I reckon R249 is a good deal.

No you are wrong, the extension reel I am replacing I bought more than 4 years ago at Builders - it has the same specs. Reason I had to replace it was due to the side panel being crappy quality, guess because it is a less well know brand (Radiant). After around 3 years of use the one 3 point plug stopped working (clip inside broke so could not insert a plug anymore) and recently something went wrong inside the whole panel as it started tripping the power without anything plugged in - think something else broke inside causing a short.

The extension was actually used at client's premises to plug a 2000w blower, in order to blow out pcs for maintenace purposes.

I have more trust in the Digitech brand though, so hopefully this one will be better than the Radiant one.

Edit: Another interesting thing is that the specs on all sites that sell this model says "Heavy duty use"

1mm / 1.5mm / 2.5mm / 4mm. etc refer to the core diameter not the shielding.
While you might risk running a 2KW blower on a 20m x 1mm cable, I would consider that a fire hazard, especially if its run for any sustained length of time.

1mm at 240v will carry about 8A = thats 1920w.
Losses on that cable will be about 3.5% at that distance on 1mm cable (8a x 20m)/45 = 3.5%
Theoretical max rating would then be 1850w for 1mm on 20m.

So, those are literally not rated for 2KW. With some safety margin, I'd suggest 1500w max on a 1mm cable, and even then I wouldn't run that for extended periods of time.

Those 1mm rolls are dangerous as users will plug in equipment thats not rated for that cable - like you.
The cable will get hot, and can melt the sheath and short. Especially if its still partially rolled up.
Electrical fire here we come.

1607186081261.png

Again, those are unsafe, and a fire hazard. Stick to 1.5mm minimum, or 2.5mm cables (better).

Jake45

Expert Member
According to this table 1.0mm^2 mains cable should be able to carry 10A safely. I have been using a 20m extension cable on my 1800W mower that has an external diameter of 7mm and it has worked reliably for many years - I am not sure what type of wire is inside but I would guess that it is only 1.0mm^2.
https://www.diynot.com/pages/el/el004.php

The problem with cheap extension cables is usually the connectors. If the 15A plug socket does not make good contact with the prongs of the plug it will get very hot and fail after a short time. Some of the Chinese electrical equipment that I have purchased from local hardware stores is of a very low quality but some products have exceeded my expectations. That extension cable also has a good selection of different plug types.

This 25m lawnmower extension cable uses 1.0mm^2 cable.

Last edited: