Hardware Bargains - Open Thine Wallet

itareanlnotani

Expert Member
According to this table 1.0mm^2 mains cable should be able to carry 10A safely. I have been using a 20m extension cable on my 1800W mower that has an external diameter of 7mm and it has worked reliably for many years - I am not sure what type of wire is inside but I would guess that it is only 1.0mm^2.
https://www.diynot.com/pages/el/el004.php

The problem with cheap extension cables is usually the connectors. If the 15A plug socket does not make good contact with the prongs of the plug it will get very hot and fail after a short time. Some of the Chinese electrical equipment that I have purchased from local hardware stores is of a very low quality but some products have exceeded my expectations. That extension cable also has a good selection of different plug types.
Your "old" one is likely 1.5mm

I've only seen 1mm cable sold on rolls fairly recently. Similar to how the rolls used to be metal, and are now plastic crap. New 1mm is also possibly stranded copper, which will rate for less than solid core.
Cheap currency = cheap crap sold here.

I wonder if that even has SABS approval (the 1mm 20m roll)

The lawnmower cable you link to may claim to be 2500w capable, but thats just a claim.

If I was getting an extension cable - I'd get something like this - https://www.adendorff.co.za/product/kosmo-reel-30m-extension-cord-with-reel-1-5-mm/

Sure, its double the price, but its also built to last.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yuu

airborne

Honorary Master
Yeah had a look at the model nr on the reel and it says LE20MSER, 10A, Max 2200W - this model is 10A while there is a more expensive 16amp like this one at builders. It states 1.5mm in the heading but in the specs below that the cable diameter is 10mm, same as the Pnp one, so it is quite contradictory.

If I measure the actual diameter of the Pnp one it seems to be 5 mm for the outer casing, so I guess they refer to the three wires's diameters inside the casing?

Most of the sites that advertise this same extension model has discrepancies between the item heading and specs below, e.g. Builders advertise 1.5mm but in description says "CABLE DIAMETER -10 mm"

Some links to this same extension and pricing:

Game - R519
Takealot - R399
Builders - R365
and lastly old 2018 special on this same extension at Mica - R269

So I reckon R249 is a good deal.

No you are wrong, the extension reel I am replacing I bought more than 4 years ago at Builders - it has the same specs. Reason I had to replace it was due to the side panel being crappy quality, guess because it is a less well know brand (Radiant). After around 3 years of use the one 3 point plug stopped working (clip inside broke so could not insert a plug anymore) and recently something went wrong inside the whole panel as it started tripping the power without anything plugged in - think something else broke inside causing a short.

The extension was actually used at client's premises to plug a 2000w blower, in order to blow out pcs for maintenace purposes.

I have more trust in the Digitech brand though, so hopefully this one will be better than the Radiant one.

Edit: Another interesting thing is that the specs on all sites that sell this model says "Heavy duty use"

A 2000W blower??!

The Makita blower I have, a model which is typically used by industrial electricians for blowing out electrical gear and is rated as heavy duty due to the size of its over rated motor is only 600W.

enerdude

Expert Member
A 2000W blower??!

The Makita blower I have, a model which is typically used by industrial electricians for blowing out electrical gear and is rated as heavy duty due to the size of its over rated motor is only 600W.
My client does some spray painting work, so they have compressors used for spray painting which I incorrectly call a blower cause we have an attachment that we put on the end to blow out dirty pcs. I know it pulls 2000W cause I have a kill-o-watt plug that I measured it with before.

Digitech is a well known south african brand and I an sure it is fine for general home use. The crappy Radiant one I bought from Builders lasted me 5 years and did not even have specs stated on the side of the reel like this Digitech (10A 250V-Max-2200W)

I did not suggest outdoor use so not sure why people here stated they wanted to use it for such. Only outdoor use I had with mine was sometimes to run a hairdryer to blow the the charcoal of a fire that was dying, lol. Your average hair dryer use 1500W but can be upto 1800 / 2000W on some. Other than that it was also used to drive a vacuum cleaner used to clean a duplex apartment.

Never had a problem so yeah definitely can't see why the big fuss. But yeah bit of a derailment, lets get on topic again.

Those 1mm rolls are dangerous as users will plug in equipment thats not rated for that cable - like you.
The cable will get hot, and can melt the sheath and short. Especially if its still partially rolled up.
Electrical fire here we come.
Dude I know what I'm doing when it comes to power. I have installed my own inverter and batteries at home. I also use a kill-a-watt meter (like this) to measure appliances before I plug them in. Besides, these extensions have overload protection built in (as stated on the back of the reel), so chances of fires and stuff are minimum.

I have never had my Radiant reel's cable heat up but then again blowing out a pc took 30 - 45s so never ran 2000W for a prolonged time. Once again the digitech which is a good brand has overload protection that should be safe if one should run it for a prolonged period as it should trip the mains (like my broken one).

Lastly everywhere this digitech is advertised it is stated as capable of 'heavy duty' - I would imagine that means indoor heavy duty use - like in my case when used in a duplex up and down stairs with lots of pulling on the cable etc - my old Radiant one did the job for a long time.

Last edited:

johnjm

Expert Member
To try to back to the thread, I got the last power bank with power delivery on takealot for 289. Best I’ve seen for a 20000mah with that spec.

enerdude

Expert Member
this is now a thread on extension cables ffs ...

Maybe the thread needs to be renamed to Computer Hardware Bargains
Nah stuff like powerbanks is hardly Computer related as an example

But yeah bit of a derailment, lets get on topic again.
This happens from time to time and has happened a few times in the past and I think it is unavoidable. As long as it is short lived and don't carry on too long I guess...

chickenbeef

Executive Member
this is now a thread on extension cables ffs ...
You forget that this is the internet

b649fb084ff21af4f356daf855351a0e.jpg

enerdude

Expert Member
You are right, we need a screwdriver set with those extension cables
Its a pity my old broken extension reel did not have screws on the sidepanel else I could try and open it to fix it as I can hear loose things when I shake it :D

enerdude

Expert Member
To try to back to the thread, I got the last power bank with power delivery on takealot for 289. Best I’ve seen for a 20000mah with that spec.
2 weeks ago I bought a Romoss Pulse 20 20000mAh Power Bank (Model: PB20-101-1A45) on onedayonly for R349 - also a good deal.

I love my romoss power banks - they are very good quality and has quality batteries inside that lasts for many charge cycles.

johnjm

Expert Member
2 weeks ago I bought a Romoss Pulse 20 20000mAh Power Bank (Model: PB20-101-1A45) on onedayonly for R349 - also a good deal.

I love my romoss power banks - they are very good quality and has quality batteries inside that lasts for many charge cycles.

Yeah, I’ve got t-power that I bought last year only because I had usb-c, but then because it wasn’t PD it couldn’t charge from the USBc, only input.

I don’t use them that often but it’s handy to have as the only other one I had is at my folks somewhere. For a quick light they work well with a UsB LED strips which draw less power than what people think...

Aravose

Please recommend a good internal SSD drive for a PC, to buy locally up to R2,000.

itareanlnotani

Expert Member
Please recommend a good internal SSD drive for a PC, to buy locally up to R2,000.
Should be able to find a decent 1TB for that price.

https://www.takealot.com/wd-blue-2-5-500gb-sata3-3d-nand-ssd/PLID48453294 seems ok if you don't need the space (R1099 for 512G)

If you want to spend 2k -

R1800 for the 1TB WD Blue (545mb/s read / 525mb /s write )
Bit old now - https://www.storagereview.com/review/wd-blue-ssd-review-1tb

R1900 for the Transcend 220Q (550mb/s read / 500mb /s write / 3 year warranty / qlc nand)

Most of the bleeding edge tech has moved to NVMe so SSD's are pretty much going to be very similar in terms of controllers or type these days - i.e. solid performers, but not amazing, as its older tech.