Hardware Bargains - Open Thine Wallet

B-1

Expert Member
I'm open to suggestions, I cannot find another local store that stocks these.

I've emailed the distributor for a different brand (Hakko) to find out if they sell to the public, will see if they can help me get a better deal.

Communica.co.za and robotics.org.za but the prices will be similar.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master

MidnightZA

Expert Member
This pains me so much!

Amazon:

View attachment 1163172

RS Components:

View attachment 1163174

Goddamn daylight robbery. Also cannot use the NA Weller here as it's only 110V. Anyone know of a place to get these at a better price locally?
What's the point of such an expensive soldering iron?

I bought a cheap Chinese one from banggood. I already used it to fix 2 appliances so I got my monies worth out of it lol. If it breaks I'll throw it in the bin and get another cheap one for less than R400 incl shipping and taxes

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master

I bought a cheap Chinese one from banggood. I already used it to fix 2 appliances so I got my monies worth out of it lol. If it breaks I'll throw it in the bin and get another cheap one for less than R400 incl shipping and taxes

Firstly, 2k is not expensive secondly, Insert "soldering iron" with x.

"Why buy an expensive bicycle?"
"Why buy an expensive TV?"
"Why buy an expensive power tool?"

I have owned many cheap Chinese solidering irons in my life, they were all crap and I don't feel like throwing more of these away into landfills.

deesef

Expert Member
Firstly, 2k is not expensive secondly, Insert "soldering iron" with x.

"Why buy an expensive bicycle?"
"Why buy an expensive TV?"
"Why buy an expensive power tool?"

I have owned many cheap Chinese solidering irons in my life, they were all crap and I don't feel like throwing more of these away into landfills.

I was given an Oryx soldering iron in 1974, for doing a favour for the importer. One of these:

I don't know if the quality is the same as it was on my 45 year-old model...

I used it extensively until about 2000. Since then, I only used it periodically. About 2 years ago, I could no longer unscrew the tip that was in - it had corroded and fused to the shaft. Also, the tip was no longer heating properly. The corrosion has probably built a heat barrier between the heating element and the tip.

Wanting something that has a temperature control and knowing that I really don't solder nearly as often as I used to, I got one of these on special for about R180. It heats up quickly, and it feels okish. It's as light as a feather and very comfortable to use. Will it last 40 years? Probably not...

[R339.69 19% OFF]JCD 908S 80W Soldering Iron Kit Adjustable Temperature 110V 220V LCD Solder Welding Tools Ceramic Heater Soldering Tips Desoldering Pump Tweezer 180~500℃ Professional Tools from Tools on banggood

gbyleveldt

There's a difference between using tools professionally vs. hobbyist use. In my case, I make a living off doing pretty intense micro soldering work. So I need quality tools and easy access to spare parts. It's for this reason I suggested looking at the Magnum range above. They've got a massive use base and they are local. For hobbyist use the rules are different.

Tinuva

The Magician
There's a difference between using tools professionally vs. hobbyist use. In my case, I make a living off doing pretty intense micro soldering work. So I need quality tools and easy access to spare parts. It's for this reason I suggested looking at the Magnum range above. They've got a massive use base and they are local. For hobbyist use the rules are different.
Interesting. What profession do you work in?

The CBI thread makes more sense now...

MidnightZA

Expert Member
I was given an Oryx soldering iron in 1974, for doing a favour for the importer. One of these:

I don't know if the quality is the same as it was on my 45 year-old model...

I used it extensively until about 2000. Since then, I only used it periodically. About 2 years ago, I could no longer unscrew the tip that was in - it had corroded and fused to the shaft. Also, the tip was no longer heating properly. The corrosion has probably built a heat barrier between the heating element and the tip.

Wanting something that has a temperature control and knowing that I really don't solder nearly as often as I used to, I got one of these on special for about R180. It heats up quickly, and it feels okish. It's as light as a feather and very comfortable to use. Will it last 40 years? Probably not...

[R339.69 19% OFF]JCD 908S 80W Soldering Iron Kit Adjustable Temperature 110V 220V LCD Solder Welding Tools Ceramic Heater Soldering Tips Desoldering Pump Tweezer 180~500℃ Professional Tools from Tools on banggood

I'm not going to derail the thread by going into debate

But I wanted to say I got the same soldering set when it was on a 40 or 50% discount lol. I'm enjoying it. It was a bargain at the time. Would reccomend :)