HarmonyOS

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
So Huawei didn't abandon that model in terms of Android updates?

Oh they abandoned them long ago....

But I have a P20 lite as well, and its still functioning just fine. Don't really see the need to upgrade.

zippy

Honorary Master
Yeah... I'm sure they snuck in a few extra lines here and there.

Lithuanian govt has found “censorship” software in Xiaomi phones and have advised their people to stop using any Chinese made mobile as it’s likely other manufacturers with links to the Chinese govt will also include this type of spyware.

ToxicBunny

Lithuanian govt has found “censorship” software in Xiaomi phones and have advised their people to stop using any Chinese made mobile as it’s likely other manufacturers with links to the Chinese govt will also include this type of spyware.

Yeah saw that little gem this morning...

Has made me reconsider whether I'd get a cheap Xiaomi phone in the not too distant future honestly.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Pity they don't support their "old" devices like the P20 lite. A three year old phone that is obsolete.
It got a security update a few months ago...

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Huawei employee reveals Huawei's Harmony OS 3 is coming soon

IT Home News reported that a Huawei employee revealed in a social post that Huawei would be unveiling HarmonyOS 3.0 very soon. According to the report, the Chinese phone maker will be holding the Huawei Developer Conference on October 24. At said conference, Huawei will outline the updates coming to HarmonyOS 3.0.

Huawei has had to rely less so on Google services and re-invented it's smartphones' operating system (though its still heavily based on Android). HarmonyOS 2.0 launched during last year's Huawei Developer Conference in September of 2020 with the OS arriving to devices on September 16.

Snip.png

ToxicBunny

Huawei employee reveals Huawei's Harmony OS 3 is coming soon

IT Home News reported that a Huawei employee revealed in a social post that Huawei would be unveiling HarmonyOS 3.0 very soon. According to the report, the Chinese phone maker will be holding the Huawei Developer Conference on October 24. At said conference, Huawei will outline the updates coming to HarmonyOS 3.0.

Huawei has had to rely less so on Google services and re-invented it's smartphones' operating system (though its still heavily based on Android). HarmonyOS 2.0 launched during last year's Huawei Developer Conference in September of 2020 with the OS arriving to devices on September 16.

View attachment 1157642

Is this Android 11 rebranded by Huawei then?

Chingha

Expert Member
It doesn't really matter what it is based on if it doesn't have Google Services

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
It got a security update a few months ago...

It did.

Meanwhile I just updated a 5 year old iPhone to Apple's latest OS.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Can't compare the two. The cheapest 6S costed R11799 whereas the p20 lite was only R5999 at launch.
As if that's a valid excuse for them to drop support for it that soon after launch.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Huawei reaches 150M HarmonyOS devices, pushes v3.0 Developer Preview

Huawei Developer Conference took place today, and the company CEO Richard Yu revealed interesting details about the company’s consumer business. According to the executive, over 150 million devices are now on HarmonyOS, making it the fastest-growing OS in history.

Yu also revealed HarmonyOS 3 Developer Preview is being released, aiming to improve in three core directions - system architecture, super terminals, and multi-device usage within the same ecosystem.

During the conference, Huawei revealed new flexible deployment automation tools which developers can use for different hardware to complete the OS performance. There is Ark UI 3.0 development framework that will reduce the amount of code for cross-end application of front-end development and design. DevEco Studio 3.0 improves the efficiency of cross-end application development, while the new SDK opens 6000+ TS/JS API capabilities.

https://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_rea...s_pushes_v30_developer_preview-news-51545.php

THE ONLY SUPERFLY

N/B: HarmonyOS 2 is not yet available for global users. In fact, there is no information regarding the global version of HarmonyOS. However, we know that Huawei is still developing the EMUI 12 for global users. From all indications, HarmonyOS is not ready to leave China for now.