Has anyone been to the Headache Clinic at 45 Empire Road?

Eyenstyn

Just to updating my own thread or giving some general feedback for whoever is interested about the headache clinic. I went there 2 weeks ago for a diagnosis. Turns out I have tension headaches - which is what I thought was wrong for quite some time. It cost a pretty penny about R4000 - its a lot I know but if u deal with it everyday u need to take it seriously. In the end they said I needed to buy a mouth piece which would relax my tension by relaxing the muscles around my neck and face as well as going to whole lot of physio treatments. The mouth piece called mpa costs about R4000 but if it works then it's totally worth it.

Will update in 2 months to let u know if it works.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Yes, I also went and spent the 4 Grand.

They also gave me the mouthpiece, but I dropped the first one in the driveway and drove over it.
I had to pay for another one, which I then bit through during the night (it was very thin and poorly made).
I have a better mouthpiece now made for me by my dentist which also helps for snoring prevention.

But to be honest, I never really noticed much difference with the mouthpieces.
I'm just glad I was able to rule everything else OUT.
It's a crapload of money though... and the medical aid did not help with the payments very much.

At the end of the day, the best thing that helps with my headaches is weight loss and regular aerobic exercise.

Eyenstyn

Cool man thanks for the advice :) Did your dentist charge u the same amount for the mouth piece?

I got the Orbitrek to do light workouts hopefully that's just as good as a gym workout :/

Yotch

Expert Member
Take a look at those cheap plastic sport mouthpieces that they sell at Dischem etc. before having something custom made. I had one custom made to prevent teeth grinding but I'm sure that a cheap one would work just as well.

Eyenstyn

Take a look at those cheap plastic sport mouthpieces that they sell at Dischem etc. before having something custom made. I had one custom made to prevent teeth grinding but I'm sure that a cheap one would work just as well.
Cool! Thanks for letting me know :) That would be soo much better than spending R4000 on a custom one :)

d7e7r7

Executive Member
I also went there a while back... Got headaches every single day. Sometimes really bad that I vomited and had to be taken out of school. They also gave me a mouthpiece to wear when I sleep but it didn't really work.

A doctor in George prescribed Amitriptyline 10mg for me and I've been fine since. Get the odd headache but otherwise normal...

Mila

Honorary Master
I also went there a while back... Got headaches every single day. Sometimes really bad that I vomited and had to be taken out of school. They also gave me a mouthpiece to wear when I sleep but it didn't really work.
+1
They gave me a mouth piece, one that fits in the roof of your mouth, my tongue was pressing to high up in my mouth and causing tension.. :roleyes:
They sent me to take out my Wisdom teeth .
A few grand later I had no wisdom teeth a plate that i think I swallowed ( it went poof one night ) and I still suffer from horrible headaches.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Ja, if they prescribe the mouthpiece for you, then I am sure that any old mouthguard which keeps your teeth apart will work.

You could also ask your doctor to put you on a course of Dixarit for a month and see if that helps.

Or even a course of Pur-Bloka. They are both designed to prophylactically treat the Headaches by reducing the blood vein expansion which ultimately causes the headaches.

Go see your doctor or a good Neurologist.

Last edited:

d7e7r7

Executive Member
Ja, if they prescribe the mouthpiece for you, then I am sure that any old mouthguard which keeps your teeth apart will work.

You could also ask your doctor to put you on a course of Dixarit for a month and see if that helps.

Or even a course of Pur-Bloka. They are both designed to prophylactically treat the Headaches by reducing the blood vein expansion which ultimately causes the headaches.

Go see your doctor or a good Neurologist.
Is that similar to the Ten-Bloka I was prescribed for high blood pressure?

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Is that similar to the Ten-Bloka I was prescribed for high blood pressure?
Yes, very similar (but different active ingredients). It is one of those wonder drugs that doctors don't mind if you take continuously, because it has the side-effect of protecting your heart.
But DO NOT take it if you suffer from already low blood pressure.

For headache sufferers it has the side effect or preventing pressure in the head blood vessels that are known to expand and cause headaches.

Most Neurologists will prescribe it in a three month course along with Trepilene (a mild anti-depressant to reduce stress and sleep well), and Nafasol/Naproxen (a mild anti-inflammatory) if you suffer from sore neck / neck spasm.

If you do suffer from sore neck or muscle spasm, remember that you can usually get Naproxen or Voltaren over the counter from your pharmacist. But watch your stomach as they can be pretty heavy on your stomach lining.

d7e7r7

Executive Member
Yes, very similar (but different active ingredients). It is one of those wonder drugs that doctors don't mind if you take continuously, because it has the side-effect of protecting your heart.
But DO NOT take it if you suffer from already low blood pressure.

For headache sufferers it has the side effect or preventing pressure in the head blood vessels that are known to expand and cause headaches.

Most Neurologists will prescribe it in a three month course along with Trepilene (a mild anti-depressant to reduce stress and sleep well), and Nafasol/Naproxen (a mild anti-inflammatory) if you suffer from sore neck / neck spasm.

If you do suffer from sore neck or muscle spasm, remember that you can usually get Naproxen or Voltaren over the counter from your pharmacist. But watch your stomach as they can be pretty heavy on your stomach lining.
Good information...

But the doctor that prescribed the Ten-Bloka is a completely different doctor to the one that prescribed the Trepiline, the Trepiline was for my headaches while the Ten-Bloka was for my high blood pressure...

120/80 is normal right? What is a normal heart rate? I think my heart rate is a bit too low so worried bout that...

Sorry for going OT :(

Celine

Executive Member
i suffer with very bad migraines. in 2001 i was hospitalised for 6 days - had to be in a private ward with the curtains drawn that's how bad i had this one migraine attack. had a scan done just in case there was something suspicious but nothing. was put under neurologist who put me on this medication - topimax - it works wonders. the only side effect that it has is extreme weight loss. but if i don't take this i have such migraines it's not funny.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Good information...

But the doctor that prescribed the Ten-Bloka is a completely different doctor to the one that prescribed the Trepiline, the Trepiline was for my headaches while the Ten-Bloka was for my high blood pressure...

120/80 is normal right? What is a normal heart rate? I think my heart rate is a bit too low so worried bout that...

Sorry for going OT :(
Ja, 60 to 8- beats per minute.

If you want the info, the Neurologist I went to see was Dr. Fleming at the Milpark Hospital.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
i suffer with very bad migraines. in 2001 i was hospitalised for 6 days - had to be in a private ward with the curtains drawn that's how bad i had this one migraine attack. had a scan done just in case there was something suspicious but nothing. was put under neurologist who put me on this medication - topimax - it works wonders. the only side effect that it has is extreme weight loss. but if i don't take this i have such migraines it's not funny.
Thanks, I will ask my Doc about that.

Some more useful tips to remember...

1) By some of that "freeze gel cream" that you can get from Dis-chem and other pharmacies. It is also called "Hot Ice" It has a clear blue gel consistency ...
"Hot Ice muscle and joint gel is a refreshing gel formulated with a combination of specific ingredients with coolant properties that is safe enough to use two to three times a day."
The way this works for migraine sufferers is to rub it on your head and neck. It's similar to Deep Heat, but it has the opposite effect... it cools body parts down.
I find it very useful when I have a particularly bad attack.

2) Same thing with ice packs. When you go into your room to lay down in the dark when you have an attack, use an ice pack. You can buy some pretty nice ice packs also from your pharmacist. I have two types, one that has a gel pack with an elastic, so that it can fit around my head. The other is an actual bandage dipped in the blue ice gel and you keep it in the fridge and wrap it around your head when needed.

3) Buy an aerated pillow. I can't remember the exact brand name now but I got it from the Verimark section at the Game Store. It was about R400. I found that normal pillows caused my head to overheat at night, but this pillow allowed it to remain cool.

4) Avoid smoked foods, especially Pork and smoked hams. You might want to do a little experiment and make a note of each time you eat Pork and when you get a migraine. You might be surprised at the results. I love Pork, but have to be careful when and how I eat it.

d7e7r7

Executive Member