Ey there. I jst had another migraine yesterday. Haven't gotten one this bad since 2004. it started round abt 2pm and is still going strong. Can't eat, can't sleep. On a normal basis I'd get average headaches. Wud u recommend me to go for a complete diagnosis?Just to updating my own thread or giving sme general feedback for whoever is interested about the headache clinic. I went there 2 weeks ago for a diagnosis. Turns out I have tension headaches - which is what I thought was wrong for quite some time. It cost a pretty penny about R4000 - its a lot I know but if u deal with it everyday u need to take it seriously. In the end they said I needed to buy a mouth piece which would relax my tension by relaxing the muscles around my neck and face as well as going to whole lot of physio treatments. The mouth piece called mpa costs about R4000 but if it works then it's totally worth it.
Will update in 2 months to let u know if it works.
Ye,s please... by all means post it here so that we can all get the benefit, thanks!Hi victoria25, I sent you a mail about the Headache Clinic. Let me know if you received it? Alternatively I could post that information here...its been a while since I have posted on the forums :/
Hi Eyenstyn,Hi Victoria
I got your message via the broadband forums:
"Ey there. I jst had another migraine yesterday. Haven't gotten one this bad since 2004. it started round abt 2pm and is still going strong. Can't eat, can't sleep. On a normal basis I'd get average headaches. Wud u recommend me to go for a complete diagnosis?"
I couldn't reply using the forums because you disable receiving messages. I can give you as much information as I can about what the Headache Clinic does and different ways you could approach this problem. It sounds you might have chronic migraines and might need to see a doctor. I have tension headaches, so the information I am about to give you is from that point of view.
I do think its quite expensive (R4000) and there are other ways to solve this. The one thing that going to the Headache Clinic does do, is comfort you because your now taking the problem serious.
The headache clinic does 4 tests:
A person will start asking you questions about:
- When did your headaches occur?
- How frequent are they?
- Do you exercise and lead a healthy lifestyle?
- Also a direct questions like: What triggered the headaches?
This is to diagnose whether the headaches are psychological or whether if you have depression?
- A neurologist will also ask you questions, to try to diagnose where these headaches come from
- He gets his information from the psychologist which you previously visited and adds his own opinion to it
- He does a few physical examinations to test your reflexes
- If he suspects that its a problem with an organ or something in your blood then he will ask for a blood test to be done.
I think this guy is very intelligent but he doesn't always get it right. The main thing this clinic tries to sell is the customised mouth retainer. The Neurologist knows this and there limits the extra tests they do, based on the psychologists diagnosis.
3. Examination of teeth
- An orthodontist does X-Rays of your head to identify if there is any tension in your bone structure.
- This is also used to find if ones teeth are pushing against one another causing tension. For instance if the teeth are growing side-ways towards each other. This is normally found with wisdom teeth.
4. Tension Tests
- I found this test to be particularly useful because they place receptors on your face to identify where the most tension is?
- They found that I had tension of 7 between my forehead and this was above the normal reading of 2. From this they try to find out if this is caused by the environment I am currently in or if this is a normal everyday occurrence? I responded by saying this is my usual self.
- They also found that I had a lot of tension on my back muscle, which is the largest muscle in my body and does not lose tension easily because of its size. This tension might not go away but i can go for massage therapy and try to alleviate it.
From this test I became aware that my mind is constantly alert of everything that is going on around me. You could say hyper-alert.
After all these tests were done. A consultant sits down with you and the psychologist, and summarizes the analysis done. This is when they sell you the mouth retainer idea to reduce the tensions while you sleep. They charge R2500 additional to the R4000 for the retainer which takes 2 weeks to make, the price might have gone up by now. This is why medical aids don't supprot them because they are secretive about their process, when the main product they sell is the mouth retainer.
Apparently one can get a mouth retainer for below R200 at Dischem. I haven't bought one yet but its a lot cheaper than what they are asking for. Headaches are also caused by not eating enough or having an imbalance of something in your body.
In my opinion: I would suggest seeing a dietitian and living a healthy lifestyle by exercising as well. I also believe its also psychological, so try getting more information on something that's been bothering you?
Thanks for feedback. I have had chronic headaches for 10 years now. All started after suffering a head injury during an accident. Over the ten years the headaches have been managable . But lately they have been quiet bad. Stress has been up and sleep a problem so will tend to agree that stress and rest a serious factor which i need to address. Thanksits psychological and its a sensitive topic, rest will help, also reducing.emotional stress, its thought patterns
i had an accident when i was young, stitching done ontop of my head near the back, a bicycle rode over me and i might have been pinned under the front or back wheel, i havent revisited the story or inquired on further info, i was maybe 3 years old, the tension i experienced from 2004 to 2010 and dormant tension after that is primarily my over-worrying as simple as that might sound is a life jourey decision path, i have done EEG readings and its higher than normal, i dont realy care for that only to be at peace and have calmness, i would couple this with a healthy diet, excercise and rest also simple and yet effective, i have started wearing orthopedic soles and will monitor the difference in body circulation, posture alignment, walking, i am still experimenting, weary about not knowing if there is something better i should tryThanks for feedback. I have had chronic headaches for 10 years now. All started after suffering a head injury during an accident. Over the ten years the headaches have been managable . But lately they have been quiet bad. Stress has been up and sleep a problem so will tend to agree that stress and rest a serious factor which i need to address. Thanks