Has anyone reported a car for having no brake lights? Who do I contact?

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
So I saw this newish car today with no brake lights, it had one tiny faded led on the top of the rear window working.

This is dangerous and bs, the owner needs to be fined and taught a lesson.

I would like to contact the authorities and give them the licence number.

There are some that will call me being anal but i just want to make the roads safer.

Thanks.

Park@82

Honorary Master
So I saw this newish car today with no brake lights, it had one tiny faded led on the top of the rear window working.

There are some that will call me being anal but i just want to make the roads safer.

Thanks.
What makes you think he knows about it?

ekske1

Expert Member

Thanks.
mybroadband?

A lot of readers seems to hand over / contact them with problems.

paulino

I had the same situation, my left brake light wasn't working until traffic cops stopped and notify me about the problem.

So even if you notify them, they won't do anything. Just be a good citizen and let them know that lights are not working.

ubercal

Expert Member

Thanks.
You being silly now ... you could have pulled up next to the person and let them know

vorman

Also had a kind person walk up to me at a traffic light and tell me that one of my lights were not working. I had no idea.
I also did not know my family members one light was out until one day we both pulled in the driveway together. We stay at the same place yet I didnt even know.

Point is, aside from regular checking as one should do, more often than not the driver does not know. Albeit newer cars do warn you and even indicate which side is out.

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
I could not have told the driver as we were in motion and he took a sharp left.

Am i the only one checking my lights, oil and water once a week?

Steamy Tom

lol, serious crimes barely get acted on at times and you want authorities to do something about a guy whose brake lights don't work xD

He probably doesn't know and being a newer car he doesn't expect it, i generally try tell people, the other day a guy asked me, sorry officer can i see your badge all sarcastically when i told him :/

Geoff.D

Executive Member
How do you check your brake lights if you are alone ? Guess a long selfie stick will work.
Check the lights at night in your garage or carport. No issues at all when doing it like this. Brake lights are the easiest of all just make sure all other lights are off at the time.

Dan C

Honorary Master
Check the lights at night in your garage or carport. No issues at all when doing it like this. Brake lights are the easiest of all just make sure all other lights are off at the time.
I'm far too lazy to go out to my car at night to test the brake lights.

Daruk

Honorary Master
I'm far too lazy to go out to my car at night to test the brake lights.
Then do it in the day. Improvize - don't you have a cellphone with camera that records video? :laugh:

Methinks there's room for an article on MyBB just to prove a point. Show people how they can use tech in every day life to save lives by checking their brake lights. Watch the clowns come down on MyBB for crap articles. Can't win LOL.

Here's another way:

Luke7777

Executive Member
During daytime it's easy.... brake check the guy driving on your arse ... if he backs off, your brake lights are working :D