Has anyone used a VPN in South Africa?

Bresder

I'm looking for a VPN to use or not sure if I should use one. Does it matter which device I use?

irBosOtter

Expert Member
I'm looking for a VPN to use or not sure if I should use one. Does it matter which device I use?
Well why do you think you should use one?
Main reason to use one is so that you can stream content not available in SA, or in case you download torrents and don't want your ISP to know... apart from that there is no other reason to use one.

Last edited:

MDKza

You could use it for anonymity if you are that way inclined.
There are a bunch of great ones most of them have month to month options as well so just try it out - if you don't like it cancel. Also some have free trials. Like 15 days or so.

I have heard expressvpn is great https://www.expressvpn.com

ItherNiT

Just a heads up Private internet access (PIA) doesn't peer very well with Vox.

But you can have a look at: Nord vpn, expressvpn, winscribe, etc.

If you are trying to get US netflix or other content I would recommend Getflix or smart dns, they both also include a VPN.
All of the above vpns include apps and manual setups

TaraGrey95

Using VPN is always a good idea, especially if you want to secure your network. I used many programs before, but my last choice was VeePN. It's fast and safe and it can be used on any device what is important for you. Try it.

irBosOtter

Expert Member
Using VPN is always a good idea, especially if you want to secure your network. I used many programs before, but my last choice was VeePN. It's fast and safe and it can be used on any device what is important for you. Try it.
Please enlighten us on how this VPN is suddenly going to secure your network? Only a firewall can secure your network, and that would be your router at home or whatever firewall you have.

These VPN's are not site to site VPN's so they are not securing your internet traffic either, it's only your first hop to the VPN server that is going over the tunnel, from there your unsecured traffic will still be unsecured. So please don't think you are suddenly secure when using these VPN services.

Daruk

Honorary Master
windscribe.com
I use them from time to time. $2 per month for one country only (SA). Works for me when I need it.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
windscribe.com
I use them from time to time. $2 per month for one country only (SA). Works for me when I need it.
This. Grabbed a lifetime account when they still sold it and it's the best purchase I ever made.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Please enlighten us on how this VPN is suddenly going to secure your network? Only a firewall can secure your network, and that would be your router at home or whatever firewall you have.

These VPN's are not site to site VPN's so they are not securing your internet traffic either, it's only your first hop to the VPN server that is going over the tunnel, from there your unsecured traffic will still be unsecured. So please don't think you are suddenly secure when using these VPN services.
It does make it harder for your ISP or, in the case of International VPN, harder for your government to spy on you. It can also afford some security from rogue sites tracking your IP or general location. The thing is to understand what you need and get the right product. E.g. if you are worried about your torrent client leaking your IP, VPN can help.

Of course you have to trust the VPN provider with your info without having met them, so if you are transmitting sensitive data, you can't just use a 3rd party VPN to protect it... But then hopefully you're prepared to pay for a better service such as set up your own in the cloud.

irBosOtter

Expert Member
It does make it harder for your ISP or, in the case of International VPN, harder for your government to spy on you. It can also afford some security from rogue sites tracking your IP or general location. The thing is to understand what you need and get the right product. E.g. if you are worried about your torrent client leaking your IP, VPN can help.

Of course you have to trust the VPN provider with your info without having met them, so if you are transmitting sensitive data, you can't just use a 3rd party VPN to protect it... But then hopefully you're prepared to pay for a better service such as set up your own in the cloud.
Jip, my reply was more for the people that think that these VPN's "secure" your traffic, the one oke even said "its secure, it's encrypted end to end"
Mmm no, only to the VPN server, the first hop, rest is not going through any secure tunnel after that lol.

That guy knew nothing, his post is still here somewhere on one of these VPN threads

ReeceDBN031

Expert Member
Soo how does one even go about setting up a VPN..?

Also where would i set it up..? i have telkom LTE via B525

Daruk

Honorary Master

There are different ways to set it up depending on your needs. I assume you don't want it for accessing your own systems remotely / securely, but rather to stream from overseas or torrent without concern of your ISP ratting on you.
You can install a software client locally on your PC or mobile and manually run the client to connect to the VPN & send all WAN traffic from your PC over the VPN. That's great if you only need one or two machines to connect, and not your entire network.
You might also be able to configure your router to connect to the VPN and have all traffic routed over the VPN - harder to set up and will require compatible router firmware (DD-WRT works with many providers). Enabling and disabling the VPN will affect the whole network and as long as you'd on the network, you won't need client software on all your devices.
The answer really just depends on the VPN provider and what they support and what you need.

NeonNinja

Neon Resident

Create an account and download it on your PC/Mobile. Then pay monthly. Most of them give you trials/specials.

ReeceDBN031

Expert Member
@NeonNinja @Daruk WOW, yeaaa... i wont be able to do all that hay. Im not so tech inclined.. Probably woul dlearn after a while but dont wanna mess with things

I have heard it does yield better speeds and latency though, Am i correct?

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
@NeonNinja @Daruk WOW, yeaaa... i wont be able to do all that hay. Im not so tech inclined.. Probably woul dlearn after a while but dont wanna mess with things

It does circumvent the speed limitations imposed on streaming and torrents. But many a times it doesn't improve your latency.

Daruk

Honorary Master

It does yield better speed when your ISP is routing badly or throttling certain traffic. I can help if you want to try. Windscribe offers a free trial, just ask their chatbot for "free trial please"

And you're doing OK if you know what latency is :thumbsup: :laugh:

ReeceDBN031

Expert Member
It does yield better speed when your ISP is routing badly or throttling certain traffic. I can help if you want to try. Windscribe offers a free trial, just ask their chatbot for "free trial please"

And you're doing OK if you know what latency is :thumbsup: :laugh:
Lol i appreciate that, im going on leave 3 April. Maybe then we can give it a bash ?