has Humanity ever been closer together?

eg2505

Honorary Master
So I was having this argument with a friend of mine,

do you think Humanity is closer today to acting as one then ever before?

think about it, early in humanities history there were tribes and villages and eventually nations, and at each step along the road,
more people banded together, to create something bigger, yes 100% agree disputes became bigger, and involved more people,

but gradually over time, humanity started to act together as one, and now with something common, like the internet,

do you think we finally might be able to put aside our primitive instincts, and become one "organism" and start to act together as one?

yes sure, we still argue about territory and resources, but gradually very gradually, were putting aside this to become something bigger.
maybe in a few decades we will put all of this aside and work together all 9 billion of us.

TLDR: are we becoming more like starfleet today on earth than in any other point in history?

R4ziel

Expert Member
Go to Spar on a Saturday after payday and see how people treat eachother in the shop and the queues, we might be communicating, but we still have our primal instincts to protect our own way of life

Polymathic

Honorary Master

think about it, early in humanities history there were tribes and villages and eventually nations, and at each step along the road,
more people banded together, to create something bigger, yes 100% agree disputes became bigger, and involved more people,

but gradually over time, humanity started to act together as one, and now with something common, like the internet,

do you think we finally might be able to put aside our primitive instincts, and become one "organism" and start to act together as one?

yes sure, we still argue about territory and resources, but gradually very gradually, were putting aside this to become something bigger.
maybe in a few decades we will put all of this aside and work together all 9 billion of us.

TLDR: are we becoming more like starfleet today on earth than in any other point in history?
Well human beings have never been more connected like they are now, but since the last major recession people have being pulling back slightly. Conservatives are to blame for this, they blame the interconnected global trend as the cause of the last recession whilst the liberals blame capitalism for the last recession.

FYI they are bout wrong what caused the last recession was a corrupt political system which favoured multinational companies. While the left and right fight amongst themselves it's business as usual for them

Marcell1992

Nope. Dare I say we're more barbaric than ever before? Maybe in some parts of the world, everyone is more united, but in most countries, we're definitely not.

I believe during Julius Caesars' rule and Genghis Khan's rule the world was more united than it is today. They united tribes and cities in ways few rulers have ever done. If you weren't their allies, you would unite to be their enemies.

Ninja'd

A Djinn

You talk Starfleet but your intentions has me thinking Borg.

Bobbin

Executive Member
If I were to guess, it is the resources the OP alluded to and more specifically the increasing abundance of said resources that is largely attributed/correlated with peace in certain parts of the world. The next matter of conflict is resource disparity.

The former is promoted by capitalism, as in the empowerment of individual rights/capacity to earn and own wealth freely only under contestation by other free individuals alike. The latter is softened by homogeneity where disparity isn't easily attributed to an opposing or "oppressive" collective.

Thus any country with a high degree of capitalism/free market and homogeneity tends to be the most peaceful. At least in my limited view/understanding.

Last edited:

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
I would say although we have never been physically closer together, as a whole we have never been further apart.

Cius

Executive Member
Compared to any part of history before 1919 or perhaps even 1945 yes, we are closer. It has been statistically shown that at this point in time the average person on earth is far less likely to be directly impacted by a local conflict than at any time before. Most wars are highly localised these days.

However, that being said, I can see the pendulum is swinging back a bit from unity towards isolationism again especially in the past 5 years or so.

Just look at Trump, Brexit, India/Pakistan, Mynamaar, etc to see how things are retracting a bit towards the default setting of us vs them.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
I would say although we have never been physically closer together, as a whole we have never been further apart.
Try pretty much the entire history of human kind apart from the time the entire species was on the brink of extinction and was down to a single community of 2000 individuals.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Try pretty much the entire history of human kind apart from the time the entire species was on the brink of extinction and was down to a single community of 2000 individuals.
Yeah. True. The closeness (real physical due to overpopulation and pseudo due to interwebs) is sure exacerbating the problem though. Not to mention the wankers telling us it's not ok to think differently and to all be the same.

Bobbin

Executive Member
I attribute this phenomenon to the over-sized towns and cities we all live in. Here we are just a number with 99.999% of the people we come into contact with only once. This surely destroys any sense of connectedness, interpersonal consequence and relationship building.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Just look at Trump, Brexit, India/Pakistan, Mynamaar, etc to see how things are retracting a bit towards the default setting of us vs them.
Because that's natural human nature. Forcing us to be all accepting and all dick sucking all the time is never going to work out.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
I attribute this phenomenon to the over-sized towns and cities we all live in. Here we are just a number with 99.999% of the people we come into contact with only once. This destroys any sense of connectedness, consequence and relationship building.
I think the problem is being forced to accept people and cultures that clash with your own. Instead of being allowed to express your own identity anymore.

Cius

Executive Member
Because that's natural human nature. Forcing us to be all accepting and all dick sucking all the time is never going to work out.
And yet that is the way the world is moving. Even ancient squabbles and enemies are making nice. Heck, Julius Caesar was writing in his diary 2000 years back about how he met these Gauls (French) and Germans who loved killing each other and that was the status quo for a long long time, until now. We live in a world where it is almost unimaginable that France and Germany could declare war on each other when for thousands of years it was almost their default relationship. So people can change for the better. Sometimes it takes a really terrible war that almost destroys them (like WW1/WW2) to make people change their minds but they get there.

Imagine a world where Palestine and Israel are if not exactly fast friends, can at least get along and work together on must stuff the way France and Germany are managing too?

So yes, there is always potential for the Trumps, Malema's etc of the world to break things and set things back but there is also the option to move forwards. I prefer to live as an optimist. Makes me a happier and more chilled guy. Perhaps give it a try :D

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
So yes, there is always potential for the Trumps, Malema's etc of the world to break things and set things back but there is also the option to move forwards. I prefer to live as an optimist. Makes me a happier and more chilled guy. Perhaps give it a try :D
Pithiness of your comment aside, I see the election of Trump and other conservatives across the world as a reaction to the liberals forcing us to "make nice" with each other as you put it. To me it's not some sort of knee-jerk or less enlightened reaction, but a real response by people who want true freedom.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master

Remember that at some point in time humanity was just a tribe of 22 individuals.

I doubt we will ever be as "together" as we were then.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Nope. Dare I say we're more barbaric than ever before? Maybe in some parts of the world, everyone is more united, but in most countries, we're definitely not.

I believe during Julius Caesars' rule and Genghis Khan's rule the world was more united than it is today. They united tribes and cities in ways few rulers have ever done. If you weren't their allies, you would unite to be their enemies.
Many just relented to avoid annihilation by the superior forces.

Beyond.Celsus

Expert Member

Genghis Khan or Rome united nobody.
They conquered and took control. Those who allied with them like Egypt did so out of fear, not to be friends.

Julius Caesar? He was murdered on the steps of the senate by one of his most trusted senators, who conspired for years to murder him. How is that unity?

Mankind has never been united. Allies are only made when something can be gained. Once the usefulness has expired, so does the unity.

DMNknight

Expert Member

We are in terms of communication. Never before have idea's had such power before nor have they ever been as widespread.
However in terms of Tribal thinking, nation vs nation, religion vs religion, we have a very very long way to go.

I would go so far as to say that identity politics is a symptom of exactly that. People have found power in forcing other people to comply to their ideas through group/peer pressure.
People who had no voice, now have a social media presence and as long as they can play enough of an underdog, will probably get some kind of audience.
The quicker this is dismantled the better.

The only way this can be done is through education. Making sure that people are educated on what logical fallacies, cognitive bias and argumentative errors are and how to avoid them and spot them.

In time, should mental discipline become more commonplace, the communications era will unite humanity a lot more than anything else ever has.

Marcell1992

Genghis Khan or Rome united nobody.
They conquered and took control. Those who allied with them like Egypt did so out of fear, not to be friends.

Julius Caesar? He was murdered on the steps of the senate by one of his most trusted senators, who conspired for years to murder him. How is that unity?

Mankind has never been united. Allies are only made when something can be gained. Once the usefulness has expired, so does the unity.
That is your interpretation of what happened. Just read up on Genghis Khan. The tribes were at war with one another, he united most of the tribes under one banner.

Forming an alliance is unity. You scratch my back, I scratch yours, we don't bomb each other. If North Korea nukes South Korea, do you think USA will sit back and do nothing, because South Korea has been wiped off the map and there is no longer anything to gain from them?

Also, Caesar was assassinated by his own senators, but also go read up on why. They didn't agree with his (much better and respected) ideologies against theirs. Why do you think Rome collapsed shortly after Caesar's assassination?

There will always be people opposing you no matter who you are. Caesar and Genghis managed to have less than most people. Example and a really bad one, There was 2 unities during Caesar's era, Caesar and anti Caesar. Today there is 100, USA, Anti USA, China, Russia, Brittain, Non-Brittain...you get the idea.