Has Netflix’s campaign to block VPN resulted in slower subscriber growth?

Kevin Lancaster

MyBroadband Editor
Has Netflix’s campaign to block VPN resulted in slower subscriber growth?

There have been a number of suggestions to explain the slowdown in Netflix’s subscriber growth that resulted in its share price falling by 14.5%.

Netflix’s own theory is that users were put off by a price rise as Netflix phased out legacy price deals for early subscribers. Certainly the press covered the impending rise extensively and so this may have caused people to cancel subscriptions.

Thor

Honorary Master
Good

Now we just need to get the kat guy free'ed

Thor

Honorary Master
I must say I don't think Netflix made the decision to block VPNs

I think the content owners threatened to sue Netflix for displaying content in unregistered geographic markets.

Dolby

Honorary Master
I must say I don't think Netflix made the decision to block VPNs

I think the content owners threatened to sue Netflix for displaying content in unregistered geographic markets.
True ...

But I think together Netflix and content providers could done more actually. This blocking means no one scores

Thor

Honorary Master
True ...

But I think together Netflix and content providers could done more actually. This blocking means no one scores
Not sure about the rest of the world but I am pretty convinced Naspers had a finger in the works regarding this.

(from a Netflix/Africa point of view)

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Not sure about the rest of the world but I am pretty convinced Naspers had a finger in the works regarding this.

(from a Netflix/Africa point of view)
Lol....this guy

You give MC too much credit...

Necropolis

Executive Member
True ...

Remember it's not just the content providers but those companies (like MultiChoice) that have already paid big bucks to have exclusive licensing rights in a specific region.

nevadayz

Expert Member
doesn't it just seem that they just dont care?

most of their users are in the states or areas where they might really need to have geo-unblocking, so i guess Netflix rather bite the bullet, lose a couple million "pirate" connection but still appease the regional laws. idiots.:mad:

Necropolis

Executive Member
doesn't it just seem that they just dont care?

most of their users are in the states or areas where they might really need to have geo-unblocking, so i guess Netflix rather bite the bullet, lose a couple million "pirate" connection but still appease the regional laws. idiots.:mad:
Well in their defense it is that or get taken to court and sued for millions, if not billions, of dollars and have content licensors that refuse to sell them the rights to anything...