Hate and Attacks towards Mybroadband News and Journalists

RedViking

Nord of the South
Personal Opinion

Lately there has been a lot of hate and 'attacks' towards specifically Mybroadband News division and the Journalists and this comes from forum members who have been here for a long time and the newbies who quack after them like ducks.

There are ways to discuss articles and issues at hand without having to personally attack a journalist and mybroadband.

And if you really feel like breaking down a journalist, why don't you have the guts to PM them personally? What are you achieving by publicly attacking them.

I have been a forumite since 2012 and the blog side or news side has been the same for the last decade at least. Nothing has changed. Staff Writer is still Staff Writer. Deals are still Massive. It was massive then, it is massive now. Nothing has suddenly changed. Surely you should be grownup enough by now to be able to stop reading something you never liked. At least for the last decade.

In my view these attacks on the journalists and mybroadband is tiring and make actual discussions about the topic useless as comments get lost between a bunch of moaning adults. And when something that is actually an issue is being discussed and you come with the attacks it is not helping.

How can we expect journalists, writers and RPM to respect our opinions if we don't respect them.

Don't hear what I am not saying. I don't say articles, forums issues, headings etc. should not be discussed. I am just saying that this can be done without the attacks and hate towards Mybroadband and the staff, specially if you have been here and carry the 'Honorary Master' title.

Lets rather work together to keep the forum a family and not attack those who made and still make it possible.

(I am not innocent, so also speaking to myself)

Last edited:

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
You sir, deserve an Amazon Echo!!!

On the flip side, if no one is going to call people out on their BS then they will remain BS. How can you progress, grow and become respected without honest feedback? It's like that other journalist dude that came here crying because one of his colleagues belittled him and the rest of MyBB was telling him to grow a pair. The irony.

How are performance reviews done at MyBB? "Oh... uhm, you wrote so many articles this year (regardless of how kark it was), take this 4.5/5 rating." The forum should be ever growing in quality to attract numbers.

Anyway, the journalism doesn't really bother me, I am more interested in finding solutions in the the replies of a thread.

Grouter

Expert Member
Thank you RedViking for putting into words what I've been thinking for quite a while now. The kids will sure moan when the articles stop, then the ads stop, then the forum stops....

DMNknight

Expert Member
Yeah, back in the day if you spoke kak about Gaspode on Mirc you got K-Lined minimum 30 days :)
Same should apply here, nothing wrong with good manners
Gaspode deserved the respect he got, not because of the K-lines, but because of the vast amount of competence he showed in handling the IRC servers in those days. ZANET became legend because of competent admins, not the authority they ruled with.

One could hold up that mirror to the MyBB reporter staff... :unsure:

Chuckmyster

Honorary Master
Gaspode deserved the respect he got, not because of the K-lines, but because of the vast amount of competence he showed in handling the IRC servers in those days. ZANET became legend because of competent admins, not the authority they ruled with.

One could hold up that mirror to the MyBB reporter staff... :unsure:
I'm just saying manners go a long way :)

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
Dear OP, I chose the low road, to put the news peddlers on ignore. So I don't care anymore. There was a time I did care, but let me tell you, off forum, when it comes to technical competence in reporting, we all laugh at this site. At least every other week we refer to this site as the "swak IT news palace" and laugh at the poor news articles about stuff we work with. One of the article types that really gets the office going and in stitches is the "Careerjunction IT salary/job prospects/" news pieces and also the ones about the IT salaries. Always good for much laughter.
I came here because of the cool people here and I say it again- there's a bunch of smart people on this forum and I enjoy their often off-topic conversations and posts.

Nick333

Honorary Master
Thank you RedViking for putting into words what I've been thinking for quite a while now. The kids will sure moan when the articles stop, then the ads stop, then the forum stops....
Lol. You think the mybb staff are going to rage quit? Like they're not salaried employees? Like there aren't a ton of unemployed journo wannabes ready to replace them?

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
I agree with your goal OP and credit should be given to the Forum staff, admins and journos.

My gripe, and one I voice, is merely that a lot of the "articles" are press releases put out, with no original content, opinion offered or actual research done. It's infuriatingly poor "journalism" when you have more questions than answers after an informational piece, and key info is lacking.

At this point you're not a journalist, you're a parrot. Honestly, if your job is a chef and you serve up a Big Mac, technically the customer has received the hamburger he ordered, and technically he's liable to throw it in your face. It's not cooking.

Sam should apply to journalism if that is your chosen profession. Put an effort in, take some time, ask some questions, answer some questions.

"Attacks" and "hate" (sic) - not sure about those really. Kevin Lancaster made a name for himself with his behaviour and lackadaisical approach and thus he no longer posts content. That's deserved.

On the whole I like the forum, but when you post an article praising A and criticising B, which ad also happens to be paid for by A - what is this? National Enquirer?

saor

Honorary Master
Sam should apply to journalism if that is your chosen profession. Put an effort in, take some time, ask some questions, answer some questions.
Probably easier said than done when you're employed and have constraints.

Lord Farquart

Expert Member
Maybe it is justifiable? If they were to comment on, and actually fixing thing, it would not happen. I blame Kenvin Lancaster as editor for this. As an editor, he should not allow half the crap to be posted as news articles. A lot of stuff is paid advertorials, not news. It should be listed as such and have its own section.

Then there is misleading news articles that never get fixed. M&B one right now a good example.

Biggest issue here that people highlight is that people with jounalism qualifications are selling their souls for clicks. They are like whores in a sense.

Unfortunately there is no will or incentive for Kevin or TPTB to fix anything, as it will cost clicks. That they can not afford.

As MyBB have made changes to their comment section to prevent this, let the flaming in the forum section continue. Personally I feel it is deseved.

Reactions: Fro