Haval/GWM Cars

SirFooK'nG

Executive Member
I went to visit a friend who works at a Haval/GWM dealership this past weekend. I took the P-Series and the H6 out for a spin.
I am not really a bakkie guy so all I can say is that it was comfortable and easy to drive.
But that H6 won me over. It was the top of the range and it was a dream to drive. Very comfortable, very nippy, all round I was impressed.
Yip, must say it makes my H6C feel a little agricultural now!

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Yip, must say it makes my H6C feel a little agricultural now!
What I admire with Haval is that a new model is an upgrade, unlike other manufacturers who strip the new model of features and raise the price.

More and better features, more power and an increased price, that's how it should work.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
GWM P Series 6×6 bakkie on the cards as extreme off-road offering

An internal product presentation detailing a desire to build a GWM P Series 6×6 bakkie has been uncovered. The Chinese manufacturer has been enjoying success with its new utilitarian product which it hopes to expand on with this new extreme example.

As uncovered by Pikache, senior leaders of the company directed its technical experts to theorise the possibility of expanding the bakkie’s chassis. Codenamed P71-6×6, the GWM P Series 6×6 will be an attempt to further exert the off-roading capabilities of the chassis.

The GWM P Series 6×6 will retain its rear multilink solid axle structure which the brand sees as an easily adaptable structure. At the front, a new double-wishbone application will be applied. The memo goes on to say that a full production model will be ready by June 2022 and sell in limited numbers.

Considering the extra strain these additional parts will have on the chassis, the GWM P Series 6×6 may employ the group’s turbocharged 3,0-litre unit with a nine-speed automatic transmission.

Snip.png

FiestaST

Honorary Master
GWM’s Raptor rival is real

Looks the business, to take on Toyota and Ford.

The current generation of Chinese bakkies are no joke, as GWM has proved.

But can a Chinese bakkie become a true Hilux GR Sport or Ranger Raptor rival? To answer this question, there is the new GWM Black Bullet and according to Carexpert AU, it’s the real deal.

Using the current P-Series as a platform, this is a Chinese double-cab 4×4 unlike any other. Designed for exploration and following – or leading – any convoy across technical terrain, the GWM Black Bullet has been developed by Yunliang.

Operating as an independent 4×4 accessories business in China, Yunliang has spent two years perfecting its GWM Black Bullet project – and it looks deeply impressive.

Yunliang’s ‘Mark Road’ accessories are present on this most capable of Chinese 4×4 bakkies and denoted by their ‘MR’ badging.

The most notable aspect of this bakkie, aside from its stance, is the improved approach angle front bumper and bullbar – the latter being an MR component. This bullbar houses a 5.5-tonne recovery capacity Warn winch and LEDs.

Around the rear, there is a step-up bar and along the flanks, tucked running boards ease cabin access. The Black Bullet also features that obligatory clean/cold air circulating snorkel.

GWM 1.jpeg GWM 2.jpeg GWM 3.jpeg GWM 4.jpeg

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Top buys: 3 underrated SUVs to consider

In this feature, we take a closer look at three underrated SUV products: Mitsubishi Pajero Sport, Haval Jolion and Suzuki Vitara Brezza:

Haval Jolion

Haval has been making a noticeable impact on local sales charts of late and leading this charge is the new Jolion, which was introduced earlier this year as a replacement for the H2.

The Haval Jolion range is priced between R299 900 and R398 900 and while that puts it into contention with the likes of the Ford EcoSport and Hyundai Venue, in size terms it's pretty close to far more expensive vehicles like the Kia Sportage and Opel Grandland. You are getting a lot of car for your money and it’s a decent looking chunk of metal too.

The Haval Jolion is built around the company’s new L.E.M.O.N modular architecture that it shares with the new Haval H6 and its modern underpinnings become apparent the second you hit the open road. At highway speeds the Jolion is very quiet, barring for a bit of wind noise, and we were impressed with its overall noise insulation. The ride quality is comfortable too, perhaps more so than most rivals.

Beneath the bonnet of all models you’ll find a 1.5-litre turbopetrol engine that’s carried over from the previous H2, and which produces 105kW and 210Nm. The performance it delivers is adequate for a modern urban-based SUV. The 1.5-litre engine is not necessarily the most refined unit around, and can sound a little gruff under acceleration, but given this vehicle’s keen pricing it’s a perfectly adequate package. As for fuel consumption, our test unit consumed 7.7 litres per 100km in a mixture of freeway and urban driving.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Bakkie Buyer's Guide! Hilux vs Ranger vs New Navara vs Amarok V6 vs Mazda BT-50 vs GWM P-Series - Cars.co.za

FiestaST

Honorary Master
New car market is growing: these were SA’s top-selling brands in September 2021

September 2021 was another positive month for the South African new vehicle market, with overall unit sales growing by 15.8 percent versus the same month last year, to total 43 130 according to The Automotive Business Council formerly known as Naamsa.

But while passenger car sales surged by 30.5% year-on-year on the back of a resurging car rental industry, bakkie sales took a battering last month, falling by 10.9 percent year-on-year.

According to Naamsa, 82.7% of new vehicle sales in September took place through the dealer channels, while the rental industry accounted for 12.4%, government 2.5% and corporate fleets 2.4%.

“New vehicle demand is starting to pick up with consumers, businesses and rental companies returning to the market,” Naamsa said. “However, many Covid-19 disruptive elements remain in play and prevailing market conditions have been hampered by higher logistics costs and supply chain disruptions, such as the global semi-conductor shortages impacting on the availability of certain models.

“However, it is encouraging that new vehicle demand seems to outstrip supply at present and the outlook for the balance of the year looks positive,” the association added.

These were the 10 top-selling brands in September 2021:

1. Toyota - 10 936
2. Volkswagen - 7029
3. Suzuki Auto - 3134
4. Hyundai - 2930
5. Renault - 2520
6. Nissan - 2330
7. Kia - 2230
8. Ford - 2021
9. Haval - 1990
10. Isuzu - 1924

https://www.iol.co.za/motoring/indu...ber-2021-df34d763-baa9-4d85-8dde-d9f60e9f7c10

FiestaST

Honorary Master
GWM to take over operations at Nissan production plant in Spain

GWM has stepped to take over operations at one of Nissan’s Spanish plants which is due to cease operations by the end of this year. National and regional authorities, together with Nissan, also identified Spanish electric motorcycle manufacturer Silence and local engineering firm QEV Technologies to negotiate the plan of the two smaller plants.

As reported by Automotive News Europe, an unnamed source indicated that GWM is interested in the Barcelona plant and will study whether it might have use for the other two, while Silence and QEV Technologies are only interested in the smaller factories.

“We are convinced we will be able to find solutions that are beneficial to everyone,” Nissan’s industrial head in Spain, Frank Torres, said in a statement.

The decision to shut down these plants came from Nissan as part of a drastic global restructuring plan. It initially said the plants would close by December 2020 but later pushed the date back a year, as it started looking for an alternative industrial project with authorities.

Arthur

Honorary Master
A relative has asked me to advise whether the Jolion is worth considering. I must confess I know absolutely nothing about the brand or the model. I've just taken a squizz at a few reviews and must confess it's pretty impressive for the price. The relative needs an automatic, so looking at the Premium model. The top-end is beyond their budget. This Ozzie review is reasonably comprehensive from an ordinary user perspective. Mmmm. Seems I've got to rethink my notions of Chinese cars.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
A relative has asked me to advise whether the Jolion is worth considering. I must confess I know absolutely nothing about the brand or the model. I've just taken a squizz at a few reviews and must confess it's pretty impressive for the price. The relative needs an automatic, so looking at the Premium model. The top-end is beyond their budget. This Ozzie review is reasonably comprehensive from an ordinary user perspective. Mmmm. Seems I've got to rethink my notions of Chinese cars.
It's easy with Chinese cars, because people will cause a scene for the most useless reason just because it's a Chinese car, something they would easily gloss over on their Japanese or German car, so if you don't find too many horror stories you are good to go.

Haval has been selling plenty cars, they have been in the top 10 since last year i think, in some months they have sold more cars that established manufacturers like Nissan, Ford and Renault.

But it's a fairly new car so there won't be many reviews, you friend will need to take a giant leap of faith or stay safe with the overpriced but mediocre stock from the mainstream manufacturers.

The_MAC

Executive Member
Is GWM making their own engines? Heard they are using Toyota ones in some models, or is that just a lie?

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
It's easy with Chinese cars, because people will cause a scene for the most useless reason just because it's a Chinese car, something they would easily gloss over on their Japanese or German car, so if you don't find too many horror stories you are good to go.

Haval has been selling plenty cars, they have been in the top 10 since last year i think, in some months they have sold more cars that established manufacturers like Nissan, Ford and Renault.

But it's a fairly new car so there won't be many reviews, you friend will need to take a giant leap of faith or stay safe with the overpriced but mediocre stock from the mainstream manufacturers.
I agree with this.

We're still enjoying both of our Havals, which are now a year old: one H6C (essentially the old H6) and one H6 (essentially the old Jolion).

No complaints so far. Reliable. Luxury fittings. Looks great. Ok one complaint would be fuel economy which has been poor. Lots of town driving, but still very poor (especially the H6 which has a 1.5 turbo petrol engine).

If you're in the market for a new car, you'd be mistaken not to check out Haval.

Hopefully, my next car will be the GWM P Series. Looks like an awful lot of luxury bakkie for the money...