Haval/GWM Cars

judalion55

Is GWM making their own engines? Heard they are using Toyota ones in some models, or is that just a lie?
There has been speculation about this yes, but in older models only, not the new models. This would have been for the non-turbo 1.3 and 1.5 engines (which actually comes from Daihatsu, which Toyota started using after buying Daihatsu). Especially true for the smaller models before the H models rolled out.

The question about the 2 litre diesel engine gets a bit blurry - the first Steed models had a Toyota derived (but GWM modified) engine. Yet the P-Series has an in-house GWM engine that was evolved and improved from the previous Steed (I presume Steed 6) engine. Does that mean it's heritage comes from that Toyota engine? Beats me, I have been searching but not getting any answers.

judalion55

Any idea where we can get seat covers for the Jolion?
Many questions have been asked about this on GWM Facebook groups.

Right now there isn't "approved" options available purely for the fact that the seats covered can severely obstruct the airbags located in the seats. I guess that is the downside of all these safety mechanisms.

The_MAC

Executive Member
There has been speculation about this yes, but in older models only, not the new models. This would have been for the non-turbo 1.3 and 1.5 engines (which actually comes from Daihatsu, which Toyota started using after buying Daihatsu). Especially true for the smaller models before the H models rolled out.

The question about the 2 litre diesel engine gets a bit blurry - the first Steed models had a Toyota derived (but GWM modified) engine. Yet the P-Series has an in-house GWM engine that was evolved and improved from the previous Steed (I presume Steed 6) engine. Does that mean it's heritage comes from that Toyota engine? Beats me, I have been searching but not getting any answers.
So how does the poor fuel consumption fit into the picture, is it present only in non-Toyota derived engines, or is it their entire drive system that compromises the fuel efficiency?

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
So how does the poor fuel consumption fit into the picture, is it present only in non-Toyota derived engines, or is it their entire drive system that compromises the fuel efficiency?
The poor feul performance is just a tuning problem, most then gets normal feul consumption after a tune. Though not sure why they don't fix it at the factory.

The_MAC

Executive Member
The poor feul performance is just a tuning problem, most then gets normal feul consumption after a tune. Though not sure why they don't fix it at the factory.
Yeah, that doesn't make any sense. Fuel consumption is a key metric and selling point.

judalion55

Don't have an answer here, bud. The P-Series 2.0TD engine has similar consumption to other bakkies but the GWM / Haval petrol engines I have no idea.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
179kW and 530Nm, all to the front wheels on such a car, looks like it would be very nice power figure on paper and nowhere else, I would be very impressed if they made it work.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Ryan O'Connor & Liezel van der Westhuizen take a spin in the GMW P-Series - CAR Magazine

FiestaST

Honorary Master
ROAD TEST: Haval Jolion 1,5T Super Luxury dual-clutch automatic

Test summary

We’ve been pleasantly surprised by Haval’s recent offerings; the Jolion is evidence the company is genuinely adding a healthy degree of substance to its stylish products. Yes, some of the technological interfaces are fiddly and counterintuitive but the broad strokes of what makes a good vehicle are well executed and there’s no denying the fantastic value proposition it represents. As with many newcomers to the market, time will tell regarding mechanical and build integrity but from our initial impressions, it seems as though Haval might have a money spinner on its hands.

Fast Facts

Price:
R398 900
0-100 km/h: 10,37 seconds
Top speed: 185 km/h
Power: 105 kW
Torque: 210 N.m
CAR fuel index: 9,00 L/100 km
CO2: 186 g/km

Jolion 1.jpeg Jolion 2.jpeg Jolion 3.jpeg Jolion 4.jpeg Jolion 5.jpeg Jolion 6.jpeg Jolion 7.jpeg Jolion 8.jpeg

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
ROAD TEST: Haval Jolion 1,5T Super Luxury dual-clutch automatic

Test summary

We’ve been pleasantly surprised by Haval’s recent offerings; the Jolion is evidence the company is genuinely adding a healthy degree of substance to its stylish products. Yes, some of the technological interfaces are fiddly and counterintuitive but the broad strokes of what makes a good vehicle are well executed and there’s no denying the fantastic value proposition it represents. As with many newcomers to the market, time will tell regarding mechanical and build integrity but from our initial impressions, it seems as though Haval might have a money spinner on its hands.

Fast Facts

Price:
R398 900
0-100 km/h: 10,37 seconds
Top speed: 185 km/h
Power: 105 kW
Torque: 210 N.m
CAR fuel index: 9,00 L/100 km
CO2: 186 g/km

View attachment 1171136 View attachment 1171138 View attachment 1171140 View attachment 1171142 View attachment 1171144 View attachment 1171146 View attachment 1171148 View attachment 1171150
The reviews are suggesting that boot is large but it looks tiny to me. Hatchback-size even...

TheChamp

Honorary Master
The reviews are suggesting that boot is large but it looks tiny to me. Hatchback-size even...
Yeah, there's definitely nothing large about that boot, it's almost like the journalists have been given a mandate to like Haval and now they are not even being objective when they need to, I am sure back in the day when it was fashionable to hate on Chinese cars they would have realised the boot is tiny.

But full sized spare wheel is always good, I think that's what ate into the boot space.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Wonder how this first love will do on gravel roads.
The H2 or Jolion? It will do fine, just like any other FWD SUV. Just worth noting that Haval has slyly stripped some features off the new Jolion that were standard in the H2, very disappointing.

IguBu

Went for a test drive in the new H6, watched lots of detailed YT of the features- seems incredible on paper BUT…They have an long way to go wrt dealerships, how to treat customers professionally etc.

The overall feeling was one of those shady 2nd car dealerships, complete with stained shirt “boepens” as the DP and all. Kept talking trash towards other brands, and kept trying to force us to drive the P series- although we had no interest (and know it well).
The customer experience is very important, it’s what you have to deal with in case things go wrong- and it fell very short there. It’s not worth spending 500K on any product, regardless of how good it seems on paper, or in reviews, if the service doesn’t back it up. Some
dealerships might be better- but not in the Helderberg area.

For those with kids considering it- one thing to know which no reviews show: The back seats are very low with a very high door frame- kids under 14y /1.5m can barely see out the window, and the rear windows do not wind down completely- sticks out roughly 15cm because of the wheel arch. This for us was a big no no. Other than that the car itself is nice to drive, perhaps too much touch screen only options (drove the top spec)

I’m not a fan of any brand specifically when it comes to practicality,
but for a R100k less the (smaller) new toyota cross top spec 1.8/ hybrid is perhaps much better, safer option, and the blend of screen/buttons a lot better. You also know you’ll have good resale 5 years from now.