Haval/GWM Cars

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Went for a test drive in the new H6, watched lots of detailed YT of the features- seems incredible on paper BUT…They have an long way to go wrt dealerships, how to treat customers professionally etc.

The overall feeling was one of those shady 2nd car dealerships, complete with stained shirt “boepens” as the DP and all. Kept talking trash towards other brands, and kept trying to force us to drive the P series- although we had no interest (and know it well).
The customer experience is very important, it’s what you have to deal with in case things go wrong- and it fell very short there. It’s not worth spending 500K on any product, regardless of how good it seems on paper, or in reviews, if the service doesn’t back it up. Some
dealerships might be better- but not in the Helderberg area.

For those with kids considering it- one thing to know which no reviews show: The back seats are very low with a very high door frame- kids under 14y /1.5m can barely see out the window, and the rear windows do not wind down completely- sticks out roughly 15cm because of the wheel arch. This for us was a big no no. Other than that the car itself is nice to drive, perhaps too much touch screen only options (drove the top spec)

I’m not a fan of any brand specifically when it comes to practicality,
but for a R100k less the (smaller) new toyota cross top spec 1.8/ hybrid is perhaps much better, safer option, and the blend of screen/buttons a lot better. You also know you’ll have good resale 5 years from now.
That's a very good review, wish someone the Helderberg guys could read it, nothing spoils your car hunting day like some overeager salesperson.

PsyPhin

Does anyone know of any Haval Spares shop apart from dealers? I am looking for bits of trim that I messed up on some rocks to compare against dealer prices. Like Goldwagen is for VW.

Vuilhaas

Went for a test drive in the new H6, watched lots of detailed YT of the features- seems incredible on paper BUT…They have an long way to go wrt dealerships, how to treat customers professionally etc.

The overall feeling was one of those shady 2nd car dealerships, complete with stained shirt “boepens” as the DP and all. Kept talking trash towards other brands, and kept trying to force us to drive the P series- although we had no interest (and know it well).
The customer experience is very important, it’s what you have to deal with in case things go wrong- and it fell very short there. It’s not worth spending 500K on any product, regardless of how good it seems on paper, or in reviews, if the service doesn’t back it up. Some
dealerships might be better- but not in the Helderberg area.

For those with kids considering it- one thing to know which no reviews show: The back seats are very low with a very high door frame- kids under 14y /1.5m can barely see out the window, and the rear windows do not wind down completely- sticks out roughly 15cm because of the wheel arch. This for us was a big no no. Other than that the car itself is nice to drive, perhaps too much touch screen only options (drove the top spec)

I’m not a fan of any brand specifically when it comes to practicality,
but for a R100k less the (smaller) new toyota cross top spec 1.8/ hybrid is perhaps much better, safer option, and the blend of screen/buttons a lot better. You also know you’ll have good resale 5 years from now.
Thanks for the detailed review. I've been to two Haval dealerships and they were both really bad, for several reasons. I did like the H6 though.

Funny you mention the Corolla Cross Hybrid, as this is exactly what I've got my eye on now that I'm not as keen on the H6. I've reserved a test drive and am waiting for the launch to drive one. Never driven a hybrid before so I'm really looking forward to it

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Does anyone know of any Haval Spares shop apart from dealers? I am looking for bits of trim that I messed up on some rocks to compare against dealer prices. Like Goldwagen is for VW.
I honestly don't think you are going to find them anywhere besides the dealer, especially body parts, other spares are slowly becoming available.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Looking for an affordable new bakkie? These R200 000 options could be your next pick

• We list the three most affordable bakkies in South Africa.

• The Mahindra Bolero is the cheapest at R170 999.

• All three bakkies are not endowed with a host a features.

GWM Steed 5 2.2 MPi Workhorse - R204 900

The Steed is the most expensive bakkie in this company and is powered by a 2.2-litre petrol engine that produces 73kW and 180Nm. At 70L, Its fuel tank is also substantially bigger than both the Nissan (50L) and Bolero's (45L), giving it a theoretical range of over 700km on a full tank of fuel. Like the other two bakkies, the entry-level NP200 is a basic bakkie with minimal features, but it boasts front and rear fog lights, central locking, a media system that is USB compatible, power steering, and air-con.

A five-year or 100 000km warranty is standard, but a service plan is optional.

GWM 1.jpeg GWM 2.jpeg

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Ora Cat supermini EV launching in UK from £25k

VW ID 3-rivalling electric hatchback promises 261 miles of range

The new Ora Cat, a Chinese-built electric hatchback due on sale in the UK from December and priced from just £25,000, has been revealed promising efficiency and performance figures that outshine several key rivals.

Launched in China in 2018 and confirmed for a European roll-out at the Munich motor show in September, the Cat is the newest model from the nascent, EV-only Ora subbrand formed by automotive giant Great Wall Motors (GWM). Five years after pulling the uncompetitive Steed pick-up from sale in the UK, GWM is re-entering the market with models from Ora and the more premium-oriented Wey marque, whose plug-in hybrid Coffee 01 SUV is due to arrive in Europe next year.

What most obviously marks the Cat out from other EVs at this price point is its maximum range of 261 miles, which is more than double that of the similarly priced Mazda MX-30 and slightly more than even the top-rung Renault Zoe. That maximum figure is achieved by a Cat featuring a 63kWh (gross) battery pack. That model is expected to cost from around £28,000, although a smaller 58kWh option with a 209-mile range will also be available.

Both are capable of charging at 80kW from a CCS fast charger, while 6.6kW single-phase and three-phase 11kW AC charging are standard on all models. Power is sent to a motor on the front axle – a drivetrain configuration which Ora bosses believe will aid the car’s popularity on wet UK roads. The motor makes 169bhp and 184lb ft, which sends the Cat from 0-30mph in 3.8sec, 0-62mph in 8.5sec and on to a top speed of 100mph.

Cat 2.jpeg

Cat 1.jpeg
Cat 3.jpeg Cat 4.jpeg Cat 5.jpeg Cat 6.jpeg

judalion55

It's really unfortunate that Ora and other electric offerings aren't here in South Africa.
I have heard rumors about late in 2022, should it be approved for SA (meaning, regualtion authorities and not GWM approvong it for the market). Same with the Tank 300 and maybe Tank 500 - which will be mich more likely since the use normal engines.

Chun_li

I have heard rumors about late in 2022, should it be approved for SA (meaning, regualtion authorities and not GWM approvong it for the market). Same with the Tank 300 and maybe Tank 500 - which will be mich more likely since the use normal engines.

That's really interesting. I wonder if they will launch Tank as a sub brand as well or bank on the Haval name instead.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Holy smokes!

TOP 20: These were South Africa’s best-selling cars and SUVs in October

TOP 20: OCTOBER 2021
  • 1: Volkswagen Polo - 1693
  • 2: Volkswagen Polo Vivo - 1571
  • 3: Toyota Starlet - 1452
  • 4: Toyota Urban Cruiser - 1270
  • 5: Haval Jolion - 1020
  • 6: Kia Picanto - 982
  • 7: Renault Kwid - 814
  • 8: Renault Kiger - 811
  • 9: Suzuki Swift - 803
  • 10: Toyota Corolla Quest - 802
  • 11: Nissan Almera - 735
  • 12: Volkswagen T-Cross - 674
  • 13: Volkswagen Polo Sedan - 664
  • 14: Toyota Fortuner - 660
  • 15: Nissan Magnite - 625
  • 16: Renault Triber - 604
  • 17: Hyundai Grand i10 - 586
  • 18: Suzuki S-Presso - 502
  • 19: Suzuki Vitara Brezza - 487
  • 20: Hyundai Atos - 466

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Toyota Corolla Cross vs Haval Jolion – Which should you buy?

What To Buy

There’s no doubt about it, this is not an easy buying decision to make!

Your decision will be determined by a number of factors including design preference, application (turbo or non-turbo), affordability and ultimately, how much value you place on a badge.

For buyers who care only about getting the most car for their money, the Jolion remains superior in this regard.

Nonetheless, that’s not to say that the Corolla Cross falls short, in fact, quite the opposite. There is definitely merit in considering the Toyota as the Japanese firm has a much larger dealer footprint across South Africa as well as a proven track record for reliability and customer service. It’s also worth noting that the Corolla Cross is therefore likely to hold its value better in the used car market which is important when it comes to trading it in or selling it later on.

If you are still undecided, we suggest that you book a test drive at your local Toyota or Haval dealership and experience the products in the metal.

Snip.jpeg