Haval/GWM Cars

FiestaST

Honorary Master
OPINION | 3 Alternative 'half a bar' SUVs that might be worth considering as 2022 buys
  • For less than R500 000 you can choose from several makes and models.
  • Mahindra, Haval and Nissan stand out for us in this selection.
  • Manual, auto, all-wheel-drive, the choice is yours in this segment.
Audi. BMW. Mercedes-Benz. Porsche. They're tried-and-tested SUV brands, and we all, arguably, love them and want them. But they're moving on in price.

Half a million rand might not buy you your dream German SUV, but if you're in the fortunate position of having around R500 000 to spend on a new vehicle for you and your family in 2022 in South Africa, we have a few SUVs in mind that you might find compelling enough to sign an offer to purchase on.

We took a look at new car prices in South Africa and narrowed down a list of new sports utility vehicles (priced between R400 000 and R500 000) that we consider as genuinely good alternatives to some of the mainstream German brands.

1. Mahindra XUV 500

2. Haval H6

3. Nissan X-Trail

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Bakkie 0-100-0km/h Testing! - Hilux vs Ranger vs Amarok vs Navara vs P-Series vs BT-50 - Cars.co.za

FiestaST

Honorary Master
TOP 10: South Africa’s best- and worst-selling bakkies in November 2021

After a strong showing in October, the South African bakkie and light commercial vehicle market fell flat in November, registering a year-on-year decline of 0.8 percent, according to Naamsa figures.

However, with a new Ford Ranger and Isuzu D-Max on the way in 2022, this vehicle segment is likely to see growth again in the not-too-distant future. For now though, the Toyota Hilux, with 2558 sales in November, continues to outsell the current D-Max and Ranger models, which registered sales of 1666 and 1165 respectively. The top five also saw a close tussle between the GWM P-Series (655) and Nissan Navara (617).

These were the 10 top-selling bakkies in November:

• Toyota Hilux - 2558
  • Isuzu D-Max - 1666
  • Ford Ranger - 1165
  • GWM P-Series - 655
  • Nissan Navara - 617
  • Nissan NP200 - 589
  • Mahindra Scorpio Pik-Up - 506
  • GWM Steed - 344
  • Toyota Land Cruiser PU - 229
  • Hyundai H100 Bakkie - 176

FiestaST

Honorary Master
With Global Sales of 2 Million Units, GWM pickup Launches Competitive Model Jingangpao at Auto Guangzhou 2021

On November 19, GWM pickup launched its competitive model Jingangpao, among other new models, at the Auto Guangzhou 2021 and held a celebration event for its global sales exceeding 2 million units.

“GWM pickup has achieved a global sales of 2 million units, hitting a historic high,” Zhang Haobao, brand general manager said at the launch ceremony. According to reports, GWM pickup is the first Chinese pickup brand that has made such a breakthrough in sales, becoming the only Chinese pickup brand to enter the 2-million Club.

In the pickup exhibition area, a brand new product Jingangpao caught the attention of all visitors. It looks very stylish with its sleek lines and cool hubs. In terms of dimensions, the length, width and height of the pickup body are 5,635mm, 1,880mm and 1,815 (1,840) mm. The wheelbase is 3,410mm and the length, width and height of its cargo box are 1,820mm, 1,500mm, and 495 (470)mm, respectively. According to official data, the new model will be equipped with both a petrol engine and a diesel engine. The petrol engine is the GW4C20B 2.0T with a maximum power of 140kW, while the diesel engine is the GW4D20M 2.0T with a maximum power of 120kW.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Updated GWM Steed lands in South Africa – features detailed

After decades of service to the South African SOE, fleet and business customers, as well as leisure and lifestyle customers seeking a utility vehicle that is a versatile workhorse, Haval Motors SA announces that a new and upgraded version of the GWM Steed range will be available in dealerships across the country from mid-December and again after the festive break.

Deliveries to dealerships will resume early in January 2022. The new generation GWM Steed will replace the current Steed 5, Steed 6 and Steed 5e.

There will be two grades of the GWM Steed available to the South African buyer. The “S” grade is a workhorse level specification & the “SX” is a mid-grade specification level. Both the single and double-cab Steed share the same diesel engine paired with a six-speed manual transmission. The petrol Steed powerplant will be discontinued in lieu of the greater diesel powerplant gains in terms of performance and fuel economy. This unit delivers 110 kW and 320 N.m of torque.

In December last year, the AA released NCAP results that didn’t bode well for the Steed even though the very base model was tested. The vehicle in question was the entry level without Airbags or ABS. Taking this extremely seriously, the R&D and product planning teams both domestically and in China, jumped to action and just 12 months later brings a vehicle that is updated with more safety features. With the launch of this GWM Steed, dual airbags and ABS will be fitted as standard across the range.

The model line-up for the 2022 GWM Steed starts off with the single-cab which will be available in 2,0 S 4×2 6MT, 2,0 S 4×4 6MT and 2,0 SX 4×4 6MT only in diesel derivatives. The double-cab offering is 2,0 SX 4×2 6MT and 2,0 SX 4×4 6MT.

GWM 1.jpeg GWM 2.jpeg GWM 3.jpeg GWM 4.jpeg

FiestaST

Honorary Master
GWM Steed Bakkie Updated for 2022

Chinese bakkie maker GWM has given its Steed workhorse a few upgrades. Here are details and specifications.

The GWM Steed has been around for quite some time and while the arrival of the GWM P-Series has stolen nearly all the limelight, the Chinese brand wants the Steed to remain relevant to the workhorse portion of the market.

GWM has announced the new and upgraded Steed will be hitting dealerships from the middle of December and this model will be replacing the outgoing Steed 5, Steed 6 and Steed 5e.

The changes and upgrades are substantial with spec updates, some design work and a revised engine. There will be two grades on offer; S and SX, and both a single-cab and double-cab derivative. Customers will have a 6-speed manual gearbox paired to a diesel engine. Speaking of engine, there are increases of 5 kW and 15 Nm (now 110 kW and 320 Nm), and the torque is available 400 rpm lower. Lag is said to have been reduced, with improvements to throttle response.

Impressively, GWM has addressed the safety issue after the AA NCAP results showed poor performance from the Steed. Research and development work in both locally and China has seen improvements with the addition of dual airbags and anti-lock brakes as standard across the range.

GWM Steed Levels of Trim

S Grade:

Power Steering
Outer tie down Hook rail
Remote Central Locking
Dual Front Airbags
Radio AM/FM with USB
Power adjustable mirrors + Electric windows
Manual Aircon
16-inch Steel Wheels
Electronic 4WD (2H, 4H & 4L modes): 4×4 Model Only

Note: Upgrade vs previous Steed version without Airbags & ABS +EBD

SX Grade (In addition to the above spec on S Grade):

Front & Rear Fog lamps
Rear Bumper & Rear park Distance Sensors*
Guard Rail (Single Cab only)
Partial Leather seats & Steering
16-inch Alloy Wheels + Tyre Pressure Monitor*
ABS + EBD
Power adjustable mirrors + Electric windows
Auto Aircon (Double Cab Only)
Chrome plated Front Grille & Door Handles

Note: * – Upgrade vs previous

The model line-up for the 2022 Steed is split as follows, Single Cab will be available in 2.0 S 4×2 6MT; 2.0 S 4×4 6MT; 2.0 SX 4×4 6MT, again only in diesel derivatives. The Double Cab offering is 2.0 SX 4×2 6MT and 2.0 SX 4×4 6MT.

Pricing for the new GWM Steed will be announced in due course, with the brand adding that a service plan is available as standard only on the Double Cab version (3 years/40 000 km), however, an optional purchase service plan is available for Single Cab. The new Steed will continue from its predecessor offering a warranty of 5 years/ 100 000km.

Bakkie 1.jpeg Bakkie 2.jpeg Bakkie 3.jpeg Bakkie 4.jpeg Bakkie 5.jpeg

FiestaST

Honorary Master
GWM Steed gets facelift, engine upgrade and enhanced safety for 2022

The GWM Steed 5 is one of South Africa’s most affordable bakkies, but it’s also getting a little long in the tooth. But now the Chinese carmaker has freshened it up with an exterior facelift as well as enhanced safety specification and an upgraded diesel engine.

The 2022 GWM Steed will be available at dealerships from mid-December onwards, in single cab and double cab formats, and it replaces the current Steed 5, Steed 5e and Steed 6 models.

Exterior styling changes include a new grille and front bumper, while the cabin design has been upgraded to match the look and feel of the previous Steed 6.

Beneath the bonnet, the 2.2-litre normally aspirated petrol engine falls away, leaving GWM’s 2.0-litre turbodiesel as the sole option. This oil burner has been given an upgrade for MY2022, gaining 5kW and 15Nm for a total of 110kW at 4000rpm and 320Nm between 1400 and 2800rpm.

In all models the diesel engine is paired with a six-speed manual gearbox and, depending on the variant, buyers can choose between rear-wheel drive and four-wheel drive configurations.

All models come with a five-year/100 000km warranty, while the double cab is sold with a service plan valid for three years or 40 000km.

2022 GWM Steed pricing

Single Cab

2.0 S 4x2 - R241 900
2.0 S 4x4 - R271 900
2.0 SX 4x4 - R291 900

Double Cab

2.0 SX 4x2 - R324 900
2.0 S 4x4 - R334 900
2.0 SX 4x4 - R354 900

Snip 1.jpeg Snip 2.jpeg

FiestaST

Honorary Master
GWM Ora Ballet and Punk Cat key specifications revealed

The GWM Ora Ballet and Punk Cat have already entered production but we now have official technical specs. Although it’s not the full list of details, we have some idea of the dimensions and battery capacity based on information supplied by the manufacturer.

Both GWM Ora Ballet and Punk Cat models will be fitted with a 126 kW electric motor mated to the front axle. Two battery pack options are available of which the larger one measures in at 59,1 kWh which gives it a claimed range of 500 km, based on the NEDC cycle. No information has been provided for the smaller battery.

Where dimensions are concerned, the GWM Ora Ballet and Punk Cat will measure 4 401 mm long, 1 867 mm wide and 1 633 mm tall with a wheelbase of 2 750 mm.

GWM South Africa has not given any comment regarding a possible introduction of the Ora sub-brand into our local market.

Ora 1.jpeg Ora 2.jpeg

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
Is there anyone with a Haval H6C that has successfully upgraded the multimedia system to Android Auto? What was the cost?

SirFooK'nG

Executive Member
Is there anyone with a Haval H6C that has successfully upgraded the multimedia system to Android Auto? What was the cost?
Yes, years ago. I used the one they said I must use (KiriNavi - at an approved installer). Has had a moment or two where it did strange things. But I would say 99% uptime and no issues. Cost was about R12K. I have not looked if there are newer suppliers (should be by now)

Edit: Found this one, no Idea how it is, but it has Apple Carplay and Android Auto which mine does not.

Last edited:

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
Yes, years ago. I used the one they said I must use (KiriNavi - at an approved installer). Has had a moment or two where it did strange things. But I would say 99% uptime and no issues. Cost was about R12K. I have not looked if there are newer suppliers (should be by now)
Thanks! 12k is steep. I'd hoped it would be a lot less than that. You get anything else for the 12k or just the software upgrade?

hj2k_x

Honorary Master

Edit: Found this one, no Idea how it is, but it has Apple Carplay and Android Auto which mine does not.
Did they swap out the whole head unit? Not just a software upgrade?