Have you been a victim of crime?

Have you been a victim of crime over the last year?

• Yes

Votes: 223 64.8%
  • No

Votes: 121 35.2%

• Total voters

rpm

Admin
Staff member
The SAPS released South Africa’s crime stats today, showing a mixed bag of results. Many crimes increased, while others decreased.

What is your experience about crime in South Africa? Have you been a victim of crime over the last year, and if so, can you give details?

eg2505

Honorary Master
not in the past year, been very fortunate.

but yes previously had cars stolen ect...

smi

Expert Member
Yes, woke up with 3 guys coming into my bedroom, it ended badly for 2 of them. I have a scar to this day as reminder. That was while living in a security complex, Gauteng.

OCP

Expert Member
(2 weeks ago) Attempted mugging - they got nothing from me except a bloody nose.
(15th of June) Car window smashed outside girlfriends house (nothing stolen as I emptied the car)
(end of January) Garage doors stolen during the night (dogs and alarm stopped them from coming into the property)

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
Some guys decided that they want access to my garden and my neighbours garden.
They broke my front gate cheap Chinese lock in about 30 seconds then spent another 2.5 hours trying to break my Yale.

When that failed they cut my broken electric fence and threw an oil drum into my yard to help them get back out again.

One of them spent about 15 minutes looking at my garage door trying to get in there quietly but the 4 disc locks on the door dissuaded him.

They then tried getting into my neighbours yard but he woke up so they hid in my yard for another hour before leaving.

They knew I had cameras and did not go anywhere near them.
Garage door now has a camera above it and electric fence is working again.

wbot

Luckily not in the past year or two. A few times previously though. Only once had the criminals in my face when I was mugged by 3 guys when I was a teen. An old gardener came to my rescue haha and they ran off with just my cellphone.

Over the years they broke into my car (they didn't take anything but they tried to take out the car radio but failed because it was impossible to remove without removing the entire dashboard), they broke into my garage, had 2 bicycles stolen at the same time, and I was one of several people at one time who had money stolen out of my absa bank account by absa employees apparently which is why I moved to fnb. Will never trust absa with my money again.

Most recently 3 years ago in December they tried unsuccessfully to break into my house through the roof nogal. Made one hell of a noise sliding the tiles out on the roof while we slept. We woke up and I thought at first it was a large bird or something because it happens where I live. Then I could clearly hear roof tiles being removed so I (maybe stupidly?) went outside. Wife pressed the panic button which woke up all the neighbours. Anyway once outside I could hear someone jumping down behind the house. Thought he was coming for me but I didn't see anyone. He jumped over the wall into the neighbour's yard and disappeared. Armed response guys arrived within 2min and police shortly after. There were maybe about 10 guys in and around our yard.

Our washing lines were cut which according to police could've been used to strangle maybe, patio chairs and table were stacked on top of each other to get onto the roof, and the complex perimeter wall was taken apart in neighbour's yard and the electric fence was cut which is how he/they got into the complex. No alarms were triggered for some bizarre reason.

That's about it for my experiences with crime.... So far.....

Last edited:

maumau

Honorary Master
Yes, had what looked like a jewelry box stolen by workers who came to install a shower.

It was my late husband's ashes :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

Sorry if anyone is offended because I laugh about it.

Also had a lot of cutlery pinched and other pretty theft.

Last edited:

Francois Marais

Armed robbery while blocked in by taxis (gun against my head)
Stole all the cash I had for a colonoscopy appointment.
Work laptop
Flash drives
Hard drives and everything else in my laptop bag.
And my trusted iPhone 6, iphone was switched off just after they took it (JHB CBD)
November 2018

gottagoon

Yes, had what looked like a jewelry box stolen by workers who came to install a shower.

It was my late husband's ashes :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

Sorry if anyone is offended because I laugh about it.

Also had a lot of cutlery pinched and other pretty theft.
Good person in spite of the crap happening. You're an amazing and strong individual. You somehow manage to see the funny side in spite of everything. I already admire you. No jokes.

maumau

Honorary Master
Good person in spite of the crap happening. You're an amazing and strong individual. You somehow manage to see the funny side in spite of everything. I already admire you. No jokes.
That's a very sweet thing to say, thank you :)