Have you been a victim of crime?

Have you been a victim of crime over the last year?

• Yes

Votes: 226 65.1%
  • No

Votes: 121 34.9%

• Total voters

SpliceGold

I was not being an ass. I would hate the fact that someone was even just in my yard *shivers*, and only lack of funds would prevent me from securing it.
Lack of funds is a major issue with regards to safety. In my area there is a break in/attempted break in every other day. Problem is if they really want to get in they will. The more brazen armed ones will. The petty criminal is deterred by electric fences, dogs etc...

And please people do not rely on your dog to guard your home.

Red Plumstead

Expert Member
3 times. And this is in a "middle-class" area.
1) Broken into guesthouse in Hermanus while we were sleeping. Stolen my money cards, ID's etc.
2) Stolen my car 1 year old with Netstar tracker, immobilizer, alarm right in front of my house.
3) Broken into my house (twice) Stole multiple items. Also with alarm and armed response and all other security.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Lack of funds is a major issue with regards to safety. In my area there is a break in/attempted break in every other day. Problem is if they really want to get in they will. The more brazen armed ones will. The petty criminal is deterred by electric fences, dogs etc...

A dog is a biological alarm system in my opinion, and thus only works if there is someone there who hears it's signal/siren (barking) and responds to it.

SpliceGold

A dog is a biological alarm system in my opinion, and thus only works if there is someone there who hears it's signal/siren (barking) and responds to it.
Very true for the light sleeper :ROFL: Some members of my lovely neighborhood I live keep their large dogs outside. They have kept them away from strangers to make them more aggressive and swear no one will ever come in their yard with all their Boerboels and Rotties :confused:

Nabeela nabz Jassat

Yes the past year almost every night and 3 times in the day the past few months , There's ppl jumping into our yard... Stealing like u can't believe... Unfortunately our landlord doesn't seam to be interested n just makes false promises

Xarelto

My apologies.

falcon786

Executive Member
Had my Flat broken into, security gate and solid wood door, totally destroyed, new laptop, playstation and 2 cellphones stolen.

Then twice in the last year - my cellphone stolen / removed from my person - forcefully.

Just to add insult to injury ;

Never mind my car being abused by someone with a shopping trolley in the parking area, on numerous occasions. Off course no one says or saw anything.
Guy broke into my new house about a month ago,alarm wasn't on and back gate wasn't locked that day because telkom guy installed a line there a week before that and we forgot to check it,he managed to get my ps4 before wife heard someone was in the house and then he saw us from the other end of the house and ran away.

I have an IP address for my PS4 that logged in 2 weeks later registered to Bitco...wonder if I can track it without involving the useless cops as that would involve too much hair pulling for them to get a court order.

Anybody here work for BITCO please PM me if you can help.At this point it's not about the ps4 as it's probably being used by an innocent 3rd party who bought it as second hand, but hopefully we can back track it to the outlet selling it and then perhaps the thief himself which is what we want.

Mystryx

Yep. People in my garden. Pitbull scared the bejeebus out of them. Attempted hijacking. Previously all sorts of break ins etc.

maumau

Honorary Master
Yes the past year almost every night and 3 times in the day the past few months , There's ppl jumping into our yard... Stealing like u can't believe... Unfortunately our landlord doesn't seam to be interested n just makes false promises
:( not nice.

BTW if your dogs are in the front garden watch out for poisoning.

TimBru14

Last year April, I parked my NP200 in a parking lot across the road from the restaurant that I was having dinner at with my family. Waitress comes along just as I'm about to leave and asks if I drove a white bakkie. After I answered, she prompted me to go have a look at the one down the road. Walk over to my car to find the passenger door wide open, wipers half way through a cycle (thieves must've got some life out of it), a bunch of tools on the driver's seat and my ignition completely stuffed. Thankfully my sound system and even money inside the car was not taken.
Worst part of the story was that my insurance wouldn't cover the new ignition system + repairs which meant I had to fork out just over 2k to get my car in driveable condition again.

lowriderza

Expert Member
Just remembered the last incident. I had a wall jumper steal some of my power tools. What really got me was it was my late father's. :(

Jings

Treasure Maker
Garmin stolen out of my car in a "secure complex" some months back.