Have you been a victim of online fraud?

Have you been a victim of online/internet fraud?

• Yes - they got me

Votes: 24 23.1%
  • No - but they got someone I know well

Votes: 21 20.2%
  • Nope

Votes: 50 48.1%
  • Other

Votes: 9 8.7%

• Total voters

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Have you, or someone you know intimately, been a victim of online or internet fraud? If so what form did it take?

Were you/they able to successfully seek redress? Or perhaps you help prevent a friend or family member from becoming a victim?

Thugscub

Expert Member
Nearly. Tracked the pos down. Sold me a rare car part. Didn't deliver.
He was selling a car under a different name, same phone number. Met up to buy the non existent car.
Grabbed him by the scruff, shook him like a rat. Got my money back.

Nemoneiros

Executive Member
Have you, or someone you know intimately, been a victim of online or internet fraud? If so what form did it take?

Were you/they able to successfully seek redress? Or perhaps you help prevent a friend or family member from becoming a victim?
Almost, but avoided it. It does however take that one moment where you are deur die kak to catch you out.

spiff

Executive Member
nearly got caught out - back in the 90's I bought a dvd box set from a UK online shop - paid via my std bank MC.
2 days later there was another transaction for the same amount from the same shop. went to std bank got them to check and they reversed the 2nd transaction - dvd box set arrived a week later.

ISP cash cow

Executive Member
Yes twice had it when someone was charging a netflix account to my business credit card, Cards were cancelled and the charges reversed. Suspected it was something to do with the bank, as both times it happened on My American Express card which I never use, and the second time I actually had not used it at all. also as soon as I get my Credit cards I scratch out the CVV numbers on my cards so even if someone got hold of the card in my wallet they still would not be able to use it. Cancelled the American express card (which I didn't even want in the first place) and all is right in the world again

Cray

Honorary Master
Two random transactions on an old credit card for about R400 and R500 respectively from some random location in the US. Stopped the card via the fraud line and the bank reversed the charges after I signed an affidavit

Charlesjjm

Other. My Netflix account was hijacked, but I managed to get back control before they locked me out completely. By the time I saw the email notification, my email address and cellphone number had already been changed. This was after the experian data breach.....

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Almost. I saw an amount of a little over R10k going off my card one morning (just after 12am). Luckily the transaction was flagged and later reversed by the bank's anti-fraud department.

Mrcricket

Expert Member
I bought a few items on Ebay which were never sent and turned out to be fraudulent advertising. Fortunately, Ebay's buyer protection is quite good and so got the money back after reporting the listing.

I heard that the sellers sometimes do that for interest free loans.

Brian_G

Expert Member
Someone called Bad Cow (was / is a well known Russian black hat spammer) managed to buy European airline tickets on my credit card. Reported it quickly as I was checking the statements, got it straight back and just had to replace the card.
About 20 Grand.

Years ago my flatmate sold a PC via online, the bank-stamped "cash" deposit slip was done as a fake second deposit slip copy, and it was actually a stolen or bounced cheque used.
Maybe 5 Grand.

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
a couple of you are describing credit card fraud, which I've been a "victim" of many times ... I say "victim" because I've never been left out of pocket, there's easy recourse

that doesn't count as online/internet fraud as described in the wiki article linked in the OP though, so I voted "nope"

MickeyDangerez

Growing up in the fields I have an uncanny eye to spot scams. However, they are getting smart and using uncanny ways to dupe people. Too good to be true principle holds. How do you buy classifieds and second hand online if it's not local.

MickeyDangerez

I bought a few items on Ebay which were never sent and turned out to be fraudulent advertising. Fortunately, Ebay's buyer protection is quite good and so got the money back after reporting the listing.

I heard that the sellers sometimes do that for interest free loans.
Wishtopia: when the populous start paying for things they wish they had.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Growing up in the fields I have an uncanny eye to spot scams. However, they are getting smart and using uncanny ways to dupe people. Too good to be true principle holds. How do you buy classifieds and second hand online if it's not local.

Many scammers use the fear of missing out on a really good deal, that is when things like holding deposits come in so that the deal doesn't go to someone else.

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
Paypal your 6 month to despite and reverse insurance ;) <- Shameless plug.