Have you been called by your ID number?

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
Listening to 702 and it seems many people have received a call from their ID numbers.

Well, it's not that hard to obtain someone's ID number.

How do they spoof? And what is the intention, because it seems most have been missed calls.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Listening to 702 and it seems many people have received a call from their ID numbers.

Well, it's not that hard to obtain someone's ID number.

How do they spoof? And what is the intention, because it seems most have been missed calls.
Probably Wangiri scam related, and they had bought a list of IDs and mobile number from somewhere, using your ID nr, they might think you are more likely to call back (that is if you are bale to call back? shrug, just a guess). The spoofing of caller I can't answer.

https://mybroadband.co.za/news/cell...ssed-calls-can-cost-you-hundreds-of-rand.html

Sig_sys_7

Probably Wangiri scam related, and they had bought a list of IDs and mobile number from somewhere, using your ID nr, they might think you are more likely to call back (that is if you are bale to call back? shrug, just a guess). The spoofing of caller I can't answer.

https://mybroadband.co.za/news/cell...ssed-calls-can-cost-you-hundreds-of-rand.html
Premium call return fraud relies on an addressable numbering plan. You can't return a call to your id number.

This is a social engineering technique to get people to answer robo-calls which will then enrich and correlate a real number to an identity.

Solarion

Honorary Master
Either bank or Vodascum.

I'm banking on the latter. After signing up with Vodacom some years back, that very month I was getting spam sms's and phone calls. A brand new number was suddenly for all to see. Some of the EVEN KNEW MY NAME!

It may not be Vodacom directly, but there are employees at Vodacom who make a little on the side by selling contact information of clients.

Sig_sys_7

Either bank or Vodascum.

I'm banking on the latter. After signing up with Vodacom some years back, that very month I was getting spam sms's and phone calls. A brand new number was suddenly for all to see. Some of the EVEN KNEW MY NAME!

It may not be Vodacom directly, but there are employees at Vodacom who make a little on the side by selling contact information of clients.
Agreed. I was going to edit, my post to add some pertinent information but that pertains to my irl work and there are keen doxxers here.

Either bank or Vodascum.

Nope, I'm not on Vodacom.