Have you been hit by crime during the past year?

kaspaas

Expert Member
Yes - car theft.

Police were at the scene within 10 minute after I called, but the car was never found.

JazzeD

Yes
Broke into house
Stole CD's (Music CD's,Old games ,blank CD's ,Fedora and Freebsd CD's :) )
A CD top loader radio and some jewelry.

lord_spaceman

Expert Member
yes (not me directly), but my best friend was almost clubbed with a plank for a cell phone and my mother was held up with a gun to her face. Both incidents happened in the space of two weeks, both less than 250 meters away from each other.

kingmonty

Expert Member
yes

hijacked, burgled, life threatened, attempted smash and grab (brick left a dent in the door instead of smashing the window)

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Well, only yesterday my mom was ran into ( has scrapes on her knees and wrist) by a bagsnatcher that had taken a gogo's big handbag and was running away...

biltonguy

Yes - my car has been broken into a couple times and then stolen it was later found but was totally stripped.

Khyron

Yes,

Attempted hijacking, Successful hijacking, car theft, and this week no electricity due to cable theft.

Hint: Do NOT call 10111 in an emergency. By the time an operator is located who is awake and can understand English, your emergency will have reached its conclusion. Call your security company or local police station as they have a better chance in reaching you quickly.

pointa00

Thre has been broken into our house 5 times in the last 3 months that is why we are busy moving as i speak...

savage

Expert Member
house / car breakins - more than once... Frankly, it happens so often I know most of the cops by name :(

zesto

Yes, both my friend and i were defrauded out of R3500 which we managed to get back a few months later after a lengthy investigation. I suspect the investigating officer was paid to ""find no" evidence..

Two guys also attempted to break into my girlfriends house last month, 4pm on a friday while we were all in the house. When they couldn't get in they proceeded to break into the neighbours house.
Probably the same guys that robbed the neighbours 2 houses up at gun point. They cleared the house out, took the cars and cut an elderly womans face up :(

Goobie

Expert Member
parkinson007 said:
Yes, both my friend and i were defrauded out of R3500 which we managed to get back a few months later after a lengthy investigation. I suspect the investigating officer was paid to ""find no" evidence..

Two guys also attempted to break into my girlfriends house last month, 4pm on a friday while we were all in the house. When they couldn't get in they proceeded to break into the neighbours house.
Probably the same guys that robbed the neighbours 2 houses up at gun point. They cleared the house out, took the cars and cut an elderly womans face up :(
geez...where did this happen?

StreetWise

I lent a friend my old computer. She never returned it. My newer one broke down so I insisted she return it. She told me she needed to back up the data and I should wait. She then never returned my calls for weeks.

I then found out the computer was stolen and she had made a claim through the insurance company. The 'burglar' saw it sitting in front of a window at her work where she left it the whole weekend (she never usually does this). She was then given a brand-new one by the insurance. Now she says my old computer wasn't a lot so she's keeping the new one and I mustn't bother her anymore!! The insurance company, Santam, took her side.

The odd thing is she is a well-known wine-maker who often gets interviewed in the newspaper. She lives in a super house in Stellenbosch, drives an expensive 4X4 and has a lavish lifestyle, travelling abroad regularly.

It seems the 'stuff you, I'm keeping your belongings attitude' is not confined to the township scruffs. Maybe the legal system is just not strong enough.

swordfish1

Expert Member
crap, mods, please delete this thread, it is so depressing ... I am going for the bottle of cyanide :mad:

I guess I am one of the lucky ones too, no violent crime has happened to me, but on other hand I have been robbed by telkom, insurance companies and multichoice, and there is nothing I can do about it :(

zesto

Goobie said:
geez...where did this happen?
Bromhof/Boskruin Randburg, used to be fairly safe but its horrible lately. All this is happening in a townhouse complex!

And NO, i dont think this thread should be removed because this is the reality of living in South Africa we need to be able to talk about this and vent somewhere.

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member
moms purse got stolen and at the same time stole a defrosting frozen chicken.... My dinner, NOoooooo.

guang

My BMW was stolen 2 years ago,I cancelled my insurance at that time,but insurance company was still conducting money from my credit card until last month.