Have you been involved in a motor vehicle accident?

How many MVAs have you been involved in?

• None

Votes: 42 14.8%
  • Just the one

Votes: 64 22.5%
  • Two

Votes: 64 22.5%
  • Three

Votes: 55 19.4%
  • Four

Votes: 14 4.9%
  • Five or more

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Other / Too many to count

Votes: 8 2.8%

• Total voters

eg2505

Honorary Master
All true, which is why 90% of the time the throttle is your best defense.
problem is ridiculously fast, but invisible and not much stopping power.
so yes you might escape the Combi quickly, only to get mowed down by somebody changing lanes that you/they didnt see.
plenty of advantages being on a bike, unfortunately none I see as worth it.

anyway, I value my internal organs, feel a lot safer in a cage with metal around it.
not exposed and ready to fall off and get a severe rash from sliding on the pavement.
or ragdoll over a car, that has no chance of seeing me anyway.

KingMikel

1. Passenger, smashed from behind.
2. Passenger, smashed from behind 2 weeks after 1st incident.
3. Bumped an old man's Merc C-Class when the guy in front of him slammed on brakes. Just the bumper and my ego were damaged.
4. Hit off my motorcycle by an aggressive lane-changer.
5. Bumped from behind in our brand new 120i by an overzealous Uber driver, effing messed my coffee over my nice clothes & car.

KingMikel

Only one, ran over a drunk guy on the N1 outgoing just before the Engin garage in May 2006. R20k damage on a car I've only had for 6 months since brand new. Then never again. My wife have had a few claims over the last 7 or so years, first bumped the back of a big bakkie in her polo, then an old lady bumped into her Up! from behind in an intersection, then an arsehole in an Isuzu drove into her (she was driving my car) in Somerset West at a red light when she stopped (his excuse was that he expected her to jump the red as it just turned red).
Dude, the people in Somerset West drive like poopie.

chromedome

Expert Member
Five or more, this is excluding minor fender benders. First one my car a Cortina big six was written off, the road was oily and wet, car lost traction I spun and hit a robot.

Second was my fault entirely, got shitfaced and drove my mom's beetle into a pole, I fixed the beetle. Third one was in a XR6 got hit by a truck changing lanes, car written off.

Fourth one I was waiting at a stop street when a car drove into the back of my Kombi, I fixed the damage myself.Fifth was in a Ford Bantam, woman drove into my door as I was making a right turn, she failed to see my indicator, insurance paid out and car repaired.

KingMikel

Five or more, this is excluding minor fender benders. First one my car a Cortina big six was written off, the road was oily and wet, car lost traction I spun and hit a robot.

Second was my fault entirely, got shitfaced and drove my mom's beetle into a pole, I fixed the beetle. Third one was in a XR6 got hit by a truck changing lanes, car written off.

Fourth one I was waiting at a stop street when a car drove into the back of my Kombi, I fixed the damage myself.Fifth was in a Ford Bantam, woman drove into my door as I was making a right turn, she failed to see my indicator, insurance paid out and car repaired.
You really giving justification to Ford's acronym...
First
On
Rubbish
Dump

Lupus

Honorary Master
1: 2000 had only been driving for little over 6 months, guy cuts across 3 lanes of traffic in heavy rain, only to realise that oh no there is traffic in front of him, slams on anchors I rear end him. Cop turns around and asks me why I didn't keep a following distance?
2: 2001 driving around trying to find work guy turns into oncoming traffic, I t-bone him, at first he climbs out this little Italian guy shouting and screaming. My door is now not openable due to the fender blocking it, me at my size 191cm 110kg slams door open with the fender buckling even more, quickests I've ever seen anyone apologise, cops still asked if I coerced him into confessing. This did fix up the damage from 2000 as well.
3: 2003 driving home in the dark, pissing down with rain, dodgy tow company dumped oil in the road I slammed my car into the island ripping out the entire carriage. Tow company ended up paying me out for that car.
4: 2006 driving to a funeral, lady just turns in front of me. Her excuse, this is her driveway?? Like turning into oncoming traffic is an excuse?
5: 2013 driving to pick up my wife, Audi in front of me didn't pull off with the rest of traffic, I pulled off into the rear of his car.
6: 2016 reversed into the back of another Audi. Forgot I had a boot on the Cruze, after many many years with Hatchbacks.

This is when it thankfully stops.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Once. I hit a metal object that was left in the middle of the road on N4. There were 3 guys in a Golf standing a few 100s of metre from the object. I later noticed one was carrying a gun. I used their phone and my sim to call for help.

They gave statements to the police and actually stayed with me until my friend as well as my brother arrived. One of them hung out with us until a flatbed took the car away. The other 2 were visibly annoyed.

greg0205

Honorary Master
We used to go to Kenton on Sea for December holidays... One year I drove from Kenton to Grahamstown to pick up my mom's best friend's son who was joining us. He was studying at Rhodes so he spent quite a bit of time in the Eastern Cape.

Anyway, as we were driving back to Kenton he was telling me about an accident he and his dad had had the last time they drove down the R343... He said they hit a cow.

As he said they hit a cow, I hit a cow.

Slid off the road and hit a bush which stopped us going over an embankment.

Good times.

Anyway, three big car wrecks and two big motorcycle wrecks.

EDIT: Three motorcycle wrecks... Forgot the time I got my pilot licence flying off the bonnet and windscreen of a car shooting the light on Republic and Jan Smuts.

Last edited:

Grant

Honorary Master
some more spectacular than others.
rolled a car on the highway near richards bay - uninjured.

hit by a car jumping a red light on william nicoll - 2 dead in the car i was in.

going home at around 7am after leaving a club - never noticed what is probably the biggest traffic circle in the western cape , sailed right over it and landed up in the flea market opposite - dignity in tatters

oh, one more:
my father had a few "exotic" cars - i was not allowed anywhere near them.
one of which was a 64 e-type jag, convertible. the thing was pristine, always at jaguar club gatherings.
so my parents are away and a friend & i decide the exersize the old girl's legs.
i took every precaution not to be caught out - marked the tyres and garage floor with chalk, disconnected the odometer etc etc.
friend and i are croozing along umhlanga rocks drive near the sharks board, sucking on a torpedo sized doob.
i never noticed the curve in the road and we glided off the road into the sugar cane field.
sugar cane is wet and slippery - it all probably looked rather elegant.
problem was the crushed sugar cane was too slippery to get out of.
two tow trucks had to form a daisy chain and tow the car out.
no damage to the car, but coated inside and out with bits of sugar cane. the next morning i take it to some valet place that had a hoist, car was cleaned inside and out, underneath the car, wheel arches - everywhere, it was spotless. then i take it to a jaguar workshop, they check top to bottom, nothing damaged or evidence of the night before.
i park the car exactly like it was before our outing, and feeling rather pleased with myself having pulled off the perfect mission.
parents come back, father goes to the garage. GRANT, GET YOUR ARSE HERE NOW.
i nonchalantly stroll to the garage.
WHAT IN GODS NAME DID YOU DO TO THIS CAR
"whaddya mean" i reply
YOU THINK I'M AN IDIOT, LET ME SHOW YOU IDIOT.
with that, he goes off to the kitchen, grabs the keys for my bike and car, and hurls them over the wall into the bush and glares at me : "enjoy the bus for the next month you idiot"

Last edited:

greg0205

Honorary Master

hit by a car jumping a red light on william nicoll - 2 dead in the car i was in.

going home at around 7am after leaving a club - never noticed what is probably the biggest traffic circle in the western cape , sailed right over it and landed up in the flea market opposite - dignity in tatters
I wanna say yikes *and* LOL.

Is that wrong?

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Have you ever been involved in a motor vehicle accident? If so, was it just the one time, or have you been involved in several?

Was it a minor fender bender or did they have to call a wrecker? Who was at fault?
Two. Both caused by another idiot. Both times at a robot, waiting for the light to go green.
Once rear ended by a drunk, the other side swiped by an idiot who went through a red light and swerved into me.

Rajah

Honorary Master

That must have been rough.

Gunner182

Expert Member
Only one, ran over a drunk guy on the N1 outgoing just before the Engin garage in May 2006. R20k damage on a car I've only had for 6 months since brand new. Then never again. My wife have had a few claims over the last 7 or so years, first bumped the back of a big bakkie in her polo, then an old lady bumped into her Up! from behind in an intersection, then an arsehole in an Isuzu drove into her (she was driving my car) in Somerset West at a red light when she stopped (his excuse was that he expected her to jump the red as it just turned red).
Same happened to me in Buitengracht Street. Approaching an amber light and the idiot one car behind me thought we were all going through on amber.

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
One writeoff, one near death experience (almost went under a truck, just lost a panel on the drivers side).

Charlesjjm

One big one:
Wrote off my little Daewoo Matiz in 2012 on the N1 going south.

Had a few minor bumps along the way though, either me or someone into me.

On my little scooter: none, but quite a few near misses.

Rajah

Honorary Master
Same happened to me in Buitengracht Street. Approaching an amber light and the idiot one car behind me thought we were all going through on amber.

People are stupid, we need more red light cameras and less sitting in the bush hiding out cameras.

Tech_

Been in a few MVA some my fault and most were others but by far the worst was when a friend was killed, one was paralyzed and another had minor injuries I wasn't the driver though, still waiting for SPCA to give the driver a Medal of Honor for swerving to avoid hitting a dog running across the road.
To this day I still cringe when I see people sitting cramped in open bakkies as that's where the victims in the accident were.
One a lighter note I rolled my dad's beemer when I was 1 by dropping the hand brake while it was on an incline fortunately it was at home and it only damaged the gate and a few scratches on the rear, not sure if it counts though...