Have you been to Home Affairs recently?

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Quick question regarding unabridged birth certificates

Do you get an SMS or something when it's ready for collection?
DHA web site says 3-8 weeks. Is this accurate?
It arrived.
It had the wrong name on it.

WTF.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Need to urgently get my passport renewed..... Have been there yesterday and today @ 7. It is an absolute circus and queues are about 200-300 people, if not more. From the door, around the parking lot, to the street.

What the hell.....

Why can't we do it at a bank branch in KZN?

oRiX

Went twice to paarl in December, both times there were system glitches and the network is devastatingly slow, 20-30 seconds for the system to assign a queue number to me. Went to CBD on December 18 Network was exactly the same, devastatingly slow, but the people were really friendly and conversational.

Concluded that the system is a piece of turd held together by the determination of the staff.

Kelerei

Expert Member
Need to urgently get my passport renewed..... Have been there yesterday and today @ 7. It is an absolute circus and queues are about 200-300 people, if not more. From the door, around the parking lot, to the street.

What the hell.....

You may want to consider road-tripping to a smaller Home Affairs office -- assuming that you're in Natal, I've heard from friends and family that Scottburgh isn't too bad. Just stay well away from Pinetown unless you are prepared to put your life in jeopardy.

I did this when I lived in Cape Town: used to go to Malmesbury when that branch still existed, and Caledon when Malmesbury closed down. Far smaller queues and better service than a large office.

supersunbird

Honorary Master

What the hell.....

Send a strongly worded letter to Home Affairs. It's all their baby, the banks just provide floor space.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Just so you guys in Cape Town know, the following 2 bank branches now have this facility apparently:

Standard Bank - Canal Walk
FNB - Portside

x32

I tried going to Alexandra Home Affairs around lunch time today. It was a complete mess, with about 100 people queuing out the door. I asked one of the car guards how long he reckoned the wait would be and he said 90 minutes.

I didn't want to risk them closing before serving me, so I left.

I need to apply for unabridged birth certificates for myself, my sister and mom. Can anyone recommend another Home Affairs branch around Johannesburg I should try?

RedViking

Nord of the South
I have managed to, after the 5th attempt, get my passport application done. The first 4 time I went the system was offline. Day 5 I went in at 3pm and walked out at 6:30PM. It takes about 3h30m to process 50 people. They card machines were offline. Was gonna do my passport and ID but fortunately had enough to at least do my Passport (R400).

If their servers stay online the system can be efficient. The people working there tried their best and did not drag their feet, but they are using a government system that is extremely unreliable.

RedViking

Nord of the South
I tried going to Alexandra Home Affairs around lunch time today. It was a complete mess, with about 100 people queuing out the door. I asked one of the car guards how long he reckoned the wait would be and he said 90 minutes.

I didn't want to risk them closing before serving me, so I left.

I need to apply for unabridged birth certificates for myself, my sister and mom. Can anyone recommend another Home Affairs branch around Johannesburg I should try?

It is now the busiest time of the year. Everyone want birth certificates or ID's before the school starts.

A hundred people should take about 3-4 hours if the servers stay online.

Reactions: x32

jdido87

Expert Member
My wife did her passport at the Mitchells Plain branch Friday past. Took a hour and a half. We went there very late, they open till 7pm, don't know till when.

RedViking

Nord of the South
My wife did her passport at the Mitchells Plain branch Friday past. Took a hour and a half. We went there very late, they open till 7pm, don't know till when.
Was till the 10th of Jan. Now it is back to normal unless the government decided to extend it again.

Mr Feesh

Expert Member
just found out I am coming back to SA for work next week. What are the chances of getting an appointment in a week? FNB account is closed, but I still have my ebucks account with my FNB Login? also linked as a credit card on a family members account if this helps. But assume i would need to try open my FNB account quickly (I am currently in london, have applied for a passport here but it takes 9 months to get it!) also any one have any contacts that can advise status of my current passport.