Have you been vaccinated for Covid-19 yet?

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
Sister, mom (99 years old), ex-brother in law going tomorrow 11:30.

Here is me and wife looking on with some trepidation and wondering if we should defy our doctor's rec.

Are their any official contra-indications for receiving the vaccine? My father in law was advised by his GP not to get the vaccine. He is diabetic and overweigh and had 2 heart attacks and a quad bypass 15 years ago. Surely someone this ill should get the vaccine because Covid would kill him?

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Are their any official contra-indications for receiving the vaccine? My father in law was advised by his GP not to get the vaccine. He is diabetic and overweigh and had 2 heart attacks and a quad bypass 15 years ago. Surely someone this ill should get the vaccine because Covid would kill him?
Not in a position to answer you. Our case is based directly on the violent allergic reaction to vaccines.

Gamer

Expert Member
Contraindicatons appear to be all allergy related? Possibly a 2nd opinion from a trusted doctor.

Suspect99

Executive Member
My grandparents got their second shot yesterday, and my parents their first shots last week (pfiser). No side effects.

My younger brother got the J&J one and he had side effects( night chills and a headache for 2 nights)

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Sister, mom (99 years old), ex-brother in law going tomorrow 11:30.

Here is me and wife looking on with some trepidation and wondering if we should defy our doctor's rec.
Follow up:

Familie arrived at Cape Gate at 10:42.
Names ticked off on an appointment list.
Given numbers and seated in order with SD rules in place. (123/4/5)

11:13: gone through
11:21 in jab room
11: 43 all over and in the waiting area.
Had to sit longer because my sister also has a penicillin allergy and had encephalitis as a child. Under observation for 30 minutes plus temperature and BP monitoring.
12:15 released off home!

Compare the 5-hour marathon session experienced up here :mad:

Gamer

Expert Member
We were very fortunate with the time frame. Our pharmacy started doing medical aid members from 1 July. We spoke to our pharmacist who put us on a waiting list in case people with appointments didn't pitch up. If they get to the of the day with left over vaccine, they have to discard them!
So we got a call at 15h50 on Tuesday to say they had 3 no shows, come now. My SMS from gov with proof of vaccination code was received at 16h06. Home after 15 minute observation.

Jetty

We were very fortunate with the time frame. Our pharmacy started doing medical aid members from 1 July. We spoke to our pharmacist who put us on a waiting list in case people with appointments didn't pitch up. If they get to the of the day with left over vaccine, they have to discard them!
So we got a call at 15h50 on Tuesday to say they had 3 no shows, come now. My SMS from gov with proof of vaccination code was received at 16h06. Home after 15 minute observation.
Awesome to hear.

Are you under 50 ?

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Got my first Pfizer jab at Milpark Hospital. Quick and painless. No side effects.

Gamer

Expert Member
Awesome to hear.

Are you under 50 ?
Yes, I'm 46, wife is 41.
It was only possible because we were registered in the EVDS system already since February when registration first opened, before they changed it to only accept certain age groups. If we were not registered on the system, it would not have been possible.

Last edited:

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
oh wow. Never ever got flu shot . Ditto for my wife. Does everybody take flu shot annually here?
Never. Once and once only. Put me down for weeks. Only just managed to stay out of hospital.

Ianf1

Expert Member
Got the second jab at Milpark today. No hassles with medical aid this time only queues waiting for the jab about 30 minutes.

bokka1

Expert Member
oh wow. Never ever got flu shot . Ditto for my wife. Does everybody take flu shot annually here?
I get it annually without any side effects and no flu.

I have had my first Pfizer two weeks ago, zero side effects.

My wife have had both her shots, she felt a bit tired after the second one but nothing serious.

My Mom of 78 got both her shots and had zero side effects.

Skankhunt

Expert Member
I got a jab from the Dept of Health but that was by dumb luck on Friday evening. It was 6pm and they had 2 leftover shots that would otherwise have to be destroyed and got a call from someone who work there to come take a shot. And I'm far from qualifying.

The next day my arm hurt a bit and I felt a little like I have a hangover, but the day after I was fine.

I do have to make a special appointment for my second shot cause I'm not officially on the system.

Last edited:

surface

Honorary Master
Never have, never will.
Same here. I didn't see the purpose of it tbh. If I had a serious flu, I would probably have considered it but apart from some occasional sniffles, I don't see what is the big deal with seasonal flu. Yet.

I intend to take covid jab though.