Have you come across this payment fraud (Nedbank EFT)?

lived666

Executive Member
Ok, I have come across nearly all fraud attempts, but this was a new one for me.

So you receive a payment POP from Nedbank say to your Standard account and don't look too diligently at the POP (yeah, yeah), but go to Nedbank and input the payment ref and account and amount, verify the payment and it verifies as done, so all looks kosher on Nedbank, ticks all the boxes, Nedbank (online) confirm the payment.

But you don't part with the goods because things are what they are, so you wait 2 then 3 days and the money still hasn't reflected, so you hmmm, and go back and recheck the POP and then notice that instead of Standard they have sent the funds to a different bank.

So basically the payment gets automatically reversed back into the senders' account, sneaky c$#ts.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Ok, I have come across nearly all fraud attempts, but this was a new one for me.

So you receive a payment POP from Nedbank say to your Standard account and don't look too diligently at the POP (yeah, yeah), but go to Nedbank and input the payment ref and account and amount, verify the payment and it verifies as done, so all looks kosher on Nedbank, ticks all the boxes, Nedbank (online) confirm the payment.

But you don't part with the goods because things are what they are, so you wait 2 then 3 days and the money still hasn't reflected, so you hmmm, and go back and recheck the POP and then notice that instead of Standard they have sent the funds to a different bank.

So basically the payment gets automatically reversed back into the senders' account, sneaky c$#ts.
TBH, I don't even trust POP. I want to see POP from MY bank when it actually hits and clears the account.

lived666

Executive Member
TBH, I don't even trust POP. I want to see POP from MY bank when it actually hits and clears the account.
Indeed, I have often had fake POP, but this was a new one because its a way to bypass the verification on Nedbank.

JayM

Expert Member
Indeed, I have often had fake POP, but this was a new one because its a way to bypass the verification on Nedbank.
You should let them know. Via social media usually gets the quickest response.