Have you ever been subscribed to an MTN WASP services without your permission?

Have you ever been subscribed to an MTN WASP services without your permission?

• Yes

Votes: 14 70.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 30.0%

• Total voters

rpm

Admin
Staff member
We are receiving many complaints from MTN subscribers that they are subscribed to MTN Play WASP services without their permission, and that their airtime disappears because of these subscriptions.

We are investigating this issue, and your feedback regarding this issue will be great.

If you have been a victim of this, please vote in the poll and give a short description of what happened in this thread.

BrokenRSA

In July I got a SMS that I successfully subscribed to PockitTVPremium service at R2.02 a day. I never clicked or opted in for anything. I unsubscribed immediately, but if I wasn't watching my phone, I would've probably not known about it for a while.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
No. Have had this phone nr for at least 6 years, first contract for 4 years then prepaid. Only calls and texts, never used if for browsing of any kind.

HowTo

Expert Member
I have received of late.
REMINDER Yéllo Your subscription to to Gravelroad at R2.02/day wil be renewed...................

I did ignore this message and never followed up to see if this happens.
I did follow the MyBB MTN warning about this scam. I never subscribed to any service what so ever.

Yes, happened to me in June and July on two different numbers. On the one number I got the shock at the end of the month on my bill. On the other I managed to cancel within a few days, so only lost about R5. Mtn cancelled the subscriptions, but refuses to refund me. One of the subscriptions was an Mtn play subscription - so guess who benefits... I did not use my phones when I supposedly subscribed, and obviously did not receive double opt in confirmations either, so it was clearly fraudulent.

Yes, happened to me in June and July on two different numbers. On the one number I got the shock at the end of the month on my bill. On the other I managed to cancel within a few days, so only lost about R5. Mtn cancelled the subscriptions, but refuses to refund me. One of the subscriptions was an Mtn play subscription - so guess who benefits... I did not use my phones when I supposedly subscribed, and obviously did not receive double opt in confirmations either, so it was clearly fraudulent.
I also contacted them for a refund over the weekend - the article in MyBroadband cited that a Mrs. O'sullivan claimed they are willing to refund customers. The call center did not know what I was talking about and put me through to their head office, who in turned passed me back to the call center. The agent I spoke to lodged a query and said I should receive feedback within 72 hours. I still haven't heard a thing. So I guess this 'refund' is a figment of someone's imagination. Terrible from Mtn.

Decypha

This is the exact reason I left MTN a few years ago. I thought they would have fixed their WASP issues by now.

I lost out on R20 a day a few times and had to call the WASPs myself to cancel the subscriptions as MTN could/would only give me their numbers.

marioat1

This is the exact reason I left MTN a few years ago. I thought they would have fixed their WASP issues by now.

I lost out on R20 a day a few times and had to call the WASPs myself to cancel the subscriptions as MTN could/would only give me their numbers.
Those late night etv ads caught many little out

The_David

Yes and its super awesome that we get to pay for cell provider corruption/incompetence.

Have been subscribed to Candypop at R3,03 a day for about a month it would seem. I noticed it this month on my bill (content charge) when queried with MTN they said it was a subscription to a wasp and refereed me to log a complaint with WASPA. I logged a complaint and they responded (very quickly) that Candypop was not a WASP service I must take it up with MTN. I then reported back to MTN and then MTN sent a complaint to WASPA cc me in. I have no idea where I am now. Just went through as many of the unsubscribe USSD codes as I could find. I guess I will find out where I'm at come billing time. Then probably have to port out of MTN if still being charged.

I am convinced that there is some internal collusion or corrupt staff member secretly signing people up for these services and taking kickbacks.

Last edited:

isie

Executive Member
Yes
but was many years ago before they had the way to check if you are subscribed , managed to get my money back though
MTN was of no help - WASPA complaint did help they got me in contact with the actual WASP who provided me with records of when i was supposedly subscribed and what phone model etc - since i never owned that particular phone they refunded me

Ghoster79

Not on MTN, but got the opt in / out sms this morning from "todosgamer" for a subscription that I know nothing about - opted out obviously. After a quick google search, found something about a "e-sport" platform, mostly in what looks like Spanish. Going to keep the response acknowledging my opt out, just in case.

airborne

Executive Member
I there any way you can subscribe to this junk without any out-in, I've seen pop-ups on websites that want you to subscribe to a wasp service, you just need to put your cell number in. If a cellphone number was entered on those kinds of pop-ups would they subscribe you with no subsequent opt-in?

I'm assuming from the kinds of threads we see on the forum that some unethical WASP's will subscribe you with no opt-in confirmation. I wouldn't be surprised if those wasps don't have teams trolling places like Gumtree and social media looking for cell numbers to use to covertly subscribe to their products, they may even legitimately be entering the numbers into pop-ups so they have some degree of plausible deniability but no opt-in confirmation.

Becuase from what I understand is there is very little negative legal or financial consequences when WASPS behave unethically or in other words steal peoples money, they just get slapped on the wrist or a small fine. Even if they get barred I'm sure it's easy enough for them to just rebrand the service and become a "legitimate" WASP a week or 2 later?