Have you ever been to a political rally?

biometrics

Honorary Master
I've never been and never will.

But I really don't understand why people go?

Have you been and why?

chrisc

Executive Member
Yes, in the 1980's. My neighbour was a National Party organiser and there was a rally in Parow. All the braai you could eat and free beers. There was someone speaking Afrikaans but I understand one word in 10

In 1997 I went to a talk given by Tony Blair with my English cousin. When we left we realised he had spoken for 45 mins but had actually not said anything memorable.

LaraC

Honorary Master
No, I'm convinced that anything related to politics are smokescreens filled with empty promises and reassurances. :(

cerebus

Honorary Master
When I was around 13 David Duke was holding a rally in our town in Texas and my mother went along as part of her course of studies, so I joined her. It was a bizarre experience. Most of his points went something like: "People ask me if I'm still a Grand Wizard of the KKK. My answer is, no. But did you know that 2 out of 3 black children are born out of wedlock?"

saor

Honorary Master

^^^ Has always baffled me why anyone gives enough of a crap about some politician that they'd spend their day cheering and hollering for this person. It's ****ing weird dude.

Chris_the_Brit

High Tory
No.

Don't really see the point to be honest.

Many if a funny and charismatic politician came along I might be interested.

biometrics

Honorary Master
When I was around 13 David Duke was holding a rally in our town in Texas and my mother went along as part of her course of studies, so I joined her. It was a bizarre experience. Most of his points went something like: "People ask me if I'm still a Grand Wizard of the KKK. My answer is, no. But did you know that 2 out of 3 black children are born out of wedlock?"
Oh, so you are from the US. Are you related to @bwana ? ;)

mfumbesi

Expert Member
Yes in the 80s, mostly forced though. Some idiot and his buddies, would come and force you to go and listen to some big man idiot.
The last (and first one I attended voluntarily) was at FNB when Nelson Mandela was released in 1990.

Cray

Honorary Master
Eish, nope and in this day of media really don't see the point, unless they started handing out free TV's for attending.

Matt91

View attachment 765772

^^^ Has always baffled me why anyone gives enough of a crap about some politician that they'd spend their day cheering and hollering for this person. It's ****ing weird dude.
Probably half the reason SA is such a dirty, defunct poophole of a country. I've never been to a rally and doubt I ever will attend anything like that in SA because we have nobody or no party to believe in.

doubletrouble

Expert Member
Yip. went to a DA one (Belville Velodrome) and ANC one (Khayalitsha) a few years back with the wife. Was for research purpose when she was at university. The vibe at both was actually quite nice