Staff member
Super Moderator
Have you ever fallen victim to a scam?

- there was a time when I believed taxes are used to benefit taxpayers
- also believed Iraq had WMDs
- oh and I lost a big sum of money in a ponzi called Celsius

so yeah, multiple times actually

Gave R10 to a grifter at a garage once.

Also, bought an Alienware laptop when I was young and dumb.

Nothing major, but whenever I shop, fill up with petrol etc.

Actually, I got "scammed" the other day. I felt really really really stupid.

This elderly lady was coming down the street and the signaled for me to stop. Keep in mind that I stay in a retirement town with lots of good hearted elderly people. Also I believe in caring and respecting the elderly. I asked her what is wrong. She asked if I can please take her to the hospital. So I said no problem as it is just down the road. Switched on my phone recorder as I don't give woman or children a lift without evidence of the whole trip ... then once in the car her story changed quickly. Something about running out of petrol, needed money to get home... Yas, I was angry. Told the stinking woman to get out and get lost. I was very tempted to drop her at the police station.

This is why people don't help others anymore. It is sad when you feel stupid for assisting an elderly person.

Yes.
A few Crypto scams
Virgin active gym membership - had to pay a lump sum to get out of it
Siemens coffee machine - manufacturing defect
Microwave hot water bottle - just stinks and didn't work
Android box for the TV - not certified for anything
Remington Durablade - doesn't shave nearly as close or fast as the Philips Oneblade
Oral B Vitality toothbrush - you have to keep it on the charger and the heads don't last long
There's probably zillions other I'm missing

Being scammed is unfortunately part of life. Lowlifes are fcking everywhere around every corner. So basically learning all the time to avoid them.

Gave R10 to a grifter at a garage once.

Also, bought an Alienware laptop when I was young and dumb.
I gave R5 to a grifter at a cafe in the early 2000s, still think about it. School fees.

• Sad
Reactions: 3WA
Back