Have you ever had your smartphone stolen?

Have you ever had your smartphone stolen?

• Yes

Votes: 50 56.2%
  • No

Votes: 39 43.8%

• Total voters

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
Has your smartphone ever been stolen? What measures did you take to secure the device following the theft?

Sweevo

Honorary Master
I've lost one and had one succumb to drowning while chasing a cobra. But never stolen lol.

Cr419

Executive Member
Brand new phone, just over a month old, stolen off my desk at work just over 2 years ago.

jouda

Expert Member
A friendly man asked me for mine in peak hour traffic one morning. He was so convincing with his gun and all... I just couldn't say no. :crying:

konfab

Honorary Master
I had one stolen from next to my bed when I was asleep. (Skellembosch ftw).

I phoned Capitec to cancel the banking app.
Then I got CellC to blacklist the number.
Then I changed all my passwords.

Jola

Honorary Master
Ripped out of my hands in a Fishaways while waiting for order. Centurion.

Now sit in the corner with my back to a wall, while waiting for fast food.

Phone now encrypted and locks within seconds, a real PITA but what can you do ?

Edit : Lots of video of the incident, but it does not really help.

Last edited:

Corelli

Mine got swiped at the mall

Mine got swiped at the mall. Syndicate and when I asked for CCTV it took two hours. By then Criminals were long gone only to find out most Canalwalk cameras are for show. Anyway marched to MTN and asked to block and the agent laughed at me saying their system is offline. Nothing they can do. The criminal made 1k of calls. MTN blocked it next day only and immediately ran the debit order for the calls. Thats when i terminated my contract early and never went back to them. Even my worked offered me an MTN phone and I refused.

Sweevo

Honorary Master
Mine got swiped at the mall. Syndicate and when I asked for CCTV it took two hours. By then Criminals were long gone only to find out most Canalwalk cameras are for show. Anyway marched to MTN and asked to block and the agent laughed at me saying their system is offline. Nothing they can do. The criminal made 1k of calls. MTN blocked it next day only and immediately ran the debit order for the calls. Thats when i terminated my contract early and never went back to them. Even my worked offered me an MTN phone and I refused.
Glad I'm not the only one to have that kind of MTN experience. No need to care.

jouda

Expert Member
MTN deactivated my sim and gave me a new one within minutes of me entering the store.... Sadly the new sim took ages to become "active". I phoned them and they told me the old sim was "re-activated". How TF do you re-activate a stolen sim???

epah

No. I keep my stuff safe. Only the careless get their stuff stolen.

I don’t even know why I am paying for insurance on this phone

neilronaldson

logged onto find my iphone immediately and put it in lost mode. 3 weeks later got an email about its location - somewhere in bruma....so ya dodgy dealings there

sand_man

Honorary Master
Yes, I iPhone 5 which I loved very, very much, out of my shirt pocket at the FNB stadium at a rugby match. We were a party of around 20 and pickpockets caught 4 of us.