Have you ever had your smartphone stolen?

Have you ever had your smartphone stolen?

• Yes

Votes: 77 54.2%
  • No

Votes: 65 45.8%

• Total voters

chrisc

Executive Member
Mine (new iPhone SE) got swiped in CellC Kenilworth Centre. Gent behind the counter who I assumed worked there, took the phone to the back to get the tool to open the SIM tray, that was the last I saw
Shop was very busy on a month-end Thursday.
I stood there like a twit for 15 mins before asking the lady what was going on. They only have one male tech working there and he does not attend to customers
CCTV does not cover the door to the back, only the displays on either side

I subsequently learned from the Claremont SAPS that this identical theft operation has happened there before, several times. CellC denied it (naturally, their staff are as pure as a mountain stream). I had to report the theft to make a claim

Last edited:

Cr419

Executive Member
Mine (new iPhone SE) got swiped in CellC Kenilworth Centre. Gent behind the counter who I assumed worked there, took the phone to the back to get the tool to open the SIM tray, that was the last I saw
Shop was very busy on a month-end Thursday.
I stood there like a twit for 15 mins before asking the lady what was going on. They only have one male tech working there and he does not attend to customers
CCTV does not cover the door to the back, only the displays on either side
That's messed up. But Kenilworth centre looks really dodgy and dirty so it wouldn't surprise me.

chrisc

Executive Member
Its been cleaned up quite a bit. However, this was 2 years ago and it was full of contractors

The CellC shop is just inside the upper entrance

Cr419

Executive Member
Its been cleaned up quite a bit. However, this was 2 years ago and it was full of contractors

The CellC shop is just inside the upper entrance
I was there on Saturday, and if thats cleaned up I don't even want to know what it looked like before.

3WA

Expert Member
Never had a smartphone stolen.

I was late to the smartphone scene. While everyone else was rocking the Samsung S2, I had a horrible dumbphone. When I got mugged, I handed it over to the mugger. He looked at me as if I was an idiot, gave it back, and asked for money instead.

phly

I am lucky/blessed to have never been mugged or robbed or had phone stolen. I would scream blue murder and smite everything in site should I loose my precious iPhone SE. Having said that, a younger sibling got her tablet stolen. It was only a month old. More expensive than her phone. She still cries about it. Find my phone didnt do much help either as it was not properly set up to begin with and the nyaope boys that nabbed it threw the sim away.

irBosOtter

Expert Member
Twice, never did anything about it as back then is was useless to report a stolen phone as nothing was done about it

Solarion

Honorary Master
Yes once. I created an effigy of the thief, stuck several nails through it and burned it with fire.

Not really, but I know who stole it just could never prove it.