Have you ever sold a smartphone on Gumtree or OLX?

Have you ever sold a smartphone on Gumtree or OLX?

• Yes

Votes: 17 45.9%
  • No

Votes: 20 54.1%

• Total voters

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
Have you ever sold an old smartphone through a classifieds website like Gumtree or OLX?

eg2505

Honorary Master
brought my current phone on MYBB, still going strong with it,

and brought a broken s4 mini from sellmygalaxy.co.za to fix with another s4 mini

so, as with anything caveat empor and buyer beware ect....

Nemus

Expert Member
Yes. Mostly smooth.
I had 1 scenario where the guy "deposited" the money, sent an uber to collect and I received an SMS from my bank.
When I checked my account online, it showed the money deposited, but not available. It was never going to be available, as they deposited a cheque at an atm in potch, which would have bounced.

Luckily i dodged that one. The uber driver was not aware of the scam, he simply got a fare and accepted it.

GTDae

Several attempts to sell, no successful sales several scammers tried their luck.

The Voice

Executive Member
Sold my iPhone 4 years ago on Gumtree. Got a reasonably good price, and cash in hand. Met in Bruma, but not going lie, I was seriously nervous, and was looking over my shoulder most of the time.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Yes. Sold and bought phones and much more on Gumtree, OLX, myBB classifieds and BoB.

Ady

Expert Member
Ive sold a few smart phones on gumtree. It couldn't be easier

SA-UK

Banned
bought - a spanking new boxed P10 cash from someone on Gumtree whose gf had already bought him a phone - grabbed the chance to nab it for 5k

sold my HTC one M8 last year on Gumtree

redarrow

Expert Member
Listed a phone on Gumtree once, won't do it again. Was constantly messaged by people with all kinds of silly offers but none that ever materialised into anything. Ended up just selling it on Bidorbuy which is a lot less hassle.

f2wohf

Honorary Master
Can't remember selling a smartphone, I keep them, give them or break them.