Have you successfully renewed your driving license?

Have you successfully renewed your expired driving license?

• Yes

Votes: 111 42.4%
  • No

Votes: 53 20.2%
  • Not expired

Votes: 88 33.6%
  • Other

Votes: 10 3.8%

• Total voters

deweyzeph

Executive Member
So it's due for renewal soon?

Five years is a bit of a money grab from them. My UK one is valid for ten (and can be renewed online and delivered within three days (by a functioning post office)).

What I love about the UK drivers licence is that it has your address printed on it and can be used as proof of address. The downside is that every time you change addresses you have to get a new card, but their card renewal process is so easy, as you point out, that it's hardly an inconvenience at all.

• Love
Reactions: Yuu

"D"

Expert Member
What will happen if you don't do it before the deadline?
You'll have to approach the situation in exactly the same manner as when a TV licence inspector confronts you:
Kill, kill, kill! Before you get written up.

However, if you don't have the stomach for that, take heart - there are some sneaky and slightly more legal ways to deal with it:

+

Last edited:

irBosOtter

Expert Member
You'll have to approach the situation in exactly the same manner as when a TV licence inspector confronts you:
Kill, kill, kill! Before you get written up.

However, if you don't have the stomach for that, take heart - there are some sneaky and slightly more legal ways to deal with it:

[/URL]

Haha yes I know it's just the card that expires and not the license itself, guess they will start giving fines again if you drive with a expired card. Went through a roadblock a month ago and they did not give me a fine for it

maxxis

Expert Member
Yes. Did it in Bedfordview in June and it was in and out in 2 hours max.
Then collected beginning August. In and out in 30 minutes.

Planning ahead and not waiting for the deadline to crawl up my ass made all the difference.

donal

Renewed yesterday (Sunday) after 5 hours queueing at the Somerset West office. That's 5 hours free for considering the basic online system design that should replace that mind-numbing process (contact me at 0800-tendaz).
They said one of their 2 eye test machines had been stolen in a break-in, so there was just the one machine (regardless of whether you had done your test at an optometrist, which I had). They took on average about 45 minutes per person, although this was interspersed with some general fannying about, then somebody headed out and came back with several large bags of KFC. After that it slowed down more, and they implemented an informal 'cut-off', which meant that people who started queuing after 9:30 were told to go home or to Gordons Bay.

Altogether, nice enough staff and very courteous (especially with bringing some older people to the front) but the whole system is blindingly inefficient. No wonder there's backlogs.

KikzAzz

Expert Member
My son's is due for renewal. Ultimately paid R250 for a appointment. Drove 70km to the testing center paid the toll fees on the way there and back. The systems were off!!!!

duckgray

Did mine in December last year in Bronkhorstspruit as that was the only available slot that I could find.

The renewal process was quick and easy. Was in and out of there within 20 minutes. The collection process needs a lot of work. No notification to say that your license is ready for collection, so you have to pitch up there and hope that it is ready. Then you give in your receipt and just wait till they feel like coming outside with everyone's cards.

JohnStarr

Executive Member
Had to do mine in rural Eastern Cape as the only date I could get was late September...wonderful system they run here.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
Ha ha at least. That’s what I thought as well while waiting there.
Theres talk about changing it from every 5 years to every 7 to 10 years to ease the traffic in the departments for people renewing.
This will however mean less customers and less revenue

I would gladly pay double the current price and it is valid for 10 years. Hell make it triple and I will still be happy

• Haha
Reactions: "D"

James 77

Theres talk about changing it from every 5 years to every 7 to 10 years to ease the traffic in the departments for people renewing.
This will however mean less customers and less revenue

I would gladly pay double the current price and it is valid for 10 years. Hell make it triple and I will still be happy
I fully agree with you. I’d pay double as well if it was valid for 10 years. Anything to cut out the unnecessary and tedious process.

eg2505

Honorary Master
expires next year, going to be a fun experience renewing it.

Ecko_1

Mine expired June 2020. Went to Verulem to renew 18 Augusut 2021. Had a booking so was in and out in 10 minutes. Will collect in 6 weeks.

The Voice

Honorary Master
Surrendered mine for a UK licence. NEVER have to renew it ever again. :D

And thank **** for that. Bedfordview licensing department was as useless as they come.