Have you successfully renewed your driving license?

Have you successfully renewed your expired driving license?

• Yes

Votes: 111 42.4%
  • No

Votes: 53 20.2%
  • Not expired

Votes: 88 33.6%
  • Other

Votes: 10 3.8%

• Total voters

Lupus

Honorary Master
Apparently people seem to still think it's illegal to drive with an expired license card, making them resort to some pretty stupid things sigh.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Renewed yesterday (Sunday) after 5 hours queueing at the Somerset West office. That's 5 hours free for considering the basic online system design that should replace that mind-numbing process (contact me at 0800-tendaz).
They said one of their 2 eye test machines had been stolen in a break-in, so there was just the one machine (regardless of whether you had done your test at an optometrist, which I had). They took on average about 45 minutes per person, although this was interspersed with some general fannying about, then somebody headed out and came back with several large bags of KFC. After that it slowed down more, and they implemented an informal 'cut-off', which meant that people who started queuing after 9:30 were told to go home or to Gordons Bay.

Altogether, nice enough staff and very courteous (especially with bringing some older people to the front) but the whole system is blindingly inefficient. No wonder there's backlogs.
They have an online system, just hustlers have gotten on to it now and book all the slots.
I did mine last year with the online system and I was done and dusted in 30 minutes.

donal

They have an online system, just hustlers have gotten on to it now and book all the slots.
I did mine last year with the online system and I was done and dusted in 30 minutes.
Not available in the Western Cape.. yet. And if reports are to be believed about the current hustlers it's practically impossible to book a slot now.

Stuey74

Managed to book a slot today when they released some at 16:00. At my closest DLTC as well. Tuesday 31st August @ 08:00. Only 6 slots opened up.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Perhaps his home life sucks, you know?
My wife needs the license and there's no way she's going to drive there on her own. So between school and other obligations there's not enough time to risk it.

She's got an appointment for November so she just needs to be careful.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
With the 31 August deadline fast approaching to renew drivers licenses expired during lockdown, have you successfully managed to renew yours?
Yes with hours and hours of queuing on three different Wednesdays on days designated for pensioners after failing to get an appointment of almost 3 months of trying.

The system is BROKEN non-existent a mess

"D"

Expert Member
Surrendered mine for a UK licence. NEVER have to renew it ever again. :D

And thank **** for that. Bedfordview licensing department was as useless as they come.
If you're ever repatriated, you might have to swap it back (12 months after repatriation) for insurance purposes, to comply with legislature.
But, then again, there may be some loopholes - or many.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
If you're ever repatriated, you might have to swap it back (12 months after repatriation) for insurance purposes, to comply with legislature.
But, then again, there may be some loopholes - or many.
I've been driving here for 20+ years on a UK license. None of my insurance companies has never repudiated a claim.

"D"

Expert Member
I've been driving here for 20+ years on a UK license. None of my insurance companies has never repudiated a claim.
How awesome is that! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
My wife needs the license and there's no way she's going to drive there on her own. So between school and other obligations there's not enough time to risk it.
My comment was in reference to the hypothetical home life of @Smugs but it sounds like yours is slightly worse. ;)

BigBear

Expert Member
Renewed yes but no card as yet..

f9a440378489fabc18d210183bed56b9.jpg

Decided if no status change will just go before temporary license expires, not gonna drive up and down to DLTC.. Been saying that since renewal was "processed" on 2021/04/12..

unobeat

Mine expired May 2020, booked an appointment once locked was moved from level 5 last year but had to cancel due to family commitments, been struggling to get a booking and realized that i will need to book 60-100km away from where i stay in order to renew.