Have you successfully renewed your driving license?

Have you successfully renewed your expired driving license?

• Yes

Votes: 111 42.4%
  • No

Votes: 53 20.2%
  • Not expired

Votes: 88 33.6%
  • Other

Votes: 10 3.8%

• Total voters

hylton99

Took around 5 hours on Saturday at the Milnerton department. The one eye test machine they told us is problematic. While waiting for an eye test in the 2nd queue (armed with the certificate) I noticed one operator was "helping" 3 people for every 1 from the 2nd operator. Machine 2 must thus be the one experiencing the problems, right? WRONG!
The staff however was generally friendly and helpful.

LetsDance

Expert Member
Waiting to know if your card is ready for collection is another story - the lic department I went to had no contact numbers and the Natis system just said my card is being processed. So I drove three times to the lic dept just to check if it was ready for collection, feeling like a hunted criminal because my card had since expired :eek:

• Haha
Reactions: "D"

maumau

Honorary Master
Apparently people seem to still think it's illegal to drive with an expired license card, making them resort to some pretty stupid things sigh.

Thing is, how does your insurance work?

Lupus

Honorary Master
Thing is, how does your insurance work?
Technically it shouldn't be affected, as your license never expires, insurances would be sneaky if they counted an expired card as a reason for rejection and you could take them to the ombudsman. As an insured, your license needs to be valid, your car needs to be licensed and roadworthy.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Sad that it is the year 2021, the age of technology, but reading this makes one realise that we are pretty much still in ancient Africa. Even then I am sure service levels were much better.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Sad that it is the year 2021, the age of technology, but reading this makes one realise that we are pretty much still in ancient Africa. Even then I am sure service levels were much better.
They did have it working, but the leeches latched on and started draining it.

1nutty1

Expired yesterday, have been trying for a couple of weeks to get a slot, no luck yet
The slots open at 12 and 4pm promptly, they are all gone in less than 10 min so if you get in go the the last days as they go last.

1nutty1

Currently in the process, have my booking now just need to go and sit in the darn queues...

alloytoo

Honorary Master
With the 31 August deadline fast approaching to renew drivers licenses expired during lockdown, have you successfully managed to renew yours?
My driver's license is valid until 2029.

ProvoZA

I tried, but a speeding fine was tagged against my name, so the renewal was denied. The problem is that my car was hijacked (6 years ago) and the date on the fine was after the hijack. I tried to contact SAPS to get the case number but their phones don't work. I emailed and the email was returned with "mailbox full". I tried emailing the "helpline", but that was also returned. I have tried every which way to get this sorted out, but to no avail. Phoning aarto is a waste of time. So, I have paid the fine (R620.00) and will be going to the licensing department tomorrow to finalise the renewal. But, as you can imagine, I am not very happy about this.
Hopefully I won't have to stand in a queue as the eye tests and all the other paraphenlia was done, I was just not permitted to pay at the cashier.
(If you live in the Western Cape, go to Gordons Bay. No bookings, short queues - well it was 3 weeks ago...)
I had to go in that direction and they say that my eye test has to be redone, apparently my eye test is too old - 4 weeks too old. Done 4 weeks ago. I am getting close to ignoring any stops by police, so if you see a police chase on your news, it may just be me.....

Last edited:

ThinkCentre

Expert Member
I renew mine before it expired a few months later. Had to wait a bit for the card but no real issues.

Donojac

Yes, I was in and out at my traffic department in less than 30 mins no appointment needed. Received a temporary licence instantly and an SMS to collect the license in a few weeks.

comanche

Renewed mine in due time, but still waiting for the delivery of the actual license card at the licensing department.
Had this at Midrand. They sat on if for 6 months. I went in after 3, and a useless person behind the desk did a half-hearted search through the cards, and then told me to bugger off and wait for the SMS.
After 6, I went back in desperation, and got a much nicer person, who actually did a proper search, in more than 1 box, and found it, likely delivered within the 6 weeks promised.

That 1st person really was a cow.

My wife got her's renewed in Roodepoort, and it went through without any issue, once she got a booking date.

Genesistt

Renewed mine in October 2020. Took 5 hours of standing in the cold and rain to just get into the building and another 2 hours of sitting in there waiting for someone... anyone!!!... to actually test us and get the queue moving. Most frustrating day of my life! But I collected my new license a month later and now I'm good for the next 5 years.