Have you used or currently use an Induction Cooker??

Best thing since sliced bread personally...

Up to 50% more efficient and cheaper than traditional cooking methods, faster, much easier to clean,simple to use, safer - just a few major advantages off the top of my head.

I'm using a 1300W Sunbeam and just bought a 1600W Salton for my elderly mother instead of those horrific hotplates.

Attachments

Last edited:

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Used one, hated it as it overheats pretty quick. It's fine if you are making something quick, if you're cooking for a little bit longer it doesn't work out.
Of course the one I used was a bit older/cheaper probably, it wasn't mine.

True they do heat extremely fast, but the 2 I listed have slow,pulsed heating settings...hot pot,slow cook setting for example, perfect for stews,etc Also the power and temp are adjustable.

Takes a bit of getting used to yes, but for me the safety benefits,timer, cut off switch and ease of cleaning, their weight and size are all major advantages.

ITCynic

Expert Member
I use mine all the time. Just be careful of the type of cookware you use on them.

Be sure to use cookware designed for induction cookers.

Although you can supposedly use cookware that a magnet sticks to (ie cast iron or iron cookware) I dont recomend it.
I used an iron mini wok and it marked the plastic surface of the induction cooker slightly and burned off the anti-stick coating.

Now I stick to induction cooker rated cookware.

ITCynic

Expert Member
When researching them online before buying one I came across an article that reported that some restaurants are now using them in their kitchens now instead of gas, apparently keeps the kitchens cooler and saves on overheads.

Probably commercial versions of the home units.

I use mine all the time. Just be careful of the type of cookware you use on them.

Be sure to use cookware designed for induction cookers.

Although you can supposedly use cookware that a magnet sticks to (ie cast iron or iron cookware) I dont recomend it.
I used an iron mini wok and it marked the plastic surface of the induction cooker slightly and burned off the anti-stick coating.

Now I stick to induction cooker rated cookware.

extra noted, I have read as such,thanks

When researching them online before buying one I came across an article that reported that some restaurants are now using them in their kitchens now instead of gas, apparently keeps the kitchens cooler and saves on overheads.

Probably commercial versions of the home units.
makes as much business sense as anything else!

APoc184

Honorary Master
Been using for the past 4 years.

Love it and can't see myself ever going back.

Did take some time getting used to the settings, especially for slow cooking and simmering.

chrisc

Executive Member
Yes, my Miele ceramic hob has 2 induction plates and 2 gas plates side by side. More efficient, had it for about 8 years and use the gas only for cooking things like soup, since the gas is more adjustable

I had a amp-meter attached to the device and found, for instance, 1.5 litres of water would boil in 90 seconds, using 2200 watts, whereas a kettle did the same but used 3000 watts. It is quite important to use the correct type of cookware. I was given some French cookware which has a cobalt component and this works better, but is very expensive

The first hob became faulty in about 9 months in that it would switch itself off, or just not turn on. It was a battle to get it swapped, all kinds of excuses, In the end it turned out to be a faulty sensor. The person at Hirsch did not know what he was doing, did not return calls and demanded the unit be removed and returned, even though the guarantee stated "repairs and swaps done at customer premises. He reckoned this only applied in Germany.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Yeah used one for years. They're a bit of a tricky beast.

The main benefit is if you have a liquid and you want to ram a lot of energy into it in record time. Nothing else is comparable on that front (gas sorta). Main usage case for me was kettle substitute. i.e. If I need a mug of boiling water for tea, fill mug pour into small pot and 20 sec later it's boiling & exactly the right quantity.

It's pretty terrible for general cooking though since it doesn't do medium heat. Instead it alternates pulses off full power and no power. So anything that isn't liquid burns very fast. I guess this might be more bearable with thick base cookware, but personally I found it to be a major pain.

Got my parents one too (I grabbed 2x on R500 special) and they ended up using it for weekend get-aways mostly. (You never know what facilities are available so throwing this in the boot of car provides some certainty).

Overall I get far better utility (and waaay better power efficiency) out of my elec pressure cooker.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Received a single plate induction hob for Christmas and I have to admit I'm fairly impressed with it. It's a Midea - a brand I've never heard of.

Snyper564

Expert Member
Its one of the new brands takelot sells. Redid our kitchen last year installed an AEG induction hob and I will never ever go back to electric or gas. Its an absolute pleasure.