Have your say about new SABC TV licence fees for Netflix

jacg

Opportunistic and parasitic. They should convert to a paid service, like DSTV and Netflix. - i.e. level the playing field. Then those that want to watch SABC can pay for it. Most of are not interested in the rubbish provide and refuse pay for it.

Gemsbok

Those corrupt thieves at the sabc must go and start stealing back form those thieves who stolen all the money in the first place. Not 1 cent more for the sabc. I dont watch there crap programs on tv and they can stuff the radio stations as well.
Fire 75% of the management and they will have enough money.......

marbro

I would "have my say", if anyone could point me towards a case where "having your say" changed guavament's stance.

This is just to tick the boxes so they can say "we asked". And then do whatever the f*** they want.
They banned cigs this year because a few people said they didnt like it

Mampara

These incompetents don't provide any sports except local soccer which I don't support until they bring quota system in like cricket and rugby. SABC 1,2 and 3 caters for majority public that don't pay fokol because everything they want mahala. Go steal somewhere else you incompetent over bloated aholes

Swa

Honorary Master
I kinda feel like the "experts" who are all complaining about how "complicated" this is going to be are all being deliberately obtuse.

Here's how it's going to go. When you sign up for any of these services, you're going to have to supply a valid TV license. When you supply your number, the service will do an API call to the SABC to validate your license, and your status. If you don't have a license, or your license is not paid up, you will be directed to the SABC website and you will be denied the service until you are compliant. I guess they'd also have to check monthly if you're still compliant too. Fairly simply API all on the anniversary of your service billing. This will probably be the simplest option.

I don't think the intention here is to get the media companies to actually "collect" the fees. That would be monumentally stupid and inefficient. All they have to do is deny service to a non-compliant person, the same way you are actually simply not (supposed to be) able to buy a TV without a valid TV license.

I think pushing back on the proposed changes due to it's "complexity" will not get anyone very far. This strategy is weak-sauce and boohoo-mongering. The SABC strategy here is to get you to pay your license fee regardless of where you are intending to consume a media service. TV, PC, tablet or cell-phone. If this doesn't work out, then the next destination is likely the ISPs, who'll then have to validate whether you have a valid TV license before you can sign up for the service.

Step one: enter your number
Step two: check through the SABC API if it is valid and paid up
Step three: allow or deny service, depending on status

The only way to really fight this stupidity is to get the SABC to stay in their lane as a TELEVISION BROADCASTER and for them to make their service something that is worth the trouble to pay for. Frankly, I flatly refuse to pay for their bloated, unionised and incompetent workforce (wtf, 1400 managers and 500 workers??), the rampant corruption during the Hlaudi dynasty and the fact that they add absolutely no value to my life.
You realise that is even more complicated and probably unworkable? First what devices will require a tv license and how will you enforce it? Every time I buy a phone or computer component I have to provide a tv license? Who's license will be valid since a tv license covers a household? Then services, what will be covered and for whom? Vodacom prepaid? Will I need to activate it before using it? For how long will it be valid? What if you only need to send a whatsupp message? And this in a country with less than 10% internet penetration.

I'm sure you haven't looked at the bigger picture here let alone the fine details which is what the "experts" as you call them are pointing out. Their systems aren't working most of the time so retailers simply phone in to check. They won't be able to cope with the load and an API I also don't see as a feasible working possibility for the abundance of services available.

R13...

Honorary Master
Where does it say you'd need a license when you have Netflix or even DStv? I read the document, though vague it doesn't say anything other than that those services would have to be licensed.

dingaanone

Every single government owned and controlled company in South Africa has been raped and pillaged so excessively now, no sound business person would think or consider taking over any of the screwed up and destroyed institutions. I sometimes think the best thing to do with the SABC is to get the last people leaving the SABC buildings to strike a match and burn all of their sites down. They would be doing the tax payers a huge favor - Please note I am not in favor of and do not advocate violence or arson in anyway, things are just so bad with these institutions nothing will save them anymore the end of the road has arrived.

Reactions: Swa

Excalibur

Executive Member
It is the only way of saving our public broadcaster, it won't be a very high amount.

Swa

Honorary Master
Where does it say you'd need a license when you have Netflix or even DStv? I read the document, though vague it doesn't say anything other than that those services would have to be licensed.
The SABC moron in charge has made a proposal that Netflix and others collect license fees.

It is the only way of saving our public broadcaster, it won't be a very high amount.
I hope this is sarcasm because :popcorn:

Flytrap

Down the road from my house is a supermarket called Store S. It used to stock everything I needed and so I went their almost every day. They charged a small fee for parking which was not a problem since driving there was easier than walking and I could buy all my groceries in one place. Then they got a new manager. I think he was the owners uncle's wife's cousin. He decided to only the kind of stuff that he liked or that his friends said they liked. I couldn't find everything I needed and had to drive further and to more places to do my groceries. It got expensive. Since I could find less at Store S I started walking there to get my groceries as I didn't have to pay parking. I watched as Store S alienated it's customers through it's policies. As a result of this neglect, another competing store, Store D opened nearby as there was a demand. It stocked most of what I need. The parking was a bit more expensive but they also had a home delivery option for free. Store D also has a rewards program and it's staff are always smiling and friendly. Once again I could do all my shopping at store D. Now I hear Store S is petitioning the local authorities to force Store D to give them some of their parking money because they have lost so much business to Store D. WTF!

Flytrap

I kinda feel like the "experts" who are all complaining about how "complicated" this is going to be are all being deliberately obtuse.

Here's how it's going to go. When you sign up for any of these services, you're going to have to supply a valid TV license. When you supply your number, the service will do an API call to the SABC to validate your license, and your status. If you don't have a license, or your license is not paid up, you will be directed to the SABC website and you will be denied the service until you are compliant. I guess they'd also have to check monthly if you're still compliant too. Fairly simply API all on the anniversary of your service billing. This will probably be the simplest option.

I don't think the intention here is to get the media companies to actually "collect" the fees. That would be monumentally stupid and inefficient. All they have to do is deny service to a non-compliant person, the same way you are actually simply not (supposed to be) able to buy a TV without a valid TV license.

I think pushing back on the proposed changes due to it's "complexity" will not get anyone very far. This strategy is weak-sauce and boohoo-mongering. The SABC strategy here is to get you to pay your license fee regardless of where you are intending to consume a media service. TV, PC, tablet or cell-phone. If this doesn't work out, then the next destination is likely the ISPs, who'll then have to validate whether you have a valid TV license before you can sign up for the service.

Step one: enter your number
Step two: check through the SABC API if it is valid and paid up
Step three: allow or deny service, depending on status

The only way to really fight this stupidity is to get the SABC to stay in their lane as a TELEVISION BROADCASTER and for them to make their service something that is worth the trouble to pay for. Frankly, I flatly refuse to pay for their bloated, unionised and incompetent workforce (wtf, 1400 managers and 500 workers??), the rampant corruption during the Hlaudi dynasty and the fact that they add absolutely no value to my life.
Exactly!!

pinball wizard

Honorary Master

Here's how it's going to go. When you sign up for any of these services, you're going to have to supply a valid TV license.
Yes. I can see Netflix incorporating this shithole country's bullshit requirement into their subscription process. Are you an ANC cadre, or just a bit slow?

Reactions: Swa