Having SARS-CoV-2 once confers much greater immunity than a vaccine but no infection parties, please

dusi

I'd rather trust the opinion of a Harvard Epidemiologist not the media or government.

Last edited:

Conack

Expert Member
Stop vs reduce. Yes there is often a degree of selfishness when people just look at their own risk and ignore the vulnerable around them. If someone is genuinely scared of side effects, one can't fault that. But when people only base their choice on well my risk is 1 in 500 or better, if I get COVID, and I probably won't get COVID anyway, who cares. After all my arm could be a bit sore and why bother. No doubt this group correlates with anti mask attitudes too.
But does it really reduce the spread?
Looking at Israel, the spread is going very strong among the vaccinated.

Mirai

Expert Member

Unhappy438

Honorary Master
But does it really reduce the spread?
Looking at Israel, the spread is going very strong among the vaccinated.

Yes, the numbers coming out of the UK clearly show a reduction of spread for those who are vaccinated.

Mirai

Expert Member
If it stops infection, it stops spread. Stop is relative though and not an absolute STOP. That's why people are confused. They think that if you get a vaccine you are guaranteed not to get COVID, and if you do, well it failed.
That doesn't happen.

Forum Reader

Comparing apples vs oranges here. You can be vaccinated and then get infected. Or be unvaccinated and then get infected. Israel data shows that you're a lot more likely to land up in hospital if you're in the second group.

If infection provides decent immunity, both groups will get it. There will be less of the second group around though.

Mirai

Expert Member
Sorry what are you trying to say exactly?

He says that you can still acquire natural immunity after being vaccinated. But your chance of not going to hospital in the process is much better.

Kieppie

Expert Member
Comparing apples vs oranges here. You can be vaccinated and then get infected. Or be unvaccinated and then get infected. Israel data shows that you're a lot more likely to land up in hospital if you're in the second group.

If infection provides decent immunity, both groups will get it. There will be less of the second group around though.
Actually there are 3 groups. Vaccinated (could be on top of natural immunity), unvaccinated with natural immunity and just plain unvaccinated. The hospitalization numbers do not differentiate between the last two groups (as far as I've seen)

Mirai

Expert Member
Actually there are 3 groups. Vaccinated (could be on top of natural immunity), unvaccinated with natural immunity and just plain unvaccinated. The hospitalization numbers do not differentiate between the last two groups (as far as I've seen)

Regardless you can convert from being vaccinated without natural immunity to vaccinated with natural immunity by catching COVID-19 and have your immune system via the nasal mucosa have contact with complete Sars-CoV-2 particles as they start replicate in the lining of your airways before the adaptive immune system shuts that down.

Kieppie

Expert Member
Regardless you can convert from being vaccinated without natural immunity to vaccinated with natural immunity by catching COVID-19 and have your immune system via the nasal mucosa have contact with complete Sars-CoV-2 particles as they start replicate in the lining of your airways before the adaptive immune system shuts that down.
Yes I was just pointing out that you can't gauge the coverage by just taking vaccination status into account.
Those that require hospitalization falls predominantly into the last category.

Those with the naturally acquired immunity will have to follow the same timeline wrt booster shots.

Lupus

Honorary Master
He says that you can still acquire natural immunity after being vaccinated. But your chance of not going to hospital in the process is much better.
I'd take that chance, I'd rather be vaccinated and get it, then not.

Insint

Expert Member
A friend of mine is a doctor who got Covid last year AND got the J&J vaccine earlier this year. Well, she just had Covid again and passed it on to another couple I know, one of who is vaccinated. Their kids had a sleepover and now 3 kids have Covid and another parent tested positive resulting in 2 classes of kids in different schools all staying home for 2 weeks because it's already spread to other family members. The vaccine is doing F'all to stop transmission.

The vaccines ability to help make the disease less transmittable is a secondary reason to get a vaccine.

The primary reason to get the vaccine is to decrease the risk of death and to ensure less serious symptoms.
The vaccine is doing a great job.

I am also not convinced that covid will mutate into something much worse than it is now. The normal flu virus variants have had a very long time to mutate into something that kills humanity but it's still mostly harmless.

Conack

Expert Member
The vaccines ability to help make the disease less transmittable is a secondary reason to get a vaccine.

The primary reason to get the vaccine is to decrease the risk of death and to ensure less serious symptoms.
The vaccine is doing a great job.

I am also not convinced that covid will mutate into something much worse than it is now. The normal flu virus variants have had a very long time to mutate into something that kills humanity but it's still mostly harmless.

If that's the case, then why are people so desperate to shove the "get vaxxed" down people's throats, with vax passports and barring entry to shops?

It just doesn't make any sense.

If someone chooses to take their chances without the vaccine, then they're only putting themselves in danger.

The vaccinated are still spreading covid, and with the new strain that was reported: https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/thr...-covid-19-variant-of-interest-to-who.1152274/ - the vaccine is likely not so effective anymore either, as we've seen with other variants.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
Get the 2 pfizer shots, 3rd shot should be a non-delta full on covid sissy strain. This is the safest way to beat delta. When covid and vaccines merge....
And the latest strain now comes from South Africa. Lekker local one here reported to WHO today