Healthy, strong but overweight 46 year old tech junky dies from COVID-19

zolly

Expert Member
On 5 August, 46-year-old Tyron Stoltz from River Club in Johannesburg was supposed to receive his first Pfizer vaccination.

But three days earlier, Covid-19 claimed the life of the married father of two young boys after he suffered massive heart failure in hospital.

Now his sister, Kirsty Stoltz, is pleading with South Africans to get vaccinated before it's too late.

READ | SA estimates 220 000 excess deaths during pandemic - among worst in the world

"Ty is 46, overweight, strong – but with no comorbidities. He got sick before he could be vaccinated. He was taking ivermectin. It did not help him. It does not work. What does work, is being fully vaccinated with either the Pfizer or J&J vaccine," Kirsty wrote on her Facebook page a day before Tyron's wife, Michelle, called her with the dreaded news.

How many people here are exactly like this guy? My brother is a bit younger and he fits the exact same profile. My sister is this guy's age and has comordities, but just like the rest of my family, has thankfully gotten the jab.

pouroverguy

Expert Member
Overweight... massive heart failure. Starting to feel sorry for covid getting the blame for everything.

Obesity causing heart failure in a 46 year old? Very very unlikely. A bit too young for hypertensive heart failure and a bit too old for a congenital cause. Much more likely that the heart failure was a complication of COVID.

azbob

Honorary Master
Weird article. Health, strong and regular weight people die from it too.

Although there will always be the “how do you know they were healthy and didn’t have comorbidities!?” gang.

Lupus

Honorary Master
  • A married father of two young boys died shortly before he could receive his first vaccination.
Yet the boys are 18 and 8? So where are the two young boys? Also overweight is an issue and at 46 you can have a heart attack if you're overweight. I knew a 30 year old who had a stroke, just because it's not common doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

surface

Honorary Master
How do they know he had no comorbidities?
That quote was from her sister. Wouldn't you guys know if your sister/brother has hypertension/diabetes/lung conditions? I thought this was common knowledge shared among the families but hey, I wouldn't guess for every family.

According to the Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the top five comorbidities are hypertension, obesity, chronic lung conditions like TB, COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), asthma and cystic fibrosis, diabetes, and cardiovascular conditions like coronary heart disease, congenital heart disease and heart failure.