Heart Breaking Story: Two adults and 14-month-old twins set alight in home attack

Molokai

Man this makes my blood boil. Whats worse though is that this news article does not even make the front page on IOL. In any civilized country this would be headline news. But no, not in SA. This article did not even make the News24.com site. But what makes News24.com’s front page are the following irrelevant articles:

No punishment for Matt Giteau
Drunk driver 10 x over limit
Enough of mantra, says Zille
Torture not ruled out (News from the UK)
Britney's tinfoil trick
Blah blah blah…

This is proof that the SA media is selectively reporting on SA news.

IOL said:
Family set alight, cops arrive 2 hours later

Two adults and 14-month-old twins are fighting for their lives after a heartlessly cruel attack.

The four were tied up at a Randburg house in Olympic Street, Blairgowrie, allegedly by a gang of four men, yesterday afternoon. They were doused in petrol and set alight.

The father managed to untie himself and hit the alarm. ADT security guards who responded alerted Netcare paramedics. Together the father and the security guard tried to put out the flames engulfing the toddlers and the woman.

'The baby girl is in the worst condition as she suffers from chest problems'
The police, however, arrived only almost two hours later, despite news of the attack being broadcast on the hour by 702 Talk Radio.

Netcare 911 spokesperson Mark Stokoe said the room in which the family had been tied up had been totally gutted by the blaze.

"When I arrived on the scene and entered the staff quarters, the mattresses, curtains and children's toys were all burnt. It looks like the victim lost everything in the fire."

The tiny twins lay on a stretcher with bandages wrapped around their entire bodies, hiding the terrible burns they had sustained.

Paramedics worked for more than an hour to stabilise the woman and the toddlers before airlifting the family to hospital. The babies were taken to Chris Hani-Baragwanath Hospital's renowned burns unit. Their parents, who are both said to be in their 30s, were taken to Charlotte Maxeke Johannesburg Academic Hospital.

'After this incident I've decided to buy a shotgun'
Stokoe was not sure of the exact condition of the victims.

"All four were burnt. However, we are not sure of the extent of the burns yet. (They were all in a critical condition.)

"The baby girl is in the worst condition as she suffers from chest problems, so we are very concerned about the amount of smoke she inhaled."

Linden police finally arrived at the scene after hearing of the attack on the radio. Officers claimed they hadn't been alerted to the incident because their police radios were not working at the time, and they were forced to communicate via SMS.

Stokoe said it was unclear what exactly happened, but police confirmed there were no signs of forced entry. "It could have been a domestic dispute or armed robbery. We are unsure of what exactly happened. The owner of the house, however, did say she did not notice anything missing."

According to the domestic worker, Stokoe said, four men entered his quarters in Olympic Road around 2.20pm, tied him and his family up, before dousing them in petrol.

The owner of the house, who was at work at the time of incident, did not want to comment last night.

As the paramedics worked, horrified residents gathered at the scene.

Neighbours said that while they were appalled by the brutality of the crime, they weren't surprised by the police's late arrival.

A family friend, Eva Ramaboea, said the area had recorded several robberies in the past month, but police were not acting with urgency.

"They take very long to get to the scene, and by then the criminals are always gone. They need to jack up because this area is becoming dangerous and police are not doing anything to put us, as residents, at ease," said Ramaboea.

Maureen Aldworth, another neighbour, said: "It's absolutely horrific to see what has happened. The people who did this must be very sick, disgusting and demented, and I hope the police arrest them soon."

Another neighbour, who did not want to be named, said he would take the law into his own hands because the "police cannot do their job properly".

"After this incident I've decided to buy a shotgun, and if any incident happens again, I will go myself and shoot the f***ers myself."

Many residents gathered outside the house said they were fed up with crime in Blairgowrie.

"There were three robberies in one week in the street I stay in, and each time the police were not on time at the scene. I hope the police learn from this incident and in the future arrive on time," said Aldworth.

Another resident said she had been living in Blairgowrie for years but had never heard of such an incident in her life.

"I've lived here for 26 years yet I don't know most of my neighbours, because everybody has their huge wall in front of their house. If we all knew each other, it could have helped in incidents such as today's."
What is happening to SA. Why is news like this being censored from the main stream media? 50 people being murdered per day, 150 people raped per day in SA. Granted the news can't report on each and every case. But surely this type of news is more important than Britney's tinfoil trick & News out of the UK.

Vindictive

We must rise above this. We have grown cold, cowering emotions away from the pain we feel for others. We neglected humanity for our own selfish indulgence. This is horrid, as I see this existence as our only one.
We can put an end to the freakishly cruel fiends amongst us. The days of freedom should be over; we need higher care takers in our societies enforcing the right policies. We need less freedom, as not everyone has earned the right to such freedoms.

rippedoff

welcome to Soutrh Africa, "oh youre on fire you say, do you have any spare change?'

Lycanthrope

Honorary Master
That's horrible... And I agree about media's "selective reporting" ... The police only arriving two hours later is just disgusting....

My sympathy and best wishes to the family...

Lycanthrope

Honorary Master
It's a wonder they went out at all.:D
Well, a while back my other half was mugged outside our complex, took them two hours to respond (we were about to go to the police station when they pulled up!)

No, I have no faith in our police...

Aeron

Vindi, if I had a can of petrol and a match handy, I feel I would've torched you. The days of freedom should be over? We should have Our Benefactors create an Orwellian world for us? I guess you are in favour of gun control, disarming the law abiding citizens and making only the criminals dangerous?

Epic facepalm.

DreamKing

Executive Member
murder, rape, house robbery, arms robbery ...... etc

Do you guys think it is "news" in South Africa?

it is not "selective reporting", it is because such things are not "news" any more.

If ANC give up their "gravy train" and donate all their salaries to charities , that will be "news".

Sad..........

Shake&Bake

Party Liaison
Very sad on all counts; the incident, police response time and the media's coverage of the ordeal.
All the best to the family, gutwrenching stuff.

Also quite true what the one resident says about neighbours not knowing each other anymore.
I'm in the same area I grew up in but don't feel as connected to anyone around here as I used to as a kid.
All one has are arbitary nods of greeting while driving past one another.

I still feel though that we won't let each other down with reporting crime, but times and social interactions have changed it would seem.

I remember a story when I was in diapers: about how our house was burning down and our neighbour a street away
attempted to fight the fire with our garden hose till my family was safe.
Bless your dear departed soul Mr.Barthus :)

Do we still have communities that care that much?

Last edited:

noxibox

Honorary Master
Man this makes my blood boil. Whats worse though is that this news article does not even make the front page on IOL. In any civilized country this would be headline news. But no, not in SA. This article did not even make the News24.com site. But what makes News24.com’s front page are the following irrelevant articles:
IOL doesn't count? Did the censors miss them?

Emjay

Executive Member
I used to live in a house in Blairgowrie. I got hijacked and there was an armed robbery at my house (in a space of 4 months). I now live in a complex in Morningside. Our domestic and my sister was also assaulted and robbed at knife point. The SAPS response time for both the hijacking and armed robbery was amazing. We however got reservists both times.

The Blairgowrie area is becoming a cesspool. There are always unsavory characters walking around.

If you guys walk into your house and see that it has been robbed, get out immediately and call 10111. Tell them you think there is someone still in your house. That will get them there very quickly.

KillerX

Expert Member
Wheres LancelotSA now to tell us this is another example of media sensationalism?

BlackJack1301

It is horrible, but let's put the latest crap Malema said on the front page AGAIN and hide this under the rug :(

Gawain

Expert Member
our backs are against the wall we cower and live in fear i say fusk that time to fight back enough of communities taking **** from barbaric thurs

F

Fudzy

This is quite an old story, have their been any follow ups?

Stokoe said it was unclear what exactly happened, but police confirmed there were no signs of forced entry. "It could have been a domestic dispute or armed robbery. We are unsure of what exactly happened. The owner of the house, however, did say she did not notice anything missing."
Domestic violence anyone?