Heat resistant wood treatment

Bra B

Hi. I'm planning to build my own solid wood kitchen counter top. Any recommendations of sealer/coating to use to protect the wood from heat eg. hot pot/pan, etc. placed directly on the counter?

Nick333

Honorary Master
Don't place hot things directly on the counter top...
This. No sealer/coating is that heat resistant. Maybe consider counter sinking a slate or marble slab flush with in the counter for that purpose.

gamer16

Honorary Master
This. No sealer/coating is that heat resistant. Maybe consider counter sinking a slate or marble slab flush with in the counter for that purpose.
Well, technically a ceramic coating would work, but then what is the point of using wood, also it would crack as the wood moves.

Nick333

Honorary Master
Well, technically a ceramic coating would work, but then what is the point of using wood, also it would crack as the wood moves.
Could just go for a slate or marble counter too I suppose.

Nick333

Honorary Master
Quite honestly the best choice, looks good and endlessly durable.
Ja, last counter top/s you'll ever buy. I wonder what the price difference between that and solid wood is these days.

Meelperd

solid wood
Out of curiosity, which type of wood you have in mind? Look, the harder, the better, but the following is still inevitable:

If you're gonna go with wood, get (or make) some heat resistant trivets.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Hi. I'm planning to build my own solid wood kitchen counter top. Any recommendations of sealer/coating to use to protect the wood from heat eg. hot pot/pan, etc. placed directly on the counter?
Any real wood should be able to handle the heat without issues. It is mostly the varnish that will be a problem. So rather check the varnish or sealer you want to use and that it won't leave water marks or get damaged by heat.

Nick333

Honorary Master
Any real wood should be able to handle the heat without issues. It is mostly the varnish that will be a problem. So rather check the varnish or sealer you want to use and that it won't leave water marks or get damaged by heat.

I'm honestly not sure where you got this idea from. Wood is really not known for it's heat resistant properties. Aside from the fact that I burnt a bag of real wood this weekend, I don't think I've ever seen an old wooden countertop or kitchen table without a pan sized half moon scorched into it.

RedViking

Nord of the South
I'm honestly not sure where you got this idea from. Wood is really not known for it's heat resistant properties. Aside from the fact that I burnt a bag of real wood this weekend, I don't think I've ever seen an old wooden countertop or kitchen table without a pan sized half moon scorched into it.
Well of course you are not going to start a fire on it. That is just pathetic. If something is scorching hot you will put it on a grill or coaster or something.

Nick333

Honorary Master
Well of course you are not going to start a fire on it. That is just pathetic. If something is scorching hot you will put it on a grill or coaster or something.
So in other words your answer to how can you protect a wooden counter from a hot pan being placed on it, is don't place a hot pan on it? Thanks for your contribution.

RedViking

Nord of the South
So in other words your answer to how can you protect a wooden counter from a hot pan being placed on it, is don't place a hot pan on it? Thanks for your contribution.
You can place a warm pan on it or a warm oven dish.

RedViking

Nord of the South
@Nick333 my father was a carpenter and we have installed MANY wood counter tops without issues. But you are now just trolling. Cheers expert.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Don't get triggered. The OP asked about putting a hot pan on a wooden countertop.
"Any recommendations of sealer/coating to use to protect the wood"

@Bra B Woodoc 10 or Woodoc 2000

If it is "scorching" hot put it on a coaster or wood board. Take left over wood you used for the counter and cut a nice board out of it, treat it also with Woodoc 10.

Woodoc 10 should be able to handle heat up to 170-180 deg IIRC.

Last edited: