Heater - Gas vs ESKOM

Zophos

Go for the gas.

The initial layout cost is a bit high (Bottle + heater + refill), but you will enjoy some advantages over electric

1. Gas heating also acts as humidifier, thus won't "dry out" the air
2. Works without Eskom (loadshedding friendly)
3. Gas burning is more efficient, thus less gas to produce same heat, and also heats up a room a lot faster.

The cost saving aspect is a bit of a Duzy, but I can do some basic calculations if you like..., at the moment the total cost is very close, with gas a few cents cheaper per month for my 2 panel burner

gamer16

Executive Member
I'd be very much surprised if Eksdom is cheaper though, and gas is more scary as it goes boom.

isie

Honorary Master
Quick question, which is cheaper to run?
a gas heater or a heater running off ESKOM?
I am currently looking at todays Daily Deal on TA
I am on pre paid electricity and pay R2.10 per unit.
Thanx
https://www.takealot.com/megamaster-tacora-small-roll-about-heater/PLID45207507
R2.10 a unit - flip that's expensive!

Go with Gas - too difficult to do calcs but sometimes gas is more sometimes electricity is more(on your rate i think electricity is more expensive)
Just dont run the heater all the time - switch it on warm the room and then switch it off.

Also although i have one of theses little ones (alva though) and loved it for our bedroom - cost wise can spend about R200 more and get full size one - they better for larger areas

spiff

Expert Member

SAguy

Expert Member
For the budget conscious:
What's also worth considering is that with gas, you buy the bottle - if it runs out and you don't have money for more gas that month - just deal with it.
With electricity, if you aren't being disciplined, you use too much electricity and then are forced to buy electricity.

Lupus

Honorary Master
What's also worth considering is that with gas, you buy the bottle - if it runs out and you don't have money for more gas that month - just deal with it.
With electricity, if you aren't being disciplined, you use too much electricity and then are forced to buy electricity.
Well if you're on prepaid electricity it's the same thing right? If you run out you're out :)

isie

Honorary Master
same logic could be used for prepaid electricity

Nanfeishen

Executive Member
Quick question, which is cheaper to run?
a gas heater or a heater running off ESKOM?
I am currently looking at todays Daily Deal on TA
I am on pre paid electricity and pay R2.10 per unit.
Thanx
Replaced my 9kg gas bottle recently (C.T.) R220 i get roughly 90 hours running one panel on 3 panel heater and that would be on average 3 hours per night in the dead of winter, so basically a months worth.
Stove , 5 plate burner running off a 19kg , constant daily use as i use it for my kettle and cooking , last refill was R450 odd and is still going well since 22/10/18.

Gas without a doubt.