Heater - Gas vs ESKOM

unobeat

Gas heater is working well for me as in 30min after switch it on running 2 panels, the room and house is warmed up nicely.

I am still testing as to how long the 9kg bottle lasts.

Last edited:

chickenbeef

Executive Member
For the budget conscious:
What's also worth considering is that with gas, you buy the bottle - if it runs out and you don't have money for more gas that month - just deal with it.
With electricity, if you aren't being disciplined, you use too much electricity and then are forced to buy electricity.
IMHO you have bigger problems if you have to wait till the next month to buy more.

Hellhound105

Expert Member
gas.

I installed 2 x 19kg outside tanks / gas geyser / gas stove / gas heater - fork ekscorrupt!
I did the same for the same stuff I went from R4000 electricity bill to a R1000 for gas bill and R1000 for Electricity. Minus the gas heater as I dont use a heater.

snip.JPG

spiff

Expert Member
I did the same for the same stuff I went from R4000 electricity bill to a R1000 for gas bill and R1000 for Electricity. Minus the gas heater as I dont use a heater.

View attachment 660566
I still ran off my solar geyser in summer - the gas geyser is a booster in winter and for my washing machine - so I don't use ekscorupt for heating water anymore

Chuckmyster

Honorary Master
I'm a bachelor running no heater at the moment, I buy 166 units a month and get by easily.
Apartment is small. 80 sqrs.
i do run an electric blanket in winter half an hr before bedtime and then switch it off when i get into bed.
Lounge is cold 2 - 3 weeks of the year, need a heater for that time of the year only.
Rest of time i just dress warmer

isie

Honorary Master
I still ran off my solar geyser in summer - the gas geyser is a booster in winter and for my washing machine - so I don't use ekscorupt for heating water anymore
do you have a gas geyser that checks the temp and only heats up if needed - or you manually control?

I'm a bachelor running no heater at the moment, I buy 166 units a month and get by easily.
Apartment is small. 80 sqrs.
i do run an electric blanket in winter half an hr before bedtime and then switch it off when i get into bed.
Lounge is cold 2 - 3 weeks of the year, need a heater for that time of the year only.
Rest of time i just dress warmer
166 units you really use very little :D
Maybe just check for the larger heater like i said costs slightly more - when you alone 1 panel just to warm up but when you have guests can go up to 2 or more .

spiff

Expert Member
do you have a gas geyser that checks the temp and only heats up if needed - or you manually control?
yes it does, but since I have a SG, I have it setup differently.

eg. the luke warm water from the SG goes through a preset temp valve which determines whether the solar water is still hot enough or to divert it to the GG which boosts it back up to 60C.

so the GG only gets used if the temp drops below 60C. which is mostly winter time.

Chuckmyster

Honorary Master
i also only run my ESKOM geyser for 1hr every morning before work and it is warm enough to shower, so thats around 10 bux a day, cant complain

Trust|Nobody

I've got the Alva mini gas heater:

IMG_20190520_144451_923.jpeg

These are the specs:

IMG_20190520_144122_782.jpeg

Let's do a calculation to determine which is cheaper, Eskom or gas.

The cost for a 3 kg gas refill is R86.
The heater consumes 165 g/h of gas to produce 2.5 kW of heat power.

The energy produced for one refill is 2.5 kW × 3000 g ÷ 165 g/h = 45.5 kWh.

The cost for gas is thus R86 ÷ 45.5 kWh = 1.89 R/kWh.
Your Eskom cost is 2.10 R/kWh.

So gas is the winner.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
I have to refill my 19kg gas cylinder today after 8 - 9 months of use (Gas Geyser, Stove). - R450ish

Trust|Nobody

Other useful information is that the gas will need to be refilled every 3000 g ÷ 165 g/h = 18.2 h.

So the bottle will be empty after approximately 18 hours of operation.

isie

Honorary Master
yes it does, but since I have a SG, I have it setup differently.

eg. the luke warm water from the SG goes through a preset temp valve which determines whether the solar water is still hot enough or to divert it to the GG which boosts it back up to 60C.

so the GG only gets used if the temp drops below 60C. which is mostly winter time.
so you don't use any electricity for water heating- cool didn't know that was possible , only ones i have found was where the gas geyser had a built in temp sensor to check and switched on where needed , but geyser is quite expensive.
can you advise details of this preset temp valve?

Nod

Executive Member

spiff

Expert Member
Other useful information is that the gas will need to be refilled every 3000 g ÷ 165 g/h = 18.2 h.

So the bottle will be empty after approximately 18 hours of operation.
this is my gas consumption. I have not finished with the 2nd exchange bottle yet.

gas consumption.jpg

I only use the gas heater / geyser 3 months in winter, the gas stove occasionally.

spiff

Expert Member
so you don't use any electricity for water heating- cool didn't know that was possible , only ones i have found was where the gas geyser had a built in temp sensor to check and switched on where needed , but geyser is quite expensive.
can you advise details of this preset temp valve?
No I don't use any electricity from ekscorupt for heating water or my house.

my setup is slightly different. the GG sensors water temp / flow etc. but I wanted to use the luke warm water from the SG through the GS - that way I save on gas as it's better to heat water from 45C to 60C than 10C to 60C.

however the valve is not the best solution and can be problematic.

the item that @Nod mentioned looks like the better solution. this costs the same as a thermostatic mixer.

Attachments

same logic could be used for prepaid electricity
And it does. You're more aware of your usage as opposed to getting a bill end of the month and realizing you farked up by using way more electricity than you planned to.