Heater - Gas vs ESKOM

alqassam

Expert Member
Currently have a 26 Ltd Bosch gas fan forced geyser, and 1 hob running off 2 x 48kg. Will extend it to a second hob for the domestic quarters.

Have 1 x 3 panel gas geyser as well. Want to get one of those fan forced gas jobbies but too many dollars

Want to eventually connect the geyser to a solar geyser and run it to more bathrooms.

Last edited:

Chuckmyster

Honorary Master
Currently have a 26 Ltd Bosch gas fan forced geyser, and 1 hob running off 2 x 48kg. Will extend it to a second hob for the domestic quarters.

Have 1 x 3 panel gas geyser as well. Want to get one of those fan forced gas hobbies but too many dollars

Want to eventually connect the geyser to a solar geyser and run it to more bathrooms.
fan force hobbies rock, my ex has one and it doubles up as a massive heater to heat the house up - honest truth :thumbsup:

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
It will nogal be great to have a wall mounted gas heater in my bedroom since the rest of my house runs on gas. Or a small fireplace with that glass panel. Hmmm....

I have a wooden floor though.

isie

Honorary Master
You notice they mention modern induction stoves not many people use those.

An induction cooker is way more efficient then gas or standard hob.

Approx cost to boil 2L of water:
Gas hob uses about 0.03 kg more or less R0.75 (at R25 per KG of gas)
standard Electric hob uses v0.5 kWh more or less R0.71 (at R1.46 per KW ) or R1.24 (at R2.46 per KW)
Induction hob uses v0.02 kWh more or less R0.29 (at R1.46 per KW ) or R0.49 (at R2.46 per KW)

The above is based on my electricity Tariff, other people may pay more.

Purchase and Installations costs of regular electric hob is the cheapest , Gas Hobbs aren't too bad (more or less the same as electric) but if you don't have a current gas installation this can be expensive, Induction hobs are freaking expensive but installation cost is the same as regular electric hob (so total cost is probably about the same as Gas.
But gas has the added benefit of not relying on being on the grid. Also unlike electricity Gas suppliers do not care how much you buy in a month the price is the same (baring cost changes during the months).
If i went back to a standard stove my usage will go up and push me to the higher bracket thereby increasing my usage and cost will be more for other things I use, induction may do this as well depending on other factors.

alqassam

Expert Member
You notice they mention modern induction stoves not many people use those.

An induction cooker is way more efficient then gas or standard hob.

Approx cost to boil 2L of water:
Gas hob uses about 0.03 kg more or less R0.75 (at R25 per KG of gas)
standard Electric hob uses v0.5 kWh more or less R0.71 (at R1.46 per KW ) or R1.24 (at R2.46 per KW)
Induction hob uses v0.02 kWh more or less R0.29 (at R1.46 per KW ) or R0.49 (at R2.46 per KW)

The above is based on my electricity Tariff, other people may pay more.

Purchase and Installations costs of regular electric hob is the cheapest , Gas Hobbs aren't too bad (more or less the same as electric) but if you don't have a current gas installation this can be expensive, Induction hobs are freaking expensive but installation cost is the same as regular electric hob (so total cost is probably about the same as Gas.
But gas has the added benefit of not relying on being on the grid. Also unlike electricity Gas suppliers do not care how much you buy in a month the price is the same (baring cost changes during the months).
If i went back to a standard stove my usage will go up and push me to the higher bracket thereby increasing my usage and cost will be more for other things I use, induction may do this as well depending on other factors.
Induction isn't too expensive. I paid 5000 for a 60cm Bosch.

The induction boils water super fast though.

alqassam

Expert Member
@isie has a point with regards to moving up tariff bands, so if gas is costing the same as electricity it becomes a non brainer to use.

With regards to solar and initial high cost it should still pay itself off and that's when you reap the rewards.

isie

Honorary Master
Induction isn't too expensive. I paid 5000 for a 60cm Bosch.

The induction boils water super fast though.

@isie has a point with regards to moving up tariff bands, so if gas is costing the same as electricity it becomes a non brainer to use.

With regards to solar and initial high cost it should still pay itself off and that's when you reap the rewards.
LOL I just googled Induction Geyser , those are available :) who knew.

biometrics

Honorary Master
Any decent gas heaters that can sufficiently and efficiently warm a 4m x 4.5m room?
Any three panel 9 kg gas heater will do. I've got a Cadac from Makro. Run one panel for about 4-5 hours a night and 9 kg lasts about 3 weeks. You can start with two panels to boost the temperature for a short while and then switch to one for the rest of the evening.

Don't spend more than R1,000, they are all the same. I've been using a gas heater for 20 years, way better than electric.

I've go this one: https://www.makro.co.za/appliances/...c-3-panel-gas-heater-/p/000000000000334978_EA

I see it's cheaper at Takealot: https://www.takealot.com/cadac-3-panel-rollabout-heater/PLID54496619

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
Any three panel 9 kg gas heater will do. I've got a Cadac from Makro. Run one panel for about 4-5 hours a night and 9 kg lasts about 3 weeks. You can start with two panels to boost the temperature for a short while and then switch to one for the rest of the evening.

Don't spend more than R1,000, they are all the same. I've been using a gas heater for 20 years, way better than electric.

I've go this one: https://www.makro.co.za/appliances/...c-3-panel-gas-heater-/p/000000000000334978_EA

I see it's cheaper at Takealot: https://www.takealot.com/cadac-3-panel-rollabout-heater/PLID54496619
3 weeks only??? How much is it to fill a 9kg?