Heater - Gas vs ESKOM

biometrics

Honorary Master
The 9 kg gas bottle/heater probably has a larger outlet than a 3 kg does.

Edit: R829 at Takealot and free deliver: https://www.takealot.com/cadac-3-panel-rollabout-heater/PLID54496619

When you get a full gas bottle from the petrol station you'll pay a deposit for the bottle and a fee for the gas. In summer you return it for the deposit. So you're only paying for the gas. Don't bother with 3 kg, it will only last one week. Will drive you nuts refilling that all the time.

Last edited:

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
It's kaaaaaaark cold here in Wellies. My dry buddy works better than my aircon that takes forever to heat up.

Thor

Honorary Master
Thanks for the link and info @biometrics

I will take the Takealot one, do you know how long a 9KG bottle would last with normal usage say 3 hours per day?

Side note: Any upside to buying the bottle from builders and re-filling there?
Rephrase: How much does a deposit for the bottle cost at the garage and is Engine part of that, ie it's my nearest station.

biometrics

Honorary Master

I will take the Takealot one, do you know how long a 9KG bottle would last with normal usage say 3 hours per day?

Rephrase: How much does a deposit for the bottle cost at the garage and is Engine part of that, ie it's my nearest station.
Already posted a few posts up. But one panel three hours a day will last a month.

It's cheaper to pay the deposit at the petrol station. Bringing your own to refill actually costs more. In any case, in summer you return it for the deposit. So costs you nothing.

Can't say if your petrol station sells gas. Only some do.

biometrics

Honorary Master
How big is the area that you are using it in?
Man cave is about 4x8. And I leave the door open to the rest of the house for my cats.

Note, I'm not sitting here in shorts and a t-shirt. I use it to take the edge off but still have a jersey on.

isie

Honorary Master
3kg has a smaller connector , you can get a connector (i use one works fine)
this heater is expensive, you paying for that foldable back , space wise when packing away it's cool but if you have the space the extra cost isn't worth it.

Unless builders is close to you no reason to go especially to them, though they are one of the few places that will sell you the swappable tanks without a deposit (*a full 9kg should cost you about R585) deposit at most places is about +/-R340
As for buying the refillables vs Swapables much of a muchness (IMHO) , I have both but with the filables if the place is busy (like i expect this weekend will be) you might have to leave your tank and fetch it later or the next day and will leave you without Gas.

They should pay you some commission
View attachment 672285
not a bad price for a Cadac

Last edited:

Thor

Honorary Master
About to go pick mine up.
Where in Bellville (which garage) can I go to to get the 9KG bottle and gas?

Thor

Honorary Master
I go an buy the 9KG bottle at Game for R800

Just to find not a single Garage in the whole of Bellville and Durbanville does refills.

I really should learn my lesson and realize we live in a shithole country that doesn’t function like you’d expect.

biometrics

Honorary Master
I go an buy the 9KG bottle at Game for R800

Just to find not a single Garage in the whole of Bellville and Durbanville does refills.

I really should learn my lesson and realize we live in a shithole country that doesn’t function like you’d expect.
Or rather you should have listened to me. Told you not to buy a bottle. Just pay the deposit. Duh.

And R800 is crazy. Take the thing back.

alqassam

Expert Member
Or rather you should have listened to me. Told you not to buy a bottle. Just pay the deposit. Duh.

Builders is around 585 and that's with a full tank of gas. . They will deliver to your door.

Alternatively look for your closest afrox shop

Thor

Honorary Master

No place is open 6:30PM except for Game (none of the Garages in Bellville/Durbanville does Gas.)

My thinking was buy the bottle and then I can go fill it up at the garage quickly. (little did I know how k@k they are)

biometrics

Honorary Master
No place is open 6:30PM except for Game (none of the Garages in Bellville/Durbanville does Gas.)

My thinking was buy the bottle and then I can go fill it up at the garage quickly. (little did I know how k@k they are)
You should learn to take advice from those that have the experience. Take back the bottle. Get one from a petrol station and pay the deposit. In summer return it for the deposit. COSTS YOU NOTHING.