Heavy shaping of Rain Lte since rain Mobile Launch!

dee4dog

So all of a sudden (since rain mobile launch) Afrihost heavily shapes my capped data in the evenings, basically the only time i use it! General drop in speeds as well! [MENTION=192591]AfriMan[/MENTION] wil this be permanent ? if so i wil have to make alternative arrangments.

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep
So all of a sudden (since rain mobile launch) Afrihost heavily shapes my capped data in the evenings, basically the only time i use it! General drop in speeds as well! [MENTION=192591]AfriMan[/MENTION] wil this be permanent ? if so i wil have to make alternative arrangments.
We're definitely not shaping any data from our side. We don't have direct access to RAIN's network, but it's possible that a whack of new users on the network might initially have an effect. But RAIN will be monitoring and upgrading as required to that performance is consistent.

dee4dog

[MENTION=192591]AfriMan[/MENTION] thank you for the response. Then it is rain shaping form their side. Pitty they are not as responsive as you, so it safe to say we are stuck with shaped trafic during evenings, not a happy camper!!!

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep
[MENTION=192591]AfriMan[/MENTION] thank you for the response. Then it is rain shaping form their side. Pitty they are not as responsive as you, so it safe to say we are stuck with shaped trafic during evenings, not a happy camper!!!
I wouldn't say that. They are definitely monitoring closely - it would be impossible to predict which areas will have the most growth. But we've seen them being very quick to react to increases in demand by upgrading area infrastructure and we've seen many clients only see slow speeds due to congestion for a relatively short period of time.

bboy

Expert Member
So 6pm comes around.. and fixed LTE users get shaped to death?
Why???
IF rain mobile users can't use their "uncapped off peak" data at this time then they definitely aren't using the network.
So whats the point?
You guys are the one we are paying for the service, maybe you should make sure its working properly.

J0n0

Expert Member
So 6pm comes around.. and fixed LTE users get shaped to death?
Why???
IF rain mobile users can't use their "uncapped off peak" data at this time then they definitely aren't using the network.
So whats the point?
You guys are the one we are paying for the service, maybe you should make sure its working properly.
Not reading the whole thread are we?

CataclysmZA

Expert Member
Honestly, if you guys are getting shaped, why aren't you mentioning which protocols you're being shaped on? Come on, don't be shy.

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep
Honestly, if you guys are getting shaped, why aren't you mentioning which protocols you're being shaped on? Come on, don't be shy.
I don't think congestion should be conflated with shaping. Shaping is deliberate slowing down of specific protocols. Congestion will have an unpredictable effect on random services, as demand fluctuates.

CataclysmZA

Expert Member
I don't think congestion should be conflated with shaping. Shaping is deliberate slowing down of specific protocols. Congestion will have an unpredictable effect on random services, as demand fluctuates.
True, but what we're seeing here is that Rain is prioritising certain protocols during peak/Netflix time, and users that are complaining about the shaping aren't saying what protocols they're having an issue with, or what speeds they're getting. Youtube 4K for example is deprioritised during peak time, sticking to 1080p between 6PM and 11PM, going back to full speed after 11PM. Apart from people being stuck on the 1800MHz band because their devices don't do CA, I don't think this is congestion. It's definitely shaping.

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep
True, but what we're seeing here is that Rain is prioritising certain protocols during peak/Netflix time, and users that are complaining about the shaping aren't saying what protocols they're having an issue with, or what speeds they're getting. Youtube 4K for example is deprioritised during peak time, sticking to 1080p between 6PM and 11PM, going back to full speed after 11PM. Apart from people being stuck on the 1800MHz band because their devices don't do CA, I don't think this is congestion. It's definitely shaping.
I don't have insight into their Quality of Service policies, so I couldn't say for sure. Though I think they wouldn't actively shape (especially real time services) without being up front about that.

CataclysmZA

Expert Member
I don't have insight into their Quality of Service policies, so I couldn't say for sure. Though I think they wouldn't actively shape (especially real time services) without being up front about that.
I've seen some reports that things like streaming to Twitch are affected, but I've never seen anyone complain about Skype or other video chat services. No-one's posting anything about Netflix either, though there is a thread here on the Rain subforum with fixed LTE users complaining about shaping during peak times even for gaming.

https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/959629-Rain-FIXED-LTE-crippled-now-due-to-Rain-mobile

And getting information out of Rain currently is like drawing blood out of a stone. I think that, at the very least, you guys should be investigating this on your end and seeing what you can do about it, because it's your brand that's attached to Rain because you're a reseller.

I'm still going to be getting my SIM next month anyway for testing the network.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
I've seen some reports that things like streaming to Twitch are affected, but I've never seen anyone complain about Skype or other video chat services. No-one's posting anything about Netflix either, though there is a thread here on the Rain subforum with fixed LTE users complaining about shaping during peak times even for gaming.

https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/959629-Rain-FIXED-LTE-crippled-now-due-to-Rain-mobile

And getting information out of Rain currently is like drawing blood out of a stone. I think that, at the very least, you guys should be investigating this on your end and seeing what you can do about it, because it's your brand that's attached to Rain because you're a reseller.

I'm still going to be getting my SIM next month anyway for testing the network.
This is certainly something that we are not ignoring as the quality of service for our clients is very important to us and we have heard each and every complaint. I can assure that we are always chatting with Rain to bring certain things to thire attention as we know that they also want the best for their clients too. :)

dee4dog

[MENTION=192591]AfriMan[/MENTION] and [MENTION=431899]AfriNatic[/MENTION] it would be great if you can find out from them (as I have had no luck whatsoever) if this would be a permanent situation. This is definitely shaping! If it is permanant i wil have to investigate other providers.

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep
[MENTION=192591]AfriMan[/MENTION] and [MENTION=431899]AfriNatic[/MENTION] it would be great if you can find out from them (as I have had no luck whatsoever) if this would be a permanent situation. This is definitely shaping! If it is permanant i wil have to investigate other providers.
I really doubt that they are actively shaping, as it's an unshaped product. Shaping would also affect all users on the network, as you can't shape regionally (at least not in the way I understand they've setup their network). So I do believe this is a local demand issue, which means it is definitely not permanent.

dee4dog

[MENTION=192591]AfriMan[/MENTION] trust me they are actively shaping. Let me explain, p2p traffic throttled to exactly 100kB/s on both 1800MHz and 2600MHz, no fluctuation. Between exactly 18h00 and 23h00. At exactly 23h00 speeds shoots up. Congestion(demand) would not do this. I'm not the only user reporting this, and you should be able to see it from your side. Im not sure shaping is regionally or localy possible though

Last edited:

Quicks

[MENTION=192591]AfriMan[/MENTION] trust me they are actively shaping. Let me explain, p2p traffic throttled to exactly 100kB/s on both 1800MHz and 2600MHz, no fluctuation. Between exactly 18h00 and 23h00. At exactly 23h00 speeds shoots up. Congestion(demand) would not do this. I'm not the only user reporting this, and you should be able to see it from your side. Im not sure shaping is regionally or localy possible though
Yep same problem. If they keeps this up they will lose many clients. I am already eyeing the Cell C offer might upgrade the package while I am at it.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Can confirm this. I'm on rain mobile and when testing this is what they did during peak. Otherwise was full speed. They are probably applying their shaping to all traffic whereas they should maybe exclude for the onsellers.

ginggs

Super Grandwizard
Super Moderator
iBurst used to heavily restrict bittorrent traffic until midnight, and then they would open the taps until 06:00, so RAIN definitely have the technology to do this.