Heavy shaping of Rain Lte since rain Mobile Launch!

Quicks

This is just getting better and better downloading 984mb game patch and its taking 1H36m to download?

eg2505

Honorary Master
[MENTION=192591]AfriMan[/MENTION] and [MENTION=431899]AfriNatic[/MENTION] it would be great if you can find out from them (as I have had no luck whatsoever) if this would be a permanent situation. This is definitely shaping! If it is permanant i wil have to investigate other providers.
Iburst used to do this very commonly, so one would think they have to shape, to keep the network working well
and anyway [MENTION=102857]dee4dog[/MENTION], we didnt pay for unshaped or uncapped, so you take what you get I suppose.

if its an issue, what about getting another provider like Telkom and testing its uncapped LTE product instead, especially if you trying to DL at night.
I did it before, for my own torrenting needs and backups to cloud services, worked very well for me, even with a el-cheapo 3g phone.

Quicks

:( That's not great. What were your speedtests looking like around that time?
Speedtest was good about ping 19, 54Mbps down and 9Mbps up. They are throttling the speeds, but like everyone is saying its always between 18:00 - 23:00.

Last edited:

dee4dog

I really doubt that they are actively shaping, as it's an unshaped product. Shaping would also affect all users on the network, as you can't shape regionally (at least not in the way I understand they've setup their network). So I do believe this is a local demand issue, which means it is definitely not permanent.
[MENTION=53220]eg2505[/MENTION] acording to [MENTION=192591]AfriMan[/MENTION] this is suposed to be a unshaped product, anyway it was till rain mobile launch!!:mad:

dee4dog

:( That's not great. What were your speedtests looking like around that time?
[MENTION=323060]AfriGenie[/MENTION] used to get between 40 and 50Mbps down now only 30 to 40, so in essence, demand increase (tower congestion) = slower overall speed
(this is on 2600Mhz, on 1800Mhz it is far worse, below 10Mbps down), plus they are shaping!

Last edited:

Quicks

When is the latest date that you can cancel the same month without paying, rolling over to the next month?

I think it was the 20th? should I wait until next month before cancelling now?

AfriGenie

Afrihost
Company Rep
Hey Guys!

I just wanted to update you, we are busy working on figuring what's going on with some of the Fixed Wireless packages at the moment.

The moment that we have an update from our Team I'll definitely let you know!

eg2505

Honorary Master
its being shaped, simple explanation, seen it before with iburst,

yes unshaped and all that, but its a tradeoff, slow P2p throttling/shaping?
or no network due to everybody else bringing down the network? with torrents ect...

AfriGenie

Afrihost
Company Rep
its being shaped, simple explanation, seen it before with iburst,

yes unshaped and all that, but its a tradeoff, slow P2p throttling/shaping?
or no network due to everybody else bringing down the network? with torrents ect...
I can't speak to any shaping or throttling at this stage, but we are working on getting the issue with slow upload speeds resolved.

eg2505

Honorary Master
I can't speak to any shaping or throttling at this stage, but we are working on getting the issue with slow upload speeds resolved.
IE, you fully aware of shaping, and to not get quoted to death you say, "we investigating""

rule 1 of corporate communications, never admit fault...
[MENTION=323060]AfriGenie[/MENTION], we sure its throttling, Iburst did it, Rain does exactly the same nothing new.

AfriGenie

Afrihost
Company Rep
IE, you fully aware of shaping, and to not get quoted to death you say, "we investigating""

rule 1 of corporate communications, never admit fault...
[MENTION=323060]AfriGenie[/MENTION], we sure its throttling, Iburst did it, Rain does exactly the same nothing new.
As AfriMan pointed out, the Fixed Wireless products are unshaped and shouldn't experience throttling, and I'm not aware of any change in that regard. If there are any issues that arise, we will always do our best to figure out what's causing it and get it resolved. :)

UntoldFable

This is definitely shaping of some sort. I'm communicating with a friend who has the exact same package from Afrihost, but lives a good 30min away.

Steam downloads limited to ~600KB/s
Normal downloads limited to ~100KB/s
Streaming in Netflix seems slower.

All while speed test shows upwards of 30mb/s..?

This is absolutely unacceptable, to shape on a capped package is ridiculous. It's going to take me 3 hours to get a 6 gig update on steam. Are you out of your mind? I might as well go back to ADSL then, and it sure as hell won't be with Afrihost.

AfriGenie

Afrihost
Company Rep
This is definitely shaping of some sort. I'm communicating with a friend who has the exact same package from Afrihost, but lives a good 30min away.

Steam downloads limited to ~600KB/s
Normal downloads limited to ~100KB/s
Streaming in Netflix seems slower.

All while speed test shows upwards of 30mb/s..?

This is absolutely unacceptable, to shape on a capped package is ridiculous. It's going to take me 3 hours to get a 6 gig update on steam. Are you out of your mind? I might as well go back to ADSL then, and it sure as hell won't be with Afrihost.
If you are experiencing issues with your Fixed Wireless package then we need to investigate this. As I've stated, from my understanding the Fixed Wireless packages aren't shaped, so if you aren't having a decent experience then this is something that I need to look into.

Can you please PM me your account details.

Quicks

When is the latest date that you can cancel the same month without paying, rolling over to the next month?

I think it was the 20th? should I wait until next month before cancelling now?
It is quite clear Rain do not care about fixed lte network anymore since they launched their Rain mobile, could I please have an answer on when the cut off date is for cancellation so that I can plan ahead?

chickenbeef

Executive Member
Also experiencing shaping during "peak" hours on my Afrihost RAIN fixed wireless package.

I can barely stream YouTube in 720p after 6pm and my torrents grind to a halt. Gaming (dota) also takes a hit with high (500ms+) ping making it unplayable. Switching to MTN and everything is smooth. Definitely shaping at play if so many of us are having this issue at EXACTLY the same to time.

You can't expect me to believe that hundreds/thousands of people are connecting to the same tower at exactly the same time every single day (18:00) for it to be Tower congestion :rolleyes:

Anyway, doubt Afrihost can actually do anything about this as it's a RAIN issue.

Last edited:

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep
It is quite clear Rain do not care about fixed lte network anymore since they launched their Rain mobile, could I please have an answer on when the cut off date is for cancellation so that I can plan ahead?
They definitely do care - the mobile network is data only and runs off the same backbone so all users would be affected.

We are seeing congestion in certain areas but RAIN is proactively collecting information from users so they can address it as quickly as possible.

Unfortunately we've passed the cancellation cut-off for June, so if you cancel now it will take effect at the end of July.

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep
Also experiencing shaping during "peak" hours on my Afrihost RAIN fixed wireless package.

I can barely stream YouTube in 720p after 6pm and my torrents grind to a halt. Gaming (dota) also takes a hit with high (500ms+) ping making it unplayable. Switching to MTN and everything is smooth. Definitely shaping at play if so many of us are having this issue at EXACTLY the same to time.

You can't expect me to believe that hundreds/thousands of people are connecting to the same tower at exactly the same time every single day (18:00) for it to be Tower congestion :rolleyes:

Anyway, doubt Afrihost can actually do anything about this as it's a RAIN issue.
It really depends on the tower and the increase in users in recent times. We are seeing that generally RAIN has had a growing uptake. We can get your details and provide them to RAIN to investigate further :(

Quicks

They definitely do care - the mobile network is data only and runs off the same backbone so all users would be affected.

We are seeing congestion in certain areas but RAIN is proactively collecting information from users so they can address it as quickly as possible.

Unfortunately we've passed the cancellation cut-off for June, so if you cancel now it will take effect at the end of July.
Yes they care about us fixed LTE users thank you!

https://mybroadband.co.za/news/cellular/266367-rain-mobile-is-heavily-throttling-downloads-these-are-the-speeds-you-can-expect.html#disqus_thread

This is from my broadband throttling confirmed?

Thanks for trying to bull**** everyone here now we know what you think of your clients!

Then again I can always cancel the fixed LTE and get rain mobile for R250, uncapped does not sound that bad anymore. If you don't mind crappy speeds between 18:00 - 23:00.

I feel sorry for the fixed LTE users that pay R600 +.

Last edited: