Heavy shaping of Rain Lte since rain Mobile Launch!

AfriGenie

Afrihost
Company Rep
Yes they care about us fixed LTE users thank you!

https://mybroadband.co.za/news/cellular/266367-rain-mobile-is-heavily-throttling-downloads-these-are-the-speeds-you-can-expect.html#disqus_thread

This is from my broadband throttling confirmed?

Thanks for trying to bull**** everyone here now we know what you think of your clients!

Then again I can always cancel the fixed LTE and get rain mobile for R250, uncapped does not sound that bad anymore. If you don't mind crappy speeds between 18:00 - 23:00.

I feel sorry for the fixed LTE users that pay R600 +.
I've confirmed with our Team, this is only affecting Clients that purchased RAIN Mobile directly from RAIN, this will in no way affect Afrihost Fixed Wireless Clients.

If you are experiencing poor performance then this is an issue that I need to raise with RAIN. Can you please PM me your account details and I'll get on this!

dee4dog

As AfriMan pointed out, the Fixed Wireless products are unshaped and shouldn't experience throttling, and I'm not aware of any change in that regard. If there are any issues that arise, we will always do our best to figure out what's causing it and get it resolved. :)
[MENTION=323060]AfriGenie[/MENTION] this should not be hard to investigate, simply ask rain if they are shaping,(they are) as this is supposed to be a non shaped product according to you. i Canot get any awnsers out of rain....that being said i'm your client and you should resolve my issue. At least you ingage with us . At the moment you are selling a shaped product between 18h00 and 23h00!

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep
[MENTION=323060]AfriGenie[/MENTION] this should not be hard to investigate, simply ask rain if they are shaping,(they are) as this is supposed to be a non shaped product according to you. i Canot get any awnsers out of rain....that being said i'm your client and you should resolve my issue. At least you ingage with us . At the moment you are selling a shaped product between 18h00 and 23h00!
To my knowledge RAIN are only applying QoS/Shaping to their Uncapped products (which we don't offer) and capped data is unshaped.

Quicks

To my knowledge RAIN are only applying QoS/Shaping to their Uncapped products (which we don't offer) and capped data is unshaped.
Many people are having the same problem!

https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/963139-Exactly-who-is-shaping-throttling?p=21765065#post21765065

Rain will be shaping LTE between 18:00 and 23:00
https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/963271-Rain-will-be-shaping-LTE-between-18-00-and-23-00?p=21765033#post21765033
https://imgur.com/a/x5RGsy5

I guess it is time to look for another service!

Last edited:

dee4dog

So Seems [MENTION=323060]AfriGenie[/MENTION] and [MENTION=192591]AfriMan[/MENTION] does not know what they are talking about! Afrihost taking us for fools, selling a capped shaped product as "unshaped"....time to investigate a alternative

Reza01

I was on the verge of taking out a contract with Afrihost but the fact that Rain going to shape fixed lte there is no chance I will even consider. I am so lost as to which ISP to go for at the moment as Cell C is not in range and no fibre in my area :(.

I'm sitting with a Telkom adsl 4meg line (max for my area) thats just getting me nowhere slowly and now this had to happen.

Talk about internet problems and we're in 2018

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep
I was on the verge of taking out a contract with Afrihost but the fact that Rain going to shape fixed lte there is no chance I will even consider. I am so lost as to which ISP to go for at the moment as Cell C is not in range and no fibre in my area :(.

I'm sitting with a Telkom adsl 4meg line (max for my area) thats just getting me nowhere slowly and now this had to happen.

Talk about internet problems and we're in 2018
I think there is confusion around this. As far as I understand, RAIN will only be shaping Uncapped Mobile Data on their direct services, but Fixed Wireless products (which are capped) will not be shaped.

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep
So Seems [MENTION=323060]AfriGenie[/MENTION] and [MENTION=192591]AfriMan[/MENTION] does not know what they are talking about! Afrihost taking us for fools, selling a capped shaped product as "unshaped"....time to investigate a alternative
The product is definitely unshaped - we do know that RAIN are applying shaping to their own Mobile products, specifically their Uncapped options.

dee4dog

The product is definitely unshaped - we do know that RAIN are applying shaping to their own Mobile products, specifically their Uncapped options.
Rain-Download-Speeds.jpg
[MENTION=192591]AfriMan[/MENTION] this graph mimics my speeds exactly, how is this not shaping? p2p traffic throttled to exactly 100 kb/s, that is 3% of what I usually get, and this between 18h00 and 23h00 exactly. This with a fixed capped acount! Ask any of your fixed Rain LTE clients!

I think there is confusion around this. As far as I understand, RAIN will only be shaping Uncapped Mobile Data on their direct services, but Fixed Wireless products (which are capped) will not be shaped.
That's not true, I suggest you have a chat with RAIN before you continue saying this. The fixed LTE is being shaped.

Quicks

Do Afrihost sales reps read what people post? do you understand what you are reading?

Please try and do some research and get back to your clients with an proper answer, and not some generic crap on some spread sheet on front of you!

Do you guys think we have nothing better to do then complain or something?

Reza01

Please AfriMan just ask Rain and confirm. So many users experiencing the same problem so there must be an issue. I really want to take out a fixed lte deal with AH but I do need confirmation from Rain themselves.

AfriGenie

Afrihost
Company Rep
Please AfriMan just ask Rain and confirm. So many users experiencing the same problem so there must be an issue. I really want to take out a fixed lte deal with AH but I do need confirmation from Rain themselves.
I can confirm with 100% certainty that there is no shaping or throttling being applied to our Fixed Wireless packages that run on the RAIN LTE-A network.

If anyone is having anything less than a great experience we need to follow-up on this, and log it with RAIN so that they can investigate this from their side and find out what's going on.

Polemus

Expert Member
I can confirm with 100% certainty that there is no shaping or throttling being applied to our Fixed Wireless packages that run on the RAIN LTE-A network.

If anyone is having anything less than a great experience we need to follow-up on this, and log it with RAIN so that they can investigate this from their side and find out what's going on.
I am on fixed wireless with you guys .. paying 1600p/m. I've been experiencing that graph for almost a month now...

Quicks

Don't bother signing up they clearly are not interested in helping new or existing clients.

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep
I am on fixed wireless with you guys .. paying 1600p/m. I've been experiencing that graph for almost a month now...
We can definitely confirm that the product we resell as capped is not shaped. However, if there is local congestion on the nearby tower, that may have similar symptoms to shaping, but it's not something that's applied by policy.

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep
Don't bother signing up they clearly are not interested in helping new or existing clients.
We are definitely interested in helping all our clients. We're reporting any issues of slow performance to RAIN (we just need clients to fill out a form) so that they can investigate and improve coverage in the area.

Quicks

We can definitely confirm that the product we resell as capped is not shaped. However, if there is local congestion on the nearby tower, that may have similar symptoms to shaping, but it's not something that's applied by policy.
We are definitely interested in helping all our clients. We're reporting any issues of slow performance to RAIN (we just need clients to fill out a form) so that they can investigate and improve coverage in the area.
I give up its like talking to a brick wall, Rain will have less congestion on one tower by the end if this month.

Did you even bother reading the responses and proof other people provided?

Feel free to ignore this https://mybroadband.co.za/news/cellular/267937-rain-mobile-is-heavily-throttling-speeds-and-its-not-just-downloads.html

Last edited:

Dan C

Honorary Master
I give up its like talking to a brick wall, Rain will have less congestion on one tower by the end if this month.

Did you even bother reading the responses and proof other people provided?
This is South Africa, everyone turns on Showmax on at exactly 6pm. No wonder there is congestion.

MirageF1

Expert Member
This is South Africa, everyone turns on Showmax on at exactly 6pm. No wonder there is congestion.
Hey, speak for yourself, not everyone watches movies and inane series daily as a matter of course. :)