Heavy shaping of Rain Lte since rain Mobile Launch!

AfriGenie

Afrihost
Company Rep
I give up its like talking to a brick wall, Rain will have less congestion on one tower by the end if this month.

Did you even bother reading the responses and proof other people provided?

Feel free to ignore this https://mybroadband.co.za/news/cellular/267937-rain-mobile-is-heavily-throttling-speeds-and-its-not-just-downloads.html
I really do understand your frustration, but there is a definite difference between a RAIN Mobile product and a RAIN Fixed Wireless product. We're in no was disputing that anyone is having a poor experience, but if you are experiencing poor speeds it is due to a signal issue or there being high-demand on the tower. This is no way due to intentional shaping or throttling on the Fixed Wireless product.

To resolve this we get some information related to your address and usage patterns and send this through to RAIN so that they can investigate this from their side and get the issue resolved.

MirageF1

Expert Member
To resolve this we get some information related to your address and usage patterns and send this through to RAIN so that they can investigate this from their side and get the issue resolved.
Try might be a better word to use. You can't promise a resolution w/out knowing if it's possible to resolve.

Jonathanap

If AfriMan says it, it is so!

I'm Laughing so hard at your quote there, because I call Afrihost Service Provider, " The strict Old Tannie, It is her way or no way .... What a coincidence I would find it is true all red round

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Try might be a better word to use. You can't promise a resolution w/out knowing if it's possible to resolve.
Most of these issues are possible to solve and we'll do our best to resolve it.

dee4dog

I really do understand your frustration, but there is a definite difference between a RAIN Mobile product and a RAIN Fixed Wireless product. We're in no was disputing that anyone is having a poor experience, but if you are experiencing poor speeds it is due to a signal issue or there being high-demand on the tower. This is no way due to intentional shaping or throttling on the Fixed Wireless product.

[bump] [MENTION=323060]AfriGenie[/MENTION] , please don't take this to personal but you do not have a clue what you are talking about, please stop reading your script provided by your imployer and start engaging with rain to change the situation, or you WILL lose clients! They are INTENTOINALY shaping data for Fixed line clients!! They admitted it and we have proof!!! I wil keep on bumping this thread to remind prospective Rain clients to stay away, until the situation change, or i find a alternative provider!

bboy

Expert Member
Mr Afriman, Afrigenie and Afrinatic as you guys are so sure there is no shaping on FIXED LTE between 6-11... who can I send my customer code/whatever it is.. to have a good look at my account?

I do not think my tower is congested either

9:43pm speedtest

bboy

Expert Member
Steam maxing out at 500k SHAPED

Last edited:

bboy

Expert Member
Speedtest over VPN(SA) to SA server SHAPED

Speedtest with same VPN(SA) to SA server, on TELKOM LTE .. NOT SHAPED

AfriGenie

Afrihost
Company Rep
Speedtest over VPN(SA) to SA server SHAPED

Speedtest with same VPN(SA) to SA server, on TELKOM LTE .. NOT SHAPED

Please drop me a PM with your account details so that I can look into this from my side.

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep
Hey guys

I know there has been a lot discussion around this.

We've been informed that RAIN are going to be implementing traffic management on their network (applying to RAIN mobile and Fixed products).

As per the notification we received, RAIN will be prioritizing real time traffic, such as video streaming, voice and web browsing, over non-real time traffic, such as large file downloads and torrents.

As far as I am aware, this is being implemented now and will be in place going forward and will be in place between 18:00 and 23:00.

dee4dog

Hey guys

I know there has been a lot discussion around this.

We've been informed that RAIN are going to be implementing traffic management on their network (applying to RAIN mobile and Fixed products).

As per the notification we received, RAIN will be prioritizing real time traffic, such as video streaming, voice and web browsing, over non-real time traffic, such as large file downloads and torrents.

As far as I am aware, this is being implemented now and will be in place going forward and will be in place between 18:00 and 23:00.
This .....just shows that Afrihost has absolutely no idea whats going on. I started this tread on the 14th of June! They denied it all along... til now! Rain has suspended sales of fixed Lte, not only wil they not get any new customers they wil lose existing customers!!!

AfriGenie

Afrihost
Company Rep
This .....just shows that Afrihost has absolutely no idea whats going on. I started this tread on the 14th of June! They denied it all along... til now! Rain has suspended sales of fixed Lte, not only wil they not get any new customers they wil lose existing customers!!!
As far as I am aware this was only implemented towards the end of July. :( I do now this decision wasn't reach lightly and it remains RAIN's priority to ensure that each person has the best possible experience on their Fixed Wireless package.

Dan C

Honorary Master
Tested yesterday.

Using netflix speedtest.
fast.com

5 min to 6pm - 27 Mbps
5 min after 6PM - 6 Mbps

froot

Honorary Master
So all of a sudden (since rain mobile launch) Afrihost heavily shapes my capped data in the evenings, basically the only time i use it! General drop in speeds as well! [MENTION=192591]AfriMan[/MENTION] wil this be permanent ? if so i wil have to make alternative arrangments.
Late reply to this, but I concur.

:( Those are disappointing speeds. Did you see the latency increase at all?
If it is an unshaped product (I don't know if any system changes were made since that time), how come I can get great speedtests, but get horrible speed results on Steam?
Until 11pm last night, Steam was chugging along at 500KBps.
After 11, it went up to 7MBps and never went below 5MBps.

I know there was load on the network, because my speedtests went up from 20Mbps to 70Mbps, but this is definitely shaping.

UntoldFable

So... Afrihost spends almost two months denying the shaping of fixed wireless even when presented with irrefutable evidence from multiple sources. That's either gross negligence or deception, either way I no longer want Afrihost as my ISP. After 6 years of recommending them i'm going to put equal effort into making sure any friends and family stay well away from Afrihost. Myself included obviously. Such a shame.

AfriGenie

Afrihost
Company Rep
So... Afrihost spends almost two months denying the shaping of fixed wireless even when presented with irrefutable evidence from multiple sources. That's either gross negligence or deception, either way I no longer want Afrihost as my ISP. After 6 years of recommending them i'm going to put equal effort into making sure any friends and family stay well away from Afrihost. Myself included obviously. Such a shame.
According to all of the information that I had received from RAIN, there was no shaping being applied to our Fixed Wireless packages. To my knowledge this only changed towards the end of July. It really wasn't our intention to be anything but open about this.

bboy

Expert Member
According to all of the information that I had received from RAIN, there was no shaping being applied to our Fixed Wireless packages. To my knowledge this only changed towards the end of July. It really wasn't our intention to be anything but open about this.
Look, its YOUR responsibility to know what the hell is going on with the product YOU are selling us.
Now how do I go about getting a refund for the last two months and then a cancellation, you have been misleading me about the service I have and now you finally come out with the truth?
You also took my details and all my information and said someone would contact me , this was on the 27-7, haven't heard a damn thing. What kind of service are you offering there, take money then let basic big f*** you to the customer?