Heavy shaping of Rain Lte since rain Mobile Launch!

bboy

Expert Member
Netflix shouldn't be throttled at all. :( The shaping will only affect downloads. What did your speedtests look like?
We have had enough of your "should nots". How about you give it to us in black and white what and what will not be throttled and shaped to death so we can then decided if we want to keep the pissy product you are offering?

dee4dog

We have had enough of your "should nots". How about you give it to us in black and white what and what will not be throttled and shaped to death so we can then decided if we want to keep the pissy product you are offering?
I have it on good athority. Rain made a wholsale deal for fixed LTE to resellers. This is now at an end as thy are suspending sales of fixed LTE. Basicly Rain can now do what they will without any acountability (promices on non shaping etc) from their Initial Fixed LTE resellers to us their clients! Time to Move ON!

eagle2k

Definitely still shaping HEAVILY. In bloemfontein. My speedtest go up to 30mbps line but the in the evening i get speeds of up to 100kbps which is equal to less than 2mbps line.... By the way - getting the same results from Webafrica selling Cell C although not that much. Getting speeds of 300kbps in the evenings.. But rain does do better during the day.

Luckily getting fiber. Will be cancelling all LTE over promoted cheating stuff

AfriGenie

Afrihost
Company Rep
Look, its YOUR responsibility to know what the hell is going on with the product YOU are selling us.
Now how do I go about getting a refund for the last two months and then a cancellation, you have been misleading me about the service I have and now you finally come out with the truth?
You also took my details and all my information and said someone would contact me , this was on the 27-7, haven't heard a damn thing. What kind of service are you offering there, take money then let basic big f*** you to the customer?
Only P2P and HTTP downloads will be shaped during peak-times, this is specifically downloads like torrents. This won't affect real-time services, in your case you were seeing a drop in overall performance in your connection which was also reflected in your speedtest speeds dropping out significantly. This isn't caused by the shaping, which is why I sent the information that you provided me with through to RAIN so that they can investigate it.

You should have received a call from RAIN by now, so I will follow-up with them and check what's going on.

AfriGenie

Afrihost
Company Rep
I have it on good athority. Rain made a wholsale deal for fixed LTE to resellers. This is now at an end as thy are suspending sales of fixed LTE. Basicly Rain can now do what they will without any acountability (promices on non shaping etc) from their Initial Fixed LTE resellers to us their clients! Time to Move ON!
From the 1st of November on-wards this will apply to Afrihost, and the Fixed Wireless packages won't be available through us.

bboy

Expert Member
Only P2P and HTTP downloads will be shaped during peak-times, this is specifically downloads like torrents. This won't affect real-time services, in your case you were seeing a drop in overall performance in your connection which was also reflected in your speedtest speeds dropping out significantly. This isn't caused by the shaping, which is why I sent the information that you provided me with through to RAIN so that they can investigate it.

You should have received a call from RAIN by now, so I will follow-up with them and check what's going on.
WTF???

Did you not see what I said?

I do not think my tower is congested either

9:43pm speedtest

Obviously no overall speed drop

Speedtest over VPN(SA) to SA server SHAPED

Speedtest with same VPN(SA) to SA server, on TELKOM LTE .. NOT SHAPED

bboy

Expert Member
Of course maybe you consider a VPN not to be a realtime service.

AfriGenie

Afrihost
Company Rep
Of course maybe you consider a VPN not to be a realtime service.
I'm honestly not sure how the RAIN network treats VPN traffic. Do you know where the VPN server that you are connecting to is located?

froot

Honorary Master

The problem with that is, is that my browsing is also heavily affected now. Youtube is buffering, websites heavily embedded with images and whatnot are seriously slow :(

bboy

Expert Member
The problem with that is, is that my browsing is also heavily affected now. Youtube is buffering, websites heavily embedded with images and whatnot are seriously slow :(
good luck.. they don't listen to us.. they don't care.. they've never called me ONCE even though they promised to many times. They are just gonna reply to you with a " oh no (sad face) that shouldnt be happening.. can you send us this info"... and then later on say .. "we dont actually know what rain does.. we just sell you the product.. but have absolutely zero interest in supporting it "

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep
It could be due to congestion over and above the shaping in the evening. We would have to report to RAIN so their engineers can investigate :(

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep
good luck.. they don't listen to us.. they don't care.. they've never called me ONCE even though they promised to many times. They are just gonna reply to you with a " oh no (sad face) that shouldnt be happening.. can you send us this info"... and then later on say .. "we dont actually know what rain does.. we just sell you the product.. but have absolutely zero interest in supporting it "
We definitely do listen and we absolutely care - we're always concerned if our clients are not getting the best experience possible.

Jake45

Expert Member
From the 1st of November on-wards this will apply to Afrihost, and the Fixed Wireless packages won't be available through us.
AfriGenie or AfriMan: Can you tell us exactly what is going to happen with the current Afrihost Rain Fixed LTE users in November?

Will we be able to continue using Rain at the double data promotional pricing after November?

Will Afrihost be disconnecting all of the current Rain users and only offering Cell C Fixed LTE products after November?

Are there any plans to allow us to easily migrate to the Cell C packages?

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep
AfriGenie or AfriMan: Can you tell us exactly what is going to happen with the current Afrihost Rain Fixed LTE users in November?

Will we be able to continue using Rain at the double data promotional pricing after November?

Will Afrihost be disconnecting all of the current Rain users and only offering Cell C Fixed LTE products after November?

Are there any plans to allow us to easily migrate to the Cell C packages?
At the moment we haven not confirmed if Double Data will be extended - we'll have to wait until it's annnounced closer to the time.

We have no plans to cancel RAIN services - we have only been asked to pause new sales until RAIN resolve some issues on their side.

We do plan to have a feature to migrate between products - I don't have an ETA at this stage though :(

Jake45

Expert Member
Afriman many thanks for the clarification. Currently Rain does offer a bit more value than Cell C with the data rollover feature although the service has deteriorated since the launch of the uncapped mobile products. I'll stick with Rain in the meantime and hope that they manage to improve the slow speeds and extend or improve the current double data offers. If they don't extend the current deals then I'm sure that most of their fixed LTE users will migrate to Cell C.

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep
Afriman many thanks for the clarification. Currently Rain does offer a bit more value than Cell C with the data rollover feature although the service has deteriorated since the launch of the uncapped mobile products. I'll stick with Rain in the meantime and hope that they manage to improve the slow speeds and extend or improve the current double data offers. If they don't extend the current deals then I'm sure that most of their fixed LTE users will migrate to Cell C.
They're both really great products, so I think it's always about what product will give you the best experience based on price, coverage and package.