Hefty fines for homeless people for obstructing pavements in Cape Town

smi

Expert Member
Well at least I try, I don't spit on those less fortunate than me, unlike some here.

C4Cat

Executive Member
There is bed space at many shelters but the majority currently on the street chose remain on the street. They are repeatedly offered assistance but refuse. This is a fact.
What is the reason they refuse? Why would they rather sleep on the streets instead of a shelter with beds?

WorldWarII

cop gets out ticket book
Cop : address?
Homeless : ....... :(
Cop : Nooot Applicebble

Cop : Occupation?
Homeless : moootherffffkker
Cop : eish. NA

Nanfeishen

Executive Member
What is the reason they refuse? Why would they rather sleep on the streets instead of a shelter with beds?
The ones I have spoken to say the same thing, they get robbed, abused and treated badly, and they dont trust the people at the shelters.

gamer16

Executive Member
So they will be locked up because they can't pay the fine... They are then no longer homeless as Polsmor will become their home.
One of the few places in the world that WILL turn you into a criminal doesn't mater how innocent you are going in.

RaptorSA

Expert Member
These types of extermination programs fail historically because people start breeding the animals because that's easier than catching the wild ones.
I can already see locally bred roaming homeless herds being rounded up by "Splinter" the tame street rat when the sun starts to set.
Fair enough.
Slavery it is.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
not a single person here is grateful for their fortune. Could any of you imagine the streets today in this weather. Yet go kicking those with a hard life. What have you done for them? Disgraceful, easy to talk crap, it costs nothing. Requires no thought either
Well, then you go and do something about it and stop them causing issues for other people.

yebocan

Executive Member
not a single person here is grateful for their fortune. Could any of you imagine the streets today in this weather. Yet go kicking those with a hard life. What have you done for them? Disgraceful, easy to talk crap, it costs nothing. Requires no thought either
Attitude of, Not my problem - ...I admit, I am guilty of it, - Personally, I just don't have the energy. Trying to keep my own crap together... with the political,economic environment we navigating .... and not forgetting dealing with shitty people.

The Free Radical

A large part of the reason people want to stay on the street is because there are no rules and they don't have to answer to anyone. Their behavior gravitates towards the the anti-social, anti-establishment side of the behavioral spectrum the longer they stay on the street. The longer a person has lived on the street, the harder it is to rehabilitae them and bring them back into conformity with society's norms or to re-integrate them with families and communities. This is why most of the interventions are focused on the new faces on the streets, because they are not so far down the track of various vices and are less initiated in gang activities.

The 'prison numbers gang's' (26's, 25's and 28s) members on parole usually live in separate areas, and control geographic footprints in the city, where they do crime, sell drugs and eek out a living doing car guarding and car washing. In recent years they have infiltrated established homeless groups of non-criminals to camouflage themselves and evade detection.

Another strong reason they remain on the streets is because of becoming addicted to drugs and alcohol, which started off as a way to numb out their abject reality, and then became an evil habit which can only be fed and funded by petty crime.

There is another group, which is growing, made up of undocumented aliens from other parts of Africa, who have no means of repatriation or formalizing their papers because of the lack of processing facilities at Home Affairs. They are literally marooned here without papers or a means to return home.