Hefty fines for homeless people for obstructing pavements in Cape Town

crysis

Expert Member
A large part of the reason people want to stay on the street is because there are no rules and they don't have to answer to anyone. Their behavior gravitates towards the the anti-social, anti-establishment side of the behavioral spectrum the longer they stay on the street. The longer a person has lived on the street, the harder it is to rehabilitae them and bring them back into conformity with society's norms or to re-integrate them with families and communities. This is why most of the interventions are focused on the new faces on the streets, because they are not so far down the track of various vices and are less initiated in gang activities.

The 'prison numbers gang's' (26's, 25's and 28s) members on parole usually live in separate areas, and control geographic footprints in the city, where they do crime, sell drugs and eek out a living doing car guarding and car washing. In recent years they have infiltrated established homeless groups of non-criminals to camouflage themselves and evade detection.

Another strong reason they remain on the streets is because of becoming addicted to drugs and alcohol, which started off as a way to numb out their abject reality, and then became an evil habit which can only be fed and funded by petty crime.

There is another group, which is growing, made up of undocumented aliens from other parts of Africa, who have no means of repatriation or formalizing their papers because of the lack of processing facilities at Home Affairs. They are literally marooned here without papers or a means to return home.
Unfortunately this is just too much logic for some people.

The Free Radical

When they write out the fine...do they ask for an address?
Official policies have changed at the magistrates courts in recent times. If a person has no fixed address, the location (either a description of the generality where they committed the offense, or GPS coordinates) will suffice in terms of due process.

Officers issue the fines and take a photo of the person holding up the fine, and the area. This face pic and fine (showing fine number) in one photo are all the evidence required to meet the court's requirement to establish who was fined, and where.

Fines are only issued after exhaustive attempts to warn bylaw offenders with multiple official compliance notices. Lots of fair and reasonable warning is given in advance of issuing fines. Fines are a last resort.

This very important fact is not mentioned in the original GroundUp article, because of their publication's ultra left SJW narrative and apparent lack of rudimentary fact-checking.

Last edited:

The Free Radical

Malema: DA decision to fine homeless people shows they're anti-black

The Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) said they would be not be voting with the Democratic Alliance (DA) following reports of homeless people who were fined for occupying pavements in Cape Town.
What a crock of dung.

SAPS (under ANC-led National Government) spent a good part of a week forcibly turfing out vagrants in the CBD and along the main corridors to Parliament in the run-up to SONA so that the likes of the ANC and EFF ministers and dignitaries did not have to lay eyes on the poor victims of their abysmal up-liftment anti-investment policies.

Many were tossed into police vans and forcibly removed to who knows where. SAPS did this, not the City's Law Enforcement!

Source: https://ewn.co.za/2019/07/02/malema-da-decision-to-fine-homeless-people-shows-they-re-anti-black

Last edited:

MEIOT

Expert Member
The only real solutions here is slavery. Open up a shelter and make them work to earn their keep, with an option to buy back their freedom if they can accumulte enough money to pay the fines and whatever other cost necessary.
Related to Verwoerd perhaps?

smi

Expert Member
There is bed space at many shelters but the majority currently on the street chose remain on the street. They are repeatedly offered assistance but refuse. This is a fact.

If you feel so strongly about their plight please sign up as a volunteer at a homeless shelter or soup kitchen, or set up a debit order to their bank accounts. Hell, you can even be a really really special nice person and let them sleep on your sofa at night or set up play dates or them and your kids.

Remember - Give Responsibly.
I do what I can when I can, buy them some food, drink. if you have ever been homeless, without any support structure you may look and feel differently. I have been there, without anything over my head. It was horrendous. My sympathy runs deep for these people. Shitty situation they face.

ambroseg1

Honorary Master
I do what I can when I can, buy them some food, drink. if you have ever been homeless, without any support structure you may look and feel differently. I have been there, without anything over my head. It was horrendous. My sympathy runs deep for these people. Shitty situation they face.
So no inviting them to live with you?

Alan

Honorary Master
Shelters has got rules.

Some of these people want to live by their own rules and let society pay the price.
To be fair a lot of them are Schizophrenic

Well that's a bit of a let down frankly. Was expecting so much more.

Seriously though what do you suggest be done?

RedViking

Nord of the South
(didn't read the article yet)

What is the fine? No drugs and alcohol for a week ?

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Indeed it is, as well as the people they live in front of or have to walk where they live. How would you feel if 10 people came to live on your sidewalk? Making noise all night and burning all kind of things making thick black smoke?

JungleBoy

Executive Member
A fine or alternatively jail time. I am sure many will take jail time. Free bed, free food, free Dstv

stroller

Expert Member
Is kibbutz not the answer?
Not just for the homeless but also for the unemployed?